Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Autonomy All But Confirmed for 3, "We're doing the obvious thing"

What do you think? Will Model 3 have full autonomy?

• Most Definitely, It's Obvious!

Votes: 56 24.7%
  • Possibly... Still Not Sure

Votes: 76 33.5%
  • No Way, You'll have to drive that sucker yourself!

Votes: 95 41.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find that phrase (it's two words, not one) quite clear: it means a vehicle that is capable of driving from start to destination, as determined by the human sitting in it, without any human input other then specifying the destination.

That is what it means to me. What word(s) do you use to describe a vehicle with that capability?

Google is operating cars that are capable of "full autonomy" right now, so it is not a theoretical concept.

Just to split hairs, wouldn't it actually mean that the car decides where it wants to go? :rolleyes: :D

I find that phrase (it's two words, not one) quite clear: it means a vehicle that is capable of driving from start to destination, as determined by the human sitting in it, without any human input other then specifying the destination.

That is what it means to me. What word(s) do you use to describe a vehicle with that capability?

Google is operating cars that are capable of "full autonomy" right now, so it is not a theoretical concept.

Ah but the tech is not yet available for a car to make all decisions from any two points under the normal conditions we face on the roadways. Therefore the idea of "full autonomy" being available is BS unless the phrase is redefined to mean partial autonomy.

Ah but the tech is not yet available for a car to make all decisions from any two points under the normal conditions we face on the roadways. Therefore the idea of "full autonomy" being available is BS unless the phrase is redefined to mean partial autonomy.
The Google cars that I have seen for years driving the freeways and surface streets of the SF Bay Area where I live are fully autonomous by the definition I gave in my post above.

"Full autonomy" for cars does exist. It is not yet for sale to the consumer. But it is obviously not BS, and based on Google's data it is clearly safer than human drivers.

"Full autonomy" for cars does exist. It is not yet for sale to the consumer.
If the conditions are restricted for "full autonomy" capabilities, when a human driver would not have same limitations then the phrase is obviously actually describing some level of limited "assisted driving".

You must at least include the exception conditions in the definition of "fully autonomous" where a human would be required to operate the car.

Last edited:
Remember Elon thought electric cars were the 'obvious thing' back in 2003, or actually way before. I don't think it means the same thing to most people as it does to him.

Thank you kindly.
Everyone's expecting full autonomy and Elon said in the latest call that they are currently doing things [regarding autonomy] that impress even him so he feels that when the world see it they will be equally impressed.

• Informative
Reactions: alseTrick