TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Full body PPF wrap and now left FWD won’t open

Discussion in 'Model X' started by onlinespending, May 19, 2018.

1. onlinespending

so I got a full body PPF wrap of my X recently and tried opening the FWDs one day later, to show to a friend, and the driver side FWD would not open. It made the warning beep without even trying to open. I had to manually override the entire opening, but was incredibly slow to open. Could the film somehow be interfering with the sensors? It’s just that one side that’s affected. Any other possibilities or things to try? I’ll certainly be calling both wrap shop and the Tesla service center on Monday

2. outie

outie Active Member

Is it happening every time you try to open? Did it work ok when you first got the car back?

3. onlinespending

That was the first time I used the FWD after getting it back, which was just a day later. And yes.

4. ZEPHYRHATS

ZEPHYRHATS Member

I have heard you have to have an experienced wrapper that has done x's before or this WILL happen. I'm getting my car wrapped right when I pick it up and I had to research to find the best one who had done many Model X 'S.

5. DaddyP713

DaddyP713 Member

I haven't had this problem with mine, but I suppose it's possible. The ultrasonic sensors are said to be very sensitive.

It may not be the wrap itself, but could be that the process of installing the wrap did something to the sensor - perhaps the sensor was marginally in spec from the factory, and putting pressure on the panel put it out of spec?

6. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

Was the car very hot on that side? If the door gets really hot it messes up the sensor and refuses to open. It’s lame but it’s happened to me a couple times.

7. onlinespending

Not at all. Was a mild, cloudy day. It started working again last night after a drive. So hopefully it’s rectified itself, but it’s certainly something I’ll have to pay attention to