Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD, would like that $1K back please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW I finally got a reply to my complaint about the screwjob on early FSD buyers (days after I sent it)- it claims I will be getting a $1000 refund (to match the price the EAP only buyers are being offered- though not the $3000 one I should be getting to match the price the didn't-buy-either guys are getting).

That's certainly less of a kick in the you-know-where than the previous offer of "You can work for us for free alpha testing software, maybe!" though I still consider it insufficient.

I'd be fine with 1k cash and SOMETHING of actual value if they genuinely can't afford 3k cash (though they somehow had 5k to give all the P buyers...)... examples of one or more of the SOMETHING that'd probably be reasonable (and cost them little to nothing now, and possibly nothing long term for many of em):

Extended warranty

Free 2/4 year services

Free supercharging

Explicit priority (and I mean ACTUAL priority, not some of the BS priority they did on M3 reservation holders) for HW3 upgrade AND for release-level software updates (maybe that update on demand button Elon has talked about)

How did you contact them? $1K back won’t make me happy but will pacify me.

I guess sometimes you just can’t help the clueless to understand a point.

Sometimes you just can't get the entitled to get over themselves...

Prices change. Period. Yes yes I know, unreleased feature which feels more like a pre-order if you will... Blah... Blah... Blah... Me personally, anyone who's followed Tesla for longer than 2 minutes should know better than to believe anything Elon promises with regards to damn near anything, ESPECIALLY software... Paying for FSD as part of your purchase was an error on your part and while I see why Tesla is in the wrong there, buyer beware... EAP? Who cares if the price changes...??? You got what you paid for when you paid for it...

I don't know, for me, I just don't get worked up over $1K...

Jeff

Prices change. Period. Yes yes I know, unreleased feature which feels more like a pre-order if you will... Blah... Blah... Blah... Me personally, anyone who's followed Tesla for longer than 2 minutes should know better than to believe anything Elon promises with regards to damn near anything, ESPECIALLY software... Paying for FSD as part of your purchase was an error on your part and while I see why Tesla is in the wrong there, buyer beware... EAP? Who cares if the price changes...??? You got what you paid for when you paid for it...

It's not that prices changed, it is that Tesla stated on the order page that EAP and FSD would be cheaper if you bought it at purchase then if you bought it after purchase. Then they went back on that statement and offered it for less after purchase. I don't care at all that new purchasers have different/lower prices. Prices change, but Tesla should stand behind what they say. This was not something in an Elon tweet, it was right in the order page so should have been official from the company.

It's not that prices changed, it is that Tesla stated on the order page that EAP and FSD would be cheaper if you bought it at purchase then if you bought it after purchase. Then they went back on that statement and offered it for less after purchase. I don't care at all that new purchasers have different/lower prices. Prices change, but Tesla should stand behind what they say. This was not something in an Elon tweet, it was right in the order page so should have been official from the company.

Wait, if that's your issue then I have even LESS sympathy for you... Seriously??? You're upset because the price after delivery changed??? Good god people... Stop whining and grow up... Yikes...

Yes, yes, move this post to snippiness... I'm just tired of the toddler whining because a price changed...

Jeff

Wait, if that's your issue then I have even LESS sympathy for you... Seriously??? You're upset because the price after delivery changed??? Good god people... Stop whining and grow up... Yikes...

Yes, yes, move this post to snippiness... I'm just tired of the toddler whining because a price changed...

Jeff

I don’t think you read their post at all, lol. That is not even the issue they called out.

FWIW I finally got a reply to my complaint about the screwjob on early FSD buyers (days after I sent it)- it claims I will be getting a $1000 refund (to match the price the EAP only buyers are being offered- though not the $3000 one I should be getting to match the price the didn't-buy-either guys are getting).

That's certainly less of a kick in the you-know-where than the previous offer of "You can work for us for free alpha testing software, maybe!" though I still consider it insufficient.

I'd be fine with 1k cash and SOMETHING of actual value if they genuinely can't afford 3k cash (though they somehow had 5k to give all the P buyers...)... examples of one or more of the SOMETHING that'd probably be reasonable (and cost them little to nothing now, and possibly nothing long term for many of em):

Extended warranty

Free 2/4 year services

Free supercharging

Explicit priority (and I mean ACTUAL priority, not some of the BS priority they did on M3 reservation holders) for HW3 upgrade AND for release-level software updates (maybe that update on demand button Elon has talked about)
Can you post the reply that you got from Tesla please

Can you post the reply that you got from Tesla please

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla.

You are going to be refunded a partial amount ($1,000). We are working diligently to get all of these processes updated this week. We will have more information soon. Thank you for your patience. I apologize for the frustration and confusion.

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).

