TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

FTC opinion: Who decides how consumers should shop?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by djp, Apr 24, 2014.

1. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Great article. Is there anything they as an agency could do on a national level? Would think it would require a court challenge or Congress to act.

3. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

"The views expressed are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Commission or of any individual Commissioner."

4. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

I see no evidence of positional authority that would put them in a position to act directly (and plenty of evidence that they don't have authority to act directly).

As I see it, they've exerted something potentially much more powerful - moral or "idea" authority. Their position in society, plus the reasonable and well-reasoned approach they take to the issue is going to force a strong reaction from those that like the status quo and are working hard to maintain it. I suspect, though I can't know it for certain right now, that the reaction to the blog post will further cast the forces in favor of the status quo in an unfavorable light (in the same way that Christie managed to alienate many shades of the American political spectrum).

5. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

True, but that's a standard disclaimer on all FTC blog posts. You missed the first half of the footer:

The authors hold high level positions in the FTC so this is a good indication of what the FTC's opinion will be if they're ever asked to rule on the question. The authors are also respected experts in their field whose opinions can help sway legislators and regulators. Overall this is a big win for Tesla.

6. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

I don't deny any of that, but the title of the thread doesn't say "Some hint of what the FTC's opinion might be: ..." Just making sure everyone here knows that this wasn't an official stance taken by the FTC.

7. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I placed a complaint with them over a year ago without response since I couldn't buy my car in Virginia. Others should too. It may bring issue to front of their issues

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

FTC staff support Tesla direct sales model

This was posted and is being discussed in the New Jersey thread but I think it's so important that it should have it's own thread where others see it:
    Who decides how consumers should shop? | Federal Trade Commission

Staff of the Federal Government agency responsible for competition and consumer protection are opposed to "protectionist" state laws that prevent Tesla from selling directly to consumers. This is huge. It debunks the auto dealer cartel's arguments that the dealers provide competition, and says it's new companies and business models like Tesla which are the competition. This should be sent to every legislator in every problem state, and should be quoted whenever we need to respond to auto dealer cartel talking points.

9. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Wow, excellent find. This is as good of a rebuke of the auto dealers' meritless arguments to stifle Tesla's direct sales model as you'll find, and it is from the FTC which adds even more weight.

10. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I like this a lot.

11. slipdrive

slipdrive Member

Pretty much torpedoes to rusty old boats Dealers are trying to float! Wouldn't think three Staff Directors wouldn't put this out without support. Good day for consumer choice and competition in America.

12. dsm363

If a company does feel their interstate trade is being inhibited does a complaint to the FTC trigger anything or only a court battle?

13. slipdrive

slipdrive Member

I believe the Commision can act alone on their own volition,.. or in response to complaint(s) of "unfair competition". Of course it may thereafter be off to court ... FTC v. Dealers. ....Has a nice ring to it.

14. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

Great commentary by the FTC staff, nice to see an agency finally make a statement about this

15. dsm363

That might be the route to go if that is indeed how things work. Of course if FTC lost that might set Tesla back although hopefully not any further back than they are now.

16. Vger

Vger Active Member

As others have said previously, I really think that the dealers are going to rue the day they picked this fight with Elon.

Interesting that NADA means "nothing" in spanish-- portentous?

17. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

This is great, well reasoned, and continues the momentum to progress away from the single purchase model. Good job!

18. Vger

Vger Active Member

Just added a comment after the article. I hope many many others will do the same. It might really make a difference! We have got our foot in the door!

BTW, I am an American citizen (soon to be dual with Canada).

19. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

From the FTC blog:

This doesn't sound like random chit chat on Thursday morning at the water cooler. Plus they are directors of three different departments, each directly related to the subject. They say "potential harmful", and they mean it.

20. MarkR

MarkR Member

While I fully support Tesla's direct-sales model, this appears to be a "state's rights issue." We're going to have to fight this state by state. This blog post is certainly well-reasoned, but the FTC's opinions can't override state laws.