TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fuel usage comparison

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by doug, Apr 21, 2010.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

2. mt2

mt2 Member

Holy crap! I'm going to start taking a 737 to work.

3. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Ah, that would only work if they limit the commute lane to vehicles with more than 200 people in them ;-).

Seriously, great chart for posting at work tomorrow!

4. Tdave

Tdave Member

So the Roadster, if it were represented in that chart, would be a bar of 1.5 gallons.

5. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Yes ... assuming a 117MPGE rating (which is about right). And as much as I am against gas-guzzling I do not like this graph's deceptive presentation ! :mad: Sorry ...

Looking very carefully the SUV, Sedan and Hybrid have some extra data in the footnotes and a solid-dashed-dotted overlay. The solid line overlay (the lowest consumption) represents the fuel used for driver+3 passengers for 350 miles. But the SUV capacity is 5. For all the others ... the graph shows the use per passenger (making them look good).

The graph is all about "How many gallons of fuel per passenger does it take to cover a distance of 350 miles?". Therefore ... how it presents its conclusion here is DECEPTIVE. For the SUV the # should be 3.33. The Sedan is at 3.24. The Hybrid is at 1.9.

( Of course ... in all cases we assume the "vehicle" is filled to capacity and achieves the stated MPG (hard to imagine 21mpg with a full SUV). And all this ignores the fact that cruise ships and planes are often the only sensible alternative for long distance travel ... but ok, that is not something the graph claims to address )

6. mt2

mt2 Member

True enough - which is why I made the joke about taking a 737 to work.

Interestingly, though, if a Roadster does use the energy equivalent of 1.5 gallons per mile, it's more efficient to drive the Roadster to the Walgreen's down the street than to walk there.