TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

FUD from Norway

Discussion in 'News' started by Johan, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Thought this might be of some interest to Tesla enthusiats everywhere. FUD is a global tactic as the following shows:

In Norway there is an organization very similar to AAA in the US called NAF. It has over 500.000 members which is rougly 10% of the Norwegian population. (AAA has 54 million members which is 17% of the US population). They publish a magazine called "Motor". Their testing of cars and tires normally gets a lot of press coverage.

In the last issue the following article was publish, written by a very experienced motor journalist named Rune Korsvoll:

NAF.jpg

My translation:

Well, well. My translations is more or less correct so the poor writing must be blamed on the "journalist". Naturally I have contacted both the journalist and his editor asking for quite a lof of answers but the article is already on print and has been regurgitated numerous times in national online media outlets.

The main FUD is of course the extensive reporting of what happens when you turn off TC (why on earth do that on winter roads???), the "fact" that it seems easy to inadvertedly turn off TC (us owners know you have to go through many levels of menues to do this, AND read a warning box and click OK) and the total abcense of reporting what really happens when you press the go pedal on a slippery surface (with TC enganged): not very much - no wheel spin at all in my experience.

2. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Wait... If I turn off traction control in the snow the card slides? I can't believe they published this article.

3. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

NAF had a pretty good article on Model S and i3 when Tesla launched in Norway. In English below through google translation.

Google Translate

I don't see that current article online.

4. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

5. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Am I seeing it correctly at the bottom of the page, allowing someone to give the article a thumbs up but not thumbs down?

Kinda like referendums in the Soviet Union.

6. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Lol. The Model S has too much power, so Tesla should offer a mode that cuts it in half? Or you could, you know, just press down less vigorously on the "go" pedal.

7. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

When I test drove the car, I asked about the Traction Control. The Tesla representative in the car with me said, "Don't touch that!" It was a clear sunny day that day. I haven't dared to touch it since.

8. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

#8 RobStark, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    If you don't touch it you can't do this.

Model S is not a Google transportation appliance!

9. slcuervo

slcuervo Member

So, let me see: 370-420cv rear wheel drive is a lot of power for snowy roads and you need to be careful not to accelerate too much too suddenly?

Ok, what else could they have stated... snow is white. Snow is cold. Ice is slippery. Traction control helps you keep control of the traction. What else...?

This article is too simplistic. They've got a few good points (like the drop in range driving in cold weather), but they have insisted too much in the "too much power" thing. Boring.

10. 1101011

1101011 Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2012.

Dumb is limited to English...

11. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

#11 wycolo, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    The Roadster has its TC button ('traction control') under the parking brake lever and its glow (Orange=ON, Red=OFF) can be seen by driver moving her head just a bit. So it is easy to verify that the orange light is ON for safety.

The MS hides this indicator in one of the screen displays so if you properly turned TC OFF in order the drive up a snowy/icy slope and then forgot to turn it back ON you might be in for a surprise later that trip. The next day I'm pretty sure the car starts up with TC ON, the default. Maybe this is the scenario the writer is obsessing about.

Yes, there have been slippery situations where TC prevented the car from moving forward, but these may have been improved by software upgrades.

Now for some fun before putting on the snows. :smile:
    --