TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fuddy Duddies vs. The Future

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Todd Burch, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

#1 Todd Burch, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    First, a disclaimer. I recognize some of you Model S drivers are older...I mean..more mature (I respect my elders!) No Model S driver is a fuddy duddy, so have no fear--you're safe.

But I had an experience after work the other day--another bright sign for Tesla in the future.

I often find that the greatest resistance to Tesla comes from a certain older, more established, more stubborn generation (if I can take the liberty to generalize for a moment). In the military, we called this group the ROAD generation--Retired On Active Duty.

But the young'ens really love this car.

Pulled into my driveway after work the other day and a girl was walking down my driveway toward me (my driveway's a little long). She's in college--a good looking mechanical engineering student--and was crazy about Tesla! She knew everything about them! Superchargers, fires and their effect on TSLA, the frunk, the touchscreen, the specs...everything. (Turns out she's a friend of my wife's cousins).

She said she followed me (lives a few roads down in my subdivision) so she could admire the car. I told her to take a seat. "No way, really?" she asked. (I thought that reaction was funny. I said she could sit in the car. I wasn't GIVING her the car!)

So I showed her the touchscreen, talked about the car, then asked if she wanted a ride.

"Oh my God, my friends are going to be so jealous!"

So I took her for a brief ride, floored it a few times, and saw that Tesla Grin. After pulling back into our subdivision, I pulled over, parked it, and put the hazards on.

Then I just turned and looked at her. She looked puzzled. So I said "Wanna drive it?"

"No way, you have to be kidding! Nobody's going to believe this!"

I wasn't. I told her to jump into the driver's seat.

"Just get in and buckle up. Don't touch anything yet."

After I got in, I told her to feel for the location of the pedals...then to put it in gear and give it a few electrons.

She was driving timidly. This pedal is made to be stomped upon.

"No, gun it." I said.

"I don't want to drive hard in your car.

"No really, I want you to feel it."

She pressed a little harder on the pedal.

"Ok, stop the car. Now...I really mean it. GUN it. Pedal to the floor."

She stomped. She loved. She is now convinced forever.

We got to talking about babysitting (because my wife and I need a sitter!) and we exchanged info because she's probably going to babysit for us.

Now she was obviously a Tesla fan already, so this wasn't a "conversion" per se. But what I really found interesting was what happened afterward. She went home and posted the following status to her Facebook page:

"Tonight, I drove a Tesla."

The coolest thing? She got TONS of amazed and excited responses from her college-aged friends.

Tesla and EVs have a bright future indeed.

2. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

What? No making out with the babysitter story? I hate when these stereotypes fail to materialize!:biggrin:

i do find it encouraging to hear this story after how I keep reading that America's younger drivers seem to have little interests in cars. As a confessed car nut I love to hear that not all the "kids" feel that way!

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Great story!

4. Todd Burch

She seemed more likely to make out with the car than with me ;). Besides, I just met her tonight! ;) haha.

5. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Uh oh, this sounds like the buildup to one of those disturbing Lifetime Original movies that my wife makes me watch some weekends - babysitter develops a crush on the cool dad who unwittingly encourages her, wife starts suspecting something, the sitter goes crazy and comes after the wife and the guy comes to his senses in the end and saves the day!

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Tesla dissing article title "Tesla breaks up a marriage"
    Tesla praising article title "Tesla attracts hot college girls"

7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member

Isn't it interesting that job fairs at the engineering colleges have longer lines at the Tesla table than Ford or GM? The younger generation wants to work for Elon.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Of course. Elon has a vision. Ford and GM have...well, I'm not sure what they have.

9. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

While I agree that this car definitely thrills the younger crowd, I have had many similar encounters with folks my parents age (minus the babysitting part).

One of the great things about the Model S is that it really isn't that different from other luxury cars. It is just better at it.
    More performance, much more smooth, quieter, easier to fuel, very spacious.
    The "fuddy duddies" don't have to try to fold themselves into a compact sized car, and never have to deal with filling up at a gas station.
    It is much less different than going from a large car to a smaller hybrid.

10. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Great story and I have similar ones. The Tesla grin is so cool.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

So:
    - She was an attractive young woman
    - You let her drive your expensive performance car and in particular emphasized the performance
    - You asked her to become your babysitter
    - You later checked her facebook page

When I told this story to my wife she was creeped out. I tried to explain this was simply TeslEVangelism plus employment opportunism plus Facebook-friending-and-notification, but she wouldn't buy it.

12. Todd Burch

Geez you guys are tough :). She has been friends with my wife's cousins for their entire life, and since she lives down the street and we've been desperately looking for a babysitter, it seemed to make sense. My wife and I BOTH checked her Facebook page to look for any questionable personality characteristics before persuing the babysitter thing further. I've let several people drive my car before in the name of EVangelism, and I happen to think my wife is pretty hot.

Can we stop with the third degree now? Jeez :).

13. GlennAlanBerry

They are just jealous... Obviously, you knew her well enough to trust her to drive your Tesla and to consider having her babysit, and you were checking on her Facebook presence as part of your due diligence for babysitting.

Taking the time to show/demo our cars to interested people is really a good thing, IMO. Doing some EVangelism when you get a chance like that is great.

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Good story. Inspired future owner and got a babysitter at the same time. Consider that a win.

15. roblab

roblab Active Member

They have Fuddy Duddies. Lots. Then they retire and hire more.

Elons skips to part II, where they hire the kids who get it, develop them into first class Tesla Workers, and RULE the WORLD.

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I think the additional information worked. ;) Keep on slreading the good word, which, thanks to Superchargers will get easier.

(I told the extra information to my wife, who said she didn't care enough to decide whether she was convinced. But the her curiosity got the better of her and she asked me why you had given the extra information, had someone made a comment? I admitted that I had provoked you. :D)

17. Cestevenson

Cestevenson Member

Fuddy Duddy is a relative term. It cuts across age, social, income and cultural designations. You get all sorts of people excited about what Tesla represents and you get those afraid of the future and change. It is fun to see the excitement in those who get it.

I would do no less in checking out a potential babysitter for my 9 year old, too.

18. Todd Burch

Update: she and I are going to the movies Friday night. Please don't tell my wife. :love: haha.

19. 772

772 Member

Plot twist! :wink:

20. spentan

spentan Active Member

I'm only 25 years old, single and have been a P85 owner for about a week.

No college girls wanna ride in my car yet, maybe I should take a drive near some of the engineering colleges around hahaha