Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSDb Not Working at Night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DNSJames

Model X Refresh
Apr 29, 2022
St Augustine
For the past few weeks I can't get FSDb to work after dark, I just get a message in my console that says "Cabin camera is covered or blinded". This began on the last beta but it's still doing it on 69. I figured the car got a deep reboot with the update and may clear it up. I've carefully cleaned the camera with a q-tip - I've changed seat positions - took my prescription glasses on and off - changed drivers - everything. I assume the camera is working because when I pick up my phone in beta it spanks me right away, ha.
Anyone else having this issue?
IMG_7713.jpg

Reactions: ArthurVan
For the past few weeks I can't get FSDb to work after dark, I just get a message in my console that says "Cabin camera is covered or blinded". This began on the last beta but it's still doing it on 69. I figured the car got a deep reboot with the update and may clear it up. I've carefully cleaned the camera with a q-tip - I've changed seat positions - took my prescription glasses on and off - changed drivers - everything. I assume the camera is working because when I pick up my phone in beta it spanks me right away, ha.
Anyone else having this issue?
Check to see if the infrared illuminators are lit. In darkness point your cellphone camera at the cabin camera. You should be able to clearly see lit red dots on either side of the camera lens. If they are not there, that is why your cabin camera is blind at night. Human eyes cannot see the I/R illumination, but most digital cameras can clearly see in to that range.

Reactions: ArthurVan
Upvote 0
Hi @DNSJames ,

To test for the IR illumination: Recent cell phone camera, dark outside, CAR MUST BE IN DRIVE AND ON.
You might want your partner take the pictures while you are driving...

See the testing in progress here:

Shawn

Upvote 0
Anyone else having this issue?View attachment 850276
My 2022 MYLR FSDB has the same problem. No issue during daytime. 100% Cabin Camera Blocked error message when dark. Tesla Service dismissed it in June 2022 when I reported it saying they aren’t trained to service FSDb issues. I’ll soon report it again now that there is wide distribution.

Upvote 0
My 2022 MYLR FSDB has the same problem. No issue during daytime. 100% Cabin Camera Blocked error message when dark. Tesla Service dismissed it in June 2022 when I reported it saying they aren’t trained to service FSDb issues. I’ll soon report it again now that there is wide distribution.
I reported this through the Tesla app and got an appointment for a few days later in Seattle. They found a problem with the camera and replaced it. I think they swapped the cabin camera for the IR camera module or just fixed the IR leds that weren't working.
You can check if you have IR leds working by pointing with a phone camera above the rearview mirror, it should show the LEDs that can't be seen with your eyes.
You can also check the cabin camera from the Tesla app while in sentry mode now. If it doesn't show an infrared view of the interior when it's dark, then they need to replace your cabin camera.

Upvote 0