Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full body wrap PPF rear hatch seam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never considered a full wrap on my previous cars, and my first 3 was the first time ever using PPF (partial). But I’m really digging the way a stealth wrap on MSM looks. I talked to my installer and he warned that the rear is very difficult to do. If I want it in one piece it’s over $6k.
Because we’ve gone to him a few times (another 3 and rework after accidents) he would do it for $5,500 if I’m ok with the seam which is still more than I want to spend but he’ll include ceramic coating so I’m considering it.

He mentioned that most customers cover it with a spoiler, I don’t really want a spoiler though. Has anyone had full PPF on their Y with a seam? With or without a spoiler? Are you happy with how it looks?

Yeah I'm still debating. $6k is more than I thought it was going to be, I know some folks make this point but at that point, that's about the cost of a full body paint if the condition got bad enough. I've seen some say they've paid around $4k but that's with TMC group buys and what not, I think.

If I had a $200k exotic or classic? I could see spending THOUSANDS of PPF for paint preservation.

BUt Ive had MANY Tesla loaners that have had 80k, 90k miles and no PPF. And Ive actually taken the effort to closely examine the paint.

Have I witnessed any sort of significant paint issues due to rocks, or..anything? No.

To each his own..but the sudden obsession with PPF these days is...interesting.

$6500 (and touch up paint for the occassional chip) placed into a stock fund is going to get me a LOT more in 4 years..

Reactions: Pianewman
I’ve never considered a full wrap on my previous cars, and my first 3 was the first time ever using PPF (partial). But I’m really digging the way a stealth wrap on MSM looks. I talked to my installer and he warned that the rear is very difficult to do. If I want it in one piece it’s over $6k.
Because we’ve gone to him a few times (another 3 and rework after accidents) he would do it for $5,500 if I’m ok with the seam which is still more than I want to spend but he’ll include ceramic coating so I’m considering it.

He mentioned that most customers cover it with a spoiler, I don’t really want a spoiler though. Has anyone had full PPF on their Y with a seam? With or without a spoiler? Are you happy with how it looks?
I have absolutely no issues with the seam on my Model Y, due to the amazing job my installer did with my full wrap. It can be done so that any seams are virtually invisible and worth the money. Not 5 or 6k though, it can be done for 4 at the right shop, just saying. I can post images to show the job I had done on my car.

I have absolutely no issues with the seam on my Model Y, due to the amazing job my installer did with my full wrap. It can be done so that any seams are virtually invisible and worth the money. Not 5 or 6k though, it can be done for 4 at the right shop, just saying. I can post images to show the job I had done on my car.
Hi can you please send pics?
I am getting my MYP done at a shop that does a seam at the rear trunk that is pretty visible imo. This pic is an example car they had in their shop. Would love to see an example of an essentially visible one if possible esp bc mine is going to be done matte black.

Attachments

• 65EA75C1-A8BB-4170-88E4-9372F98BFF4F.jpeg
    65EA75C1-A8BB-4170-88E4-9372F98BFF4F.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 427
Reactions: JaeTheDev
Hi can you please send pics?
I am getting my MYP done at a shop that does a seam at the rear trunk that is pretty visible imo. This pic is an example car they had in their shop. Would love to see an example of an essentially visible one if possible esp bc mine is going to be done matte black.
That’s a horrendous job. It’s one thing to have a seam but to have a 1/4 inch or more gap between the two pieces like above the corner taillight is unacceptable. I can’t believe they are using that as a positive example of their work.

I recently had a full wrap and ceramic coating done on my Model Y in Arlington, TX, for $4500. While I can spot the end of the wrap between the front fender and door – they couldn't tuck it in without removing the door, which I decided against – it's hardly noticeable. Plus, they assured me that if it collects dust or peels off, it's covered under their 10-year warranty.

All in all, I'm thrilled with the results, especially considering the price. The whole job only took three days to complete. In contrast, many places in Dallas, TX, charge $6500 or more, plus extra for ceramic coating.

I've also looked into DIY kits, and it seems doable, but there's a lot of prep work required before installing the film. The downside is that if something goes wrong, you might need to spend another $300 to $400 for a replacement piece. I was tempted to start the project in my own garage, but the thought of potential bubbles or mistakes making my car look less than stellar held me back.

My MYP has a seam around the spoiler. It was explained to me that it was better than removing and reapplying the spoiler. I just had a MYLR done. I didn't notice a seam there. I'll have to check in the morning. Both were just under $6k.