Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full body wrap PPF rear hatch seam?

Kelmn07

May 7, 2018
New Hampshire
I’ve never considered a full wrap on my previous cars, and my first 3 was the first time ever using PPF (partial). But I’m really digging the way a stealth wrap on MSM looks. I talked to my installer and he warned that the rear is very difficult to do. If I want it in one piece it’s over $6k.
Because we’ve gone to him a few times (another 3 and rework after accidents) he would do it for $5,500 if I’m ok with the seam which is still more than I want to spend but he’ll include ceramic coating so I’m considering it.

He mentioned that most customers cover it with a spoiler, I don’t really want a spoiler though. Has anyone had full PPF on their Y with a seam? With or without a spoiler? Are you happy with how it looks?

techmagnetic

Sep 29, 2020
Boston
Oh man I know! I have MSM and will eventually do a stealth wrap. I'm not aware of any seam issues - at least from the installers I've spoken to around the Boston area.

Kelmn07

May 7, 2018
New Hampshire
Yeah I'm still debating. $6k is more than I thought it was going to be, I know some folks make this point but at that point, that's about the cost of a full body paint if the condition got bad enough. I've seen some say they've paid around $4k but that's with TMC group buys and what not, I think.

SavageX

Jan 8, 2021
Usa
A full XPel Stealth Wrap for $3,400 is very low. We charge $6,500 for a full Stealth Wrap (No Seams). PPF is for Paint Preservation, Not Financial Savings.
And $6500 is for pure greed and financial enrichment. Its less than $1500 in material and takes 3-4 days to do an amazing job. I charge 4500 for PPF and we make more than enough money on the job, oh and we are located in a 25.000 sq ft building in Suffolk County, Long Island, NY, one of the most expensive places to operate a business in the country.

2101Guy

Jan 6, 2020
USA
If I had a $200k exotic or classic? I could see spending THOUSANDS of PPF for paint preservation.

BUt Ive had MANY Tesla loaners that have had 80k, 90k miles and no PPF. And Ive actually taken the effort to closely examine the paint.

Have I witnessed any sort of significant paint issues due to rocks, or..anything? No.

To each his own..but the sudden obsession with PPF these days is...interesting.

$6500 (and touch up paint for the occassional chip) placed into a stock fund is going to get me a LOT more in 4 years..

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC