Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fuel excise reduction / ZLEV road-user charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides the fact that I don't think we should be doing anything to help the price of fuel at the bowser (the most effective way to encourage EV uptake is to make the alternatives more expensive as we've seen across Europe), the fuel excise is to cover road usage. This is the stated aim and why they collect it.

In effect, the government is halving the road usage cost for petrol owners, but EV owners see no discount. This penalises EV users and encourages ICE usage/sales. Putting that the government should be wanting to encourage more EV uptake for the environmental benefits, it's also not fair for EV users to not see a similar reduction on the fee for road usage.

Reactions: begg
Apologies for the soap box in advance.

I wish they weren't doing that.. it's kinda our carbon tax (i've got petrol cars too, so this isn't a EV vs ICE point)

It's crazy there's a tax at all for EV's, we should be incentivising the change, not slowing it.. Luxury car taxes that protect a non-existent domestic market, subsidy cutoff at levels that don't even follow inflation.

Even solar is poorly handled here.. seen a few American and Canadian videos saying they FIT is 1:1.. We're getting $0.06 these days.

Australia is handling climate change so poorly.. Need to pull our finger out and get Nuclear replacing coal then invest heavily in renewables.
We've been arguing about it for decades now..

*End rant*

Apologies for the soap box in advance.

I wish they weren't doing that.. it's kinda our carbon tax (i've got petrol cars too, so this isn't a EV vs ICE point)

It's crazy there's a tax at all for EV's, we should be incentivising the change, not slowing it.. Luxury car taxes that protect a non-existent domestic market, subsidy cutoff at levels that don't even follow inflation.

Even solar is poorly handled here.. seen a few American and Canadian videos saying they FIT is 1:1.. We're getting $0.06 these days.

Australia is handling climate change so poorly.. Need to pull our finger out and get Nuclear replacing coal then invest heavily in renewables.
We've been arguing about it for decades now..

*End rant*
The best way to deal with fit 0.06 is to not export. Get another ev and some batteries.

Reactions: Chuq and Vostok

That overlooks the fact the Australia’s rooftop solar penetration is the highest in the world (around 30% of dwellings) and way higher than USA (4%) or Canada (less than 1%). That means we are rapidly running out of destinations to absorb excess solar, and if the power can’t be exported anywhere because no-one can use it, it’s not worth much. Simple economics. That’s not a problem in the USA or Canada.

Need to pull our finger out and get Nuclear replacing coal

No, because:

Ouch. Five hundred bucks.

Electricity probably cost about $600 (20,000 km * 0.140kWh/km * 0.21c/kWh). So about 5.5c/km. At $2/liter that'd be equivalent in cost to a vehicle achieving 37km/l, or 2.75 l/100km.

To estimate my 'normal' running cost I add another 5c/km in tyres (first set only lasted 35,000 km, cost about $2k to replace with same. Hope second set lasts longer).

And with electricity prices almost certainly rising steeply going forwards...

Ah well, it's still great to drive.

road_user_charge_2021-22.jpg

Ouch. Five hundred bucks.

Ouch indeed. At least the NSW RUC policy is “fairer” in that the RUC only applies if you haven’t paid stamp duty on the purchase of your EV. Pay less up-front, and then pay an annual RUC. The VIC policy is just punitive.

For someone who drives the average distance each year, and spent $50k on their EV, they are ahead in NSW if they own their car for less than about 6 years. Buy a more expensive EV (once all EVs in NSW become stamp duty exempt in 2027 regardless of price), or drive a car less distance each year, or flip your cars more frequently, then you are in front longer.