Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your payment for FSD gave you the following:
  1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon
  5. Smart Summon
  6. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control
  7. Autosteer on City Streets (Coming Soon)
FSD Beta is an invitation-only early release for testing of Autosteer on City Streets. Once it is released from beta it will be given to everyone who purchased FSD and has appropriate hardware to support it. If you have an older car that does not support it, you may be given hardware updates, or offered hardware updates at a cost. If your car is too old for hardware updates, you will unfortunately not be able to get Autosteer on City Streets and may need to trade up to a newer model.

The money you spent is for the features you got (numbers 1-6), and the future release of number 7. If you don't assign any value to numbers 1-6, and all the value on number 7, then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed with your purchase, especially if you don't get invited into the early testing release.

These are facts, and don't change based on what Elon says on Twitter. The majority of people likely didn't even know Elon was on Twitter, didn't look at what he said on Twitter, or care what he said on Twitter before buying their Tesla.

My personal buying experience was: I was coming from a first-gen Chevy Bolt and looking for something with more range. I read articles about Tesla cars with their excellent range (reducing range anxiety), and reviewed articles from Car and Driver, Edmunds, and safety reports from Consumer Reports. These articles painted a picture of how fun the car is to drive, the range, the quality of the Super Charger network, and the top safety scores the Tesla Model Y had at the time. I read about potential build quality issues, and what to look out for when inspecting the car at delivery. I decided to pull the trigger and order my Model Y. While ordering my car I saw the FSD package and materials on Tesla's website about the capabilities of the various features listed above. I was excited for those features (coming from a Bolt which had no ADAS features beyond "dumb" cruise control), and the price was reasonable for my personal financial situation.

The features had some issues - such as Phantom Braking, which was concerning. I joined TMC to see if others had similar issues, and found that it was common. Then firmware updates started coming fairly frequently to the car and my issues started abating. I saw improvements, and eventually was invited into FSD Beta. Since my invite, I have tested diligently and seen improvements in the program.

For me, personally, my experience has been a positive one, and the money I spent is justified. I don't feel I've been "had" or swindled. But that's my personal experience. I remain optimistic about the future of the program.

Now you're probably going to hear from others who are not optimistic about the program, feel the money spent is not justified, the features have little/no value, and the CEO has lied repeatedly on social media about the capabilities and time-tables of the program. That is their experience. But it's up to you and your experiences that matters.

wait. you didnt think paying $12k granted you the RIGHT, to have FSD, did you? YOu have to wait for the privilege..if being asked in. On Tesla's timeline..not yours.

Many seem to confuse buying FSD with being in the beta program. It's like beta testing a pre-release version of any software that you have to buy a license for. You have to own the current version/license to be considered for testing the next version. If the feature you want is coming in the next version, you can wait until it's released and buy it then, or buy the current version (that doesn't have the feature you want) and try to get on the testers list to check it out. Of course realizing that it may delete your files, you shouldn't use it for production work, etc.

Certainly when you buy Photoshop, that doesn't give you the RIGHT to also get to use their upcoming pre-release version.

This says nothing about how long it's taking and the express/implied timelines that keep getting stretched. I'm just pointing out that the beta program and "FSD" (i.e. citiy streets driving) feature are two different things. One is a development/testing program, the other is the finished product (which is actually what is being paid for).

If they didn't have a beta program and no one saw anything about FSD until they were done... would you be just as upset?

Reactions: Twiglett
Is this true? Does using autopilot whenever possible increase likelihood of getting FSD sooner, even if it brings safety score down to 96-97?
All they look at is you used autosteer for at least 100 mi in the last 30 days.

By the way, using AP does not bring down you safety score. When you are on AP, nothing counts against you. This is well documented on Tesla's Site. Where I think people get confused is they are on AP, then they disengage to take an exit ramp or do something manually and at the time they disengage, they are too close to the car in front, so they get hit with close following.

This also leads to a high "too close" percentage because close following is only monitored when driving NOT on AP and above 50 mph. So for example, when you get to the top of an entrance ramp, you're going > 50mph and you have to merge into a busy highway. As soon as you merge, you engage AP, drive 30 miles and you think you're all set. However, what happened was for the 2s from when you merged until you engaged AP, you were too close... and since you were only above 50 and NOT on AP for a few seconds, the Safety Score will say a very high percentage of your manual driving was in the "too close" range.

if this happens (you can look at the current day's score in the app), it's a simple fix. Get on the highway and drive behind someone manually where you have about 2s of gap between you and that person. Just cruise there for several min. Then those few seconds of too close will be a very small fraction of the time you were manually driving and you will be back in the green.

Let’s see. Summon (smart???)I tried once, and its a complete embarrasment, so never again. Auto park has worked all of twice for me - both times at superchargers. Chimes at the lights is coming to everyone, so nothing there. None of it works right unless it has good speed limits in the maps, so that doesn’t work in rural areas where many - nearly half around here- are far off. I would never buy it again. Maybe someday, but by then my current cars will be long gone, and I will be too. Just an experiment in “Go Fund Me” for the richest guy in the world - a car salesman.

Best recommendation is just enjoy driving the car. My M3 is fun to drive. Forget the safety score. I have FSD beta and is nothing special. Driving on real city streets is a completely different skillset anyway and is the last place I would use it.

