Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Autopilot Upgrade??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteveD

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2018
Tacoma, Wa
Got an email from Tesla offering full autopilot upgrade from enhanced for $3000. Loved driving the car with autopilot during a recent 450 mile road trip in rural Washington State known as the North Cascades Loop. Full autopilot would of course include any hardware upgrades so might be worth it. I'm realistic and don't expect full autopilot anytime soon.

Any thoughts.

...Any thoughts.

It depends on what your goals are.

To me, it's a gamble because FSD has not been proven to work. It's a speculation that it will work.

However, because I like to experience/experiment new technology as soon as possible so I didn't hesitate to pay for it even when it's vaporware.

But you can now see there have been improvements with the latest summon so my guess that traffic lights and signs automatic compliance won't be science fiction for long.

However, if you are a prudent consumer, then, of course, you should not pay something that is still in beta or science fiction.

If you like it, and you want it, buy it.

Between the software charge, Tesla’s Labour rate, and a new HW3 computer that is about $3k.

Those that like their car the way it is will get to keep their car the way it is.

Most of the future advancements, Road sign interpretations, enhanced summon, FSD, etc will center around HW3.

Or wait and gamble that the price will not increase or cough, cough get lower.

And for those that Cry vapor-wear, look at all the believers who ponied
up a $k deposit on a M3, Y Or Roadster

Got an email from Tesla offering full autopilot upgrade from enhanced for $3000. Loved driving the car with autopilot during a recent 450 mile road trip in rural Washington State known as the North Cascades Loop. Full autopilot would of course include any hardware upgrades so might be worth it. I'm realistic and don't expect full autopilot anytime soon.

Any thoughts.
WE really need to keep things straight... There is no such thing as "Full Autopilot" Tesla currently offers two options: 1) Autopilot (AP) and 2) Full Self Driving (FSD).

AP = Traffic Aware Cruise Control + Autosteer
FSD = AP + Auto Lane Change + Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) on freeways + Enhanced Summon (not out yet) + NoA on city streets (not out yet)​

Before March 2019, they offered Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)

EAP = AP + Auto Lane Change + Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) on freeways + Enhanced Summon (not out yet)​

In March 2019, they discontinued the EAP package and moved the Lane Change and NoA on freeways into the FSD package and introduced the AP package which had the TACC and Autosteer

I think at least 50% of the confusion on this entire subject is people think EAP and AP are two terms for the same thing, say they have one when they really have the other, read about options in EAP, and think that means they should have it in AP, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
I think at least 50% of the confusion on this entire subject is people think EAP and AP are two terms for the same thing, say they have one when they really have the other, read about options in EAP, and think that means they should have it in AP, etc.

not at all...the confusion is because they just sent out an email offering EAP owners a discount and explicitly mentioning NoA and enhanced summon as being part of the reason we should buy it, when in reality we already have those features (either now with NoA or when it comes available with enhanced summon).

not at all...the confusion is because they just sent out an email offering EAP owners a discount and explicitly mentioning NoA and enhanced summon as being part of the reason we should buy it, when in reality we already have those features (either now with NoA or when it comes available with enhanced summon).

Sure that's the confusion today. I am speaking in more general terms:
  1. Saying AP when then mean EAP
  2. Saying EAP when they mean AP
  3. Thinking EAP and AP are the same thing
  4. Not actually knowing the names of either (e.g, "Full autopilot")
And don't even get me started on:
  • "Summons"
  • Enhanced Auto Summon