Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Car Camping Setup for less than £80

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
I've looked at the products from DreamCase, TesMat, Evannex and Tesla and just thought they cost way too much for what they were and the amount of use I'd get out of them. I'll probably only sleep in the car a handful of times throughout a year. Instead, I wondered if I could achieve similar levels of comfort and blackout for far less.

I put this kit together for less than £76.87:
  1. Front windscreen blackout shade (£15.59)
  2. Front and rear side window nets (£5.80)
  3. Front and rear roof window shades with additional blackout cloth (£26.45)
  4. Rear quarter panel shades (£4.05)
  5. Self inflating double camp mat (£24.98)
I've spent a couple of nights with the setup so far. Is it as comfortable as a DreamCase/Tesmat? Well, probably not, but I've also saved at least £400 if not more.

For testing light reduction, I downloaded a phone app that measures Lux. Admittedly I've no idea if that's the right unit of measure but before installing the following the reading was 26 which reduced to 2 once everything was in place.

One thing to note, with camp mode enabled, I lost around 7 miles of range per hour. Worth considering that camp mode deactivates when your battery goes down to 20% and you should try to avoid charging to 100% so you've then got 70% of your battery pack to dedicate to camp mode less the battery used to get to/from the site. It's certainly manageable but something you do need to keep an eye on.

Some pictures/description of the setup:

Total 'Footprint'
Fits well in the sub trunk

20200919_181216.jpg

Front windscreen blackout shade:
Covers well, droops a little bit in places but easily fixed with a few charging cards.

20200919_181849.jpg

Front and Rear Side Window Nets:
Not sure what more to expect for a fiver. These aren't designed for the Tesla however, as long as you ensure the excess material is towards the bottom they don't prevent the windows from closing and block out a decent amount of light. They come is a set of 4 and are designed to be used whilst driving (in other countries) as the front ones have a hole in them to see the wing mirrors. I'm investigating creating some custom window covers, probably made with lycra.

20200919_184926.jpg

20200919_185318.jpg

Front and rear roof window shades with additional blackout cloth
Really happy with these for the price. They're full length so cover all of the roof and the blackout cloth is detachable so you could use it as a normal sunshade if you wish. The two shades come with around 12 clips that secure the shade to the cars trim. Bit fiddly but no big problem.

20200919_184624.jpg

20200919_184400.jpg

Rear quarter panel shades
These fit so well that I've just left them in (read: need to find something suitable to eject them with. Not blackout but when lying down it's actually useful to see a little bit of what's outside and going on around you.

20200919_182549.jpg

Self inflating double camp mat
I'd originally bought an airbed which was about 7 cm tall when inflated. There just wasn't enough space to move about in the cabin and fitting your legs underneath the parcel shelf was a struggle. Got this camping mat instead (purple was the only colour left in stock). It's reasonably comfy once inflated, and a few blankets and a sleeping bag on top of it help too. Importantly, there's sufficient room to manoeuvre once inside the cabin.

20200919_190053.jpg

20200919_190107.jpg

If you're looking to buy any of these products, there's a (non-commercial) link in my signature which takes you to a site that lists everything I've added to the car, including the above, with non-affiliate links to the retailers.

Personal choice obviously, but I'd prefer to not have the blackout. Then again, I've never used curtains at home either

Having said that, your setup looks pretty good and I definitely like the budget

I AM looking forward to trying out the Camping mode though. We've overnighted with the Prius V to a few of the State Parks here in Texas before it got too hot, and will do it in the fall aka Autumn once I get the Y. The good thing is that a lot of the places have electricity with 30A outlets, so it should be possible to plug in.

Texas is so freaking big though that you can drive for 4 hours ... and still be in the Metroplex. My sister lives in the Cotswolds and she has a VW Van so in about two hours could be in Cornwall, on the South coast, in London, oop North (where it's grim) or with a little more time, the Lake District. THAT would be fun in a Y.