Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD - Y/N and why pls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there, I am totally a new Tesla buyer picking up a Model 3 this coming week (Toronto).

Apologies if this has been discussed before but is it worth to invest in a FSD at the time of purchasing the vehicle?

What are the general thoughts please and thanks!

Hey there, I am totally a new Tesla buyer picking up a Model 3 this coming week (Toronto).

Apologies if this has been discussed before but is it worth to invest in a FSD at the time of purchasing the vehicle?

What are the general thoughts please and thanks!

I would say yes because I like technology and love to be a beta tester for Tesla.

The part that I like best is its Auto Lane Change which it has been changing lane pretty well and safe on its own.

If you want to be a prudent consumer than you would not want to pay for a "beta" product. However, it might take many years to wait for FSD to be graduated from the beta phase.

As what currently offers, it's hard to justify its price by itself.

Nevertheless, I got it because the way I thought was like the way the first time I spent on $3600 GPS option before it became a standard thing: to support the future.

And really, when looking at these so called "options" from other manufacturers... you really have no choice. If you have ever played around any car manufacturer "build your own" tool, you'd realize that you either get the barebones... or once you start adding premium packages, they are intertwined and you can't cherry pick one or the other.

I remember when I was pricing out a Porsche... in order to get the option pkg I wanted, I needed to add another $3x00 pkg that came before that. No if or buts. and I remember all the "options" alone were over 10k and they are what I consider what's to expect on a car of that price range and caliber.

Tesla at least gave me pretty much a full car with only options for the battery pack, cosmetic touches and FSD, things that except the FSD, were personal preference.

What I do wish though... is for Tesla to just come out with the option to transfer FSD... or have the FSD attached to the account instead of cars.

I love my Tesla and I don't think I'd ever consider a non-Tesla car again except some exotics. But say I need at least 2 cars in my family and I want to get new car every 8-10years... it's going to be hard to justify to spend 9k or more on every Tesla we get down the road. By allowing current owners to pass down FSD, it increases loyalty and would incentivize people who are sitting on the fence about getting FSD to invest into it.

Reactions: VBCanada
For me it depends on driving habits. Lots of road trips it’s helpful. I only drive about 15 miles a day. Local trips only. For me not worth it. I rarely used it on my last Tesla.

I was in the same position. I really WANTED FSD but for me not getting it made it possible for me to get the AWD version instead of SR+. As another person mentioned already if it were a license that would be linked to a person I maybe would consider more. The main difference is honestly Navigate on Autopilot. I am sure it is nice to have the car changing lanes for you but 10k CAD nice? Not for me. If money is not a factor, for sure get it, if it is Autopilot is amazing enough. (and you can always buy FSD later)

Reactions: hcdavis3
For me it depends on driving habits. Lots of road trips it’s helpful. I only drive about 15 miles a day. Local trips only. For me not worth it. I rarely used it on my last Tesla.
Well I’m somewhat the opposite of you.. I bought FSD specifically for use in the city on the daily short drives! So far I have found it nice to have the stop on red light function. It’s still too early to call it a great feature, but when it matures hopefully within a year, it’ll be a fantastic safety and convenience feature to have.
I just got back from a road trip and I was on autopilot almost 90% of the time. On the long road trip I had no use for the extra functions that come with FSD.

Reactions: uhsay and hcdavis3
I would say yes because I like technology and love to be a beta tester for Tesla.

The part that I like best is its Auto Lane Change which it has been changing lane pretty well and safe on its own.

If you want to be a prudent consumer than you would not want to pay for a "beta" product. However, it might take many years to wait for FSD to be graduated from the beta phase.

agreed.. I got FSD and from a techy point of view it’s more than just the sum of its parts. I enjoy testing out new things, so that’s something I personally would miss.
And double yes to auto lane change, that is REALLY handy but I think is the first step towards making me a lazy driver not shoulder checking. It’s also working pretty well for me.. I would say 1/10 times I have to intervene because it refuses to change lanes on my request. I haven’t figured out what conditions cause that situation yet.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I bought it. I don’t really expect it to become level 5 autonomous. That would be a bonus for me.

I am in my 60s. (BTW, being in the 60s was a whole lot more fun than being in my 60s.)

My average ownership of a vehicle, barring accidents, is over 10 years. I paid C$7,900 for FSD capability. Lots of people refer to buying FSD. No one is buying FSD. they are only buying FSD capability at this time.

I have older friends and relatives and I have seen their driving abilities deteriorate in their 70s and 80s, even though they may not accept that reality. I don’t consider myself to be some kind of superior human. I can’t see why my driving abilities would not deteriorate also or why I would see in myself what they don’t see in themselves.

I think I have a reasonable expectation that Tesla’s FSD capabilities will improve over time offsetting decreases in my driving abilities.

Reactions: raypratt and uhsay
I bought it. I don’t really expect it to become level 5 autonomous. That would be a bonus for me.

I am in my 60s. (BTW, being in the 60s was a whole lot more fun than being in my 60s.)

My average ownership of a vehicle, barring accidents, is over 10 years. I paid C$7,900 for FSD capability. Lots of people refer to buying FSD. No one is buying FSD. they are only buying FSD capability at this time.

I have older friends and relatives and I have seen their driving abilities deteriorate in their 70s and 80s, even though they may not accept that reality. I don’t consider myself to be some kind of superior human. I can’t see why my driving abilities would not deteriorate also or why I would see in myself what they don’t see in themselves.

I think I have a reasonable expectation that Tesla’s FSD capabilities will improve over time offsetting decreases in my driving abilities.

my kids are 1 and 5. I would be over the moon happy if my car can take them to friends houses even in five years. Drool.

I opted for FSD on my M3 and don't regret it. One of the reasons was I do a lot of country driving to see family. The other reason was, at the time, what's a Tesla without it. Now I realise the M3 is so much fun to drive regardless. Its been great to be part of the development of the FSD and the difference since I took delivery of mine in Oct is remarkable. I now travel in moderate traffic on dual lane freeway in full autonomy mode using lane changing when necessary. The only problem I've had is when the road camber is excessive and the side camera can't see edge marking (2 lane problem). It will baulk at changing. Overall driving experience is enhanced, more relaxing I find when you build confidence and experience.

I bought EAP with the car and then FSD when it was on fire sale. If I were to buy another Tesla today, I don’t know if I would pony up almost $10k for that option. I don’t have faith that any sort of FSD will be here in 5 years but I do use things like Summon and auto lane change all the time. Are those worth ~$10k though? I’m not sure. :s

Reactions: Techniques