TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Full Autonomy All But Confirmed for 3, "We're doing the obvious thing"

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by DrivingTheFuture, Jun 3, 2016.

?

What do you think? Will Model 3 have full autonomy?

1. Most Definitely, It's Obvious!

56 vote(s)
    24.7%
  2. Possibly... Still Not Sure

76 vote(s)
    33.5%
  3. No Way, You'll have to drive that sucker yourself!

95 vote(s)
    41.9%
  1. DrivingTheFuture

Musk's statement in the RECODE video all but settled it. He said it's obvious what they'll be announcing later this year. @flamingoezz already posted something similar to this, but it bears repeating, and I didn't see anyone sharing this story from Teslarati : Tesla Autopilot 2.0 hardware possibly spotted on Model S test mule , the images clearly show new autopilot hardware. And if they're testing this ALREADY, it should really be functional by launch time. Free or not, activated or not, the capability will be there.

2. FirstSea

FirstSea Member

It's obvious he is going to reveal AP V2, whether or not it includes full autonomy remains to be seen.

• Like x 8
  3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

"Great" alternatives to answer. Not begging the question at all.

• Like x 3
  5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

6. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

Kudos for correct usage of the phrase. Very rare these days. :cool:

• Like x 3
  7. DrivingTheFuture

8. DrivingTheFuture

Hmmm... not sure how the answers "No Way" and "Most Definitely" fit the definition of "begging the question" .......where premises include the claim that the conclusion is true...

some light reading: Fallacy: Begging the Question

• Like x 1
  9. DrivingTheFuture

That's interesting but I was actually referring to the photos that only just got posted on May 26th, and show different hardware. But that's neat to see they are testing numerous systems / solutions OR that they've simply refined what they were using back in March.

10. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

It's clear that the "obvious" thing they'll be announcing is a one year delay.

• Funny x 18
    • Like x 2
  11. 1208

1208 Active Member

I thought it was zebra striped seat covers.

• Like x 1
  12. jkk_

jkk_ Member

First option sounds positive, third option negative. Some of us don't need to drive our cars, we get to drive our cars.

• Like x 1
  13. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

#13 Johan, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Yeah that was my point - the alternatives the OP gave had very emotional connotations and hence, whether intended or not (perhaps a subconscious phenomenon), the question and its multiple choice answers was leading and implying. Perhaps not exactly the same as begging the question, but close enough.

A better label would be this:

Your logical fallacy is loaded question

If one were actually interested in people's opinion on the matter, without signaling your own bias, the answer choices would be: yes, maybe and no. Not "yes of course" and "no way, drive the sucker yourself".

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  14. davidc18

davidc18 Member

I think the obvious thing is that it will have the autopilot hardware installed (activated for additional $$$). I expect it to still be version 1.0 and still be in beta but have additional sensors for better blind spot detection.

• Like x 1
  15. deonb

deonb Active Member

I think the obvious thing is: "It does what the Model S does".

Not: "It uses some new and untested, unannounced, system that may or may not be ready by then, if ever, and will have a who knows what regulatory backlash."

People have a tendency to always over-read Elon's comments. When Elon says something, he means it directly - he doesn't speak in code.

• Like x 6
    • Dislike x 1
  16. DrivingTheFuture

Ok I see your points now, my intent was not to create biased responses but to make the options more interesting and fun than just "yes" or "no"

• Helpful x 1
  17. DrivingTheFuture

Couldn't agree more. I love driving my car in certain scenarios, and I love that Elon is stating that he never intends to take that freedom away from people.

18. DrivingTheFuture

They've already announced this... why would they hold a second event to announce something they already announced??? Elon was referring to WHAT they will announce (something new) later this year when he made the "obvious" statement.

• Helpful x 1
  19. Siciliano

Siciliano Member

I think both the 3 and the S will have "near" full autonomy, it's simply a matter of the software being sufficiently baked within 2 years - hardware is the easy end of it.

I also highly doubt regulations will be in place by then, so they'll simply do what they've done with autopilot 1.0 - feature a disclaimer that you MUST be alert at all times with your hands on the steering wheel. End of story. That pretty effectively covers the liability end of it. Like I've said before, there currently is no regulation that states you may let your car drive itself down the freeway.... are people still doing it anyway? Absolutely.

It's funny that so many people think it's not even possible, yet even up to a few YEARS ago Google has been successfully "running" their own fleet of fully autonomous cars. They even had no problem on dirt roads, intersections, road signs, etc... Do some research. And I'd imagine they're far closer than Tesla is...aka months away, not years.

• Like x 1
  20. DrivingTheFuture

I think Tesla has leapfrogged ahead of Google, because of the shift to machine learning, the company with the most data wins... and Tesla is getting A LOT more data than Google... and accumulating more and more each day. Google's only shot now is to license their tech to car companies that already have sensors on the road in their vehicles, and Elon mentioned this is what he thinks they'll do...