Funny how I thought it was a good idea to get an advanced safety capability to supplement my abilities to drive, especially as these abilities deteriorate with age. Now it takes so much more work to babysit this thing and be ready for it to do stupid things at any moment - and it does. I’m ready to dump the whole thing, as it does not improve safety and actually reduces my ability to drive safely due to paying so much extra attention to it. I guess thats why old folks are not typically pioneers. Musk sure made a fool of me. And I paid to be that fool, although not the price they are asking today. If only it could change lanes without all the other goofy stuff…

Reactions: 2101Guy
Funny how I thought it was a good idea to get an advanced safety capability to supplement my abilities to drive, especially as these abilities deteriorate with age. Now it takes so much more work to babysit this thing and be ready for it to do stupid things at any moment - and it does. I’m ready to dump the whole thing, as it does not improve safety and actually reduces my ability to drive safely due to paying so much extra attention to it. I guess thats why old folks are not typically pioneers. Musk sure made a fool of me. And I paid to be that fool, although not the price they are asking today. If only it could change lanes without all the other goofy stuff…
This is exactly how we feel--like we have been hoodwinked and cheated out of 10 grand. It is glitchy just with autopilot (cruise control). We have been looking at other e-cars and trucks, so will drive this until we can get a different-vehicle. This is a disappointment.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Your payment for FSD gave you the following:
  1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon
  5. Smart Summon
  6. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control
  7. Autosteer on City Streets (Coming Soon)
FSD Beta is an invitation-only early release for testing of Autosteer on City Streets. Once it is released from beta it will be given to everyone who purchased FSD and has appropriate hardware to support it. If you have an older car that does not support it, you may be given hardware updates, or offered hardware updates at a cost. If your car is too old for hardware updates, you will unfortunately not be able to get Autosteer on City Streets and may need to trade up to a newer model.

The money you spent is for the features you got (numbers 1-6), and the future release of number 7. If you don't assign any value to numbers 1-6, and all the value on number 7, then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed with your purchase, especially if you don't get invited into the early testing release. ................
Very well said. When I had the opportunity to buy FSD for $10,000, the most believable rumors were that it would be $100,000 when it became real and available, it appeared to be a reasonable investment. It's quite understandable that $100,000 will be cheap for what it does / will do. Seemed like a good investment, large risk, but huge rewards. So I bought it.

Now I can't place any value on 1-6 because I can't really use them. 1, 2 & 6 are so awful, I wouldn't even consider experimenting with 4 & 5 in an empty field. They function so randomly and unexpectedly they are far to dangerous to enable if there is traffic or obstacles visible in any direction. This hasn't bothered me much because FSD(Beta) was rumored to be different, unrelated software, and didn't have those problems. Watching Chuck Cook's videos on tips for new Tesla owners showed me - there is FSD(Beta) exhibiting the exact same crazy erratic behavior, with Chuck hilariously narrating and wondering why it was doing weird things. So it appears that FSD suffers from the same things that are a problem for 1, 2, 3, 4 . . .

I'm not bent out of shape about this. It was a high risk investment and I understood that. I still think the odds of it paying off are way better than lottery tickets. Will FSD happen in my lifetime? Probably not, but I don't care. If it doesn't, it goes with the car and one of my grandkids will benefit from it.

In the meantime, this thread has explained much better, the crazy things about my getting all the yellow splats from following too closely, even on days when the car wasn't driven. I am a little sore about my insurance going up $5 because of my safety score dropping from 100 to 99 after not driving the car for a couple of days? On the other hand, today the app shows every single yellow "unsafe following" splat for the last 31 days suddenly vanished this morning??? Nice. Wish I knew why.

Very well said. When I had the opportunity to buy FSD for $10,000, the most believable rumors were that it would be $100,000 when it became real and available, it appeared to be a reasonable investment. It's quite understandable that $100,000 will be cheap for what it does / will do. Seemed like a good investment, large risk, but huge rewards. So I bought it.

Now I can't place any value on 1-6 because I can't really use them. 1, 2 & 6 are so awful, I wouldn't even consider experimenting with 4 & 5 in an empty field. They function so randomly and unexpectedly they are far to dangerous to enable if there is traffic or obstacles visible in any direction. This hasn't bothered me much because FSD(Beta) was rumored to be different, unrelated software, and didn't have those problems. Watching Chuck Cook's videos on tips for new Tesla owners showed me - there is FSD(Beta) exhibiting the exact same crazy erratic behavior, with Chuck hilariously narrating and wondering why it was doing weird things. So it appears that FSD suffers from the same things that are a problem for 1, 2, 3, 4 . . .

I'm not bent out of shape about this. It was a high risk investment and I understood that. I still think the odds of it paying off are way better than lottery tickets. Will FSD happen in my lifetime? Probably not, but I don't care. If it doesn't, it goes with the car and one of my grandkids will benefit from it.

In the meantime, this thread has explained much better, the crazy things about my getting all the yellow splats from following too closely, even on days when the car wasn't driven. I am a little sore about my insurance going up $5 because of my safety score dropping from 100 to 99 after not driving the car for a couple of days? On the other hand, today the app shows every single yellow "unsafe following" splat for the last 31 days suddenly vanished this morning??? Nice. Wish I knew why.
Thanks for the very detailed reply. It just seems depressing to pay for something that is not even really available. And I have experienced the glitchiness in the same areas you have. I am happy to have an electric vehicle, but feel ambivalent about whether this was a good use of money.