Best Regards,

Trina | Tesla Support
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support
uzmAQwfVbNckadiJmJDCyMUOFI9uqxOAiO4gkC6XhX4zsc0wDXrC9FS3qR0bnrnhISlnNORnPja9eqgxgHgbRAlPBDq51fTgpz4OXD-yn2ZN0TsqytxVGpKOWBsT4Zg13lUQClVpDS6P4GL4S1tCc61Bq-O0wg=s0-d-e1-ft

This will be my attempt at explaining why those of us that paid 3k for FSD months ago expect a $1K refund.

First the facts:
- I paid for my car in July last year, paid $5k for EAP, additional $3k for FSD
- At time of purchase, FSD was presented as $3k now, $4k if purchased later
- Elon had tweeted a month before that he was expected the first features of FSD to be available in August, as part of 9.0 update (2018)

Today:
- I have enjoyed EAP since July; had I not purchased it, I could get EAP+FSD for $5k now instead of $8k I spent; I don't care about that, classic upsell promotion to get existing owners to spend more on their cars, sounds fine with me
- I still haven't received FSD though, had I waited today, I could pre-order it for $2k, instead of the $3k I preordered it for. I am very bothered by this

Why am I bothered:
- Unlike EAP, this product is not delivered yet, never heard of any other pre-ordering experiences, from any brand, where people pay more than others without a partial refund.
- The ONLY reason to pre-order FSD was the discount; there were no other listed benefits (no promise of Early Access Program, getting the feature early, getting hardware, etc...), the ONLY thing that was listed is $3k now or $4k later.
What was sold then was the promise of a discount.
In other words, Groupon. You spend $30 on Groupon for a $40 restaurant certificate (paying cheaper now to save money later). Then you show up at the restaurant, and they tell you the terms of your certificate has changed since you bought it, and the meal you can get from it is listed at $20 on their menu. Wouldn't you demand Groupon to give you $10 back at a minimum, as the ONLY reason to use them in the first place was to save money?

I am not a confrontational guy, and I love this car, so I am willing to be understanding with this, and accept a $1k credit on my account towards supercharging or purchase of accessories, future vehicle, etc... but that $1k in value needs to be recovered somehow

I agree.. Tesla should give the $1000 back to you as soon as you provide them with a new Tesla for the last ~8 months you’ve been driving this one.

Prices change. Sometimes to our benefit. Sometimes not. At the time it was the right decision. Get over it.

Hello,

You are going to be refunded a partial amount ($1,000). We are working diligently to get all of these processes updated this week. We will have more information soon. Thank you for your patience. I apologize for the frustration and confusion.

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).

Best Regards,

Trina | Tesla Support
uzmAQwfVbNckadiJmJDCyMUOFI9uqxOAiO4gkC6XhX4zsc0wDXrC9FS3qR0bnrnhISlnNORnPja9eqgxgHgbRAlPBDq51fTgpz4OXD-yn2ZN0TsqytxVGpKOWBsT4Zg13lUQClVpDS6P4GL4S1tCc61Bq-O0wg=s0-d-e1-ft
Hello,

Best Regards,

Trina | Tesla Support
Knightshade When did you order and take delivery of your vehicle? Did you pay $5,000 for EAP and $3,000 for FSD at the time you ordered your car and take delivery before 2019? I read that only those who ordered and took delivery before 2019 and paid only for EAP for $5,000 at the time of order and then added FSD after delivery for $3,000 or more would be entitled to the $1,000 refund. Is that your case?

Knightshade When did you order and take delivery of your vehicle? Did you pay $5,000 for EAP and $3,000 for FSD at the time you ordered your car and take delivery before 2019? I read that only those who ordered and took delivery before 2019 and paid only for EAP for $5,000 at the time of order and then added FSD after delivery for $3,000 or more would be entitled to the $1,000 refund. Is that your case?

Ordered late June (right before lifetime data ended), took delivery end of September, both 2018, and paid 5k/3k respectively prior to delivery for both EAP and FSD.

I did ask for 3k back. Their reply was I'd be getting 1k.

I'm waiting to see if I actually get anything at all, and/or if they announce anything at all generally regarding refunds before deciding how to move on from there (as any legal action would turn out better if they agreed they owe me SOMETHING and then don't even deliver on that, or they say something publicly to that effect)

Anyone who prepaid for both has lost 3k, not 1k.... since people who bought neither get both for 5k now, and those who prepaid both paid 8.

Some will claim you got to enjoy it during that period. But I disagree.

The only thing that reliably works is autosteer and speed. We did not get EAP yet. NoA is pretty risky, especially phantom braking. The whole thing is beta (even in Tesla’s words).

Not to mention the car can’t even do BSM, Rain Sensitive Wipers or Auto Highbeam correctly yet.

Yeah $1k might cool some jets but it really should be $3k. Because we were told with the order it would be $11k if you didn’t buy it with the car. REGARDLESS of new pricing.

If they can’t afford the cash then give us Store/Service credit on the account (that goes with the car if sold). Lots of good faith gestures they could do. Extended service contract, free super charging. Performance unlock. That would cost them very little in the long run. And earn back some loyalty they have recently eroded.

Last edited: