TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Full car Xpel stealth etching.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by clicketyclack, Sep 16, 2018.

1. clicketyclack

clicketyclack Member

Got my car fully covered in Xpel stealth. Overall I am very happy with how the car looks, there are a few nitpicky details I still need to speak to the installer about, but the one thing that bothers me most is that there are a few areas that look like kind of etched. My installer said it should self heal, but it has been a couple weeks now with some pretty hot days and I have poured hot water over the problem areas and it is still there. I attached a pic of one of the worst aread and was curious if anyone has seen anything like this.

IMG_20180916_184849.jpg

2. ba2002

ba2002 Member

Hrm that is concerning. If it didn't clear with hot water / sun exposure I dont think it's going anywhere.

I googled it and one guy was able to scrub some bird dropping etching out with lacquer or acetone or something (Try at your own risk, I am no expert for sure).

Otherwise I would think the installer/XPEL should warranty that.

I'm picking up a M3 tomorrow and taking to detailer. MSM. Was considering stealth - I wonder if ultimate has the same problem?

3. Adam3

Adam3 Member

That hood edge doesn't look good at all either, seems like it's already peeling?

• Like x 1
  4. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

5. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

You want to take that back to your detailer and have them fix those issues. XPEL Stealth should be warrantied and hopefully you got paperwork from the shop stating they would honor the warranty and fix issues.

6. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

the installer should redo this section of the film. This is basically damages to the glue layer where they try to move it after it's already dried. If you look closer, the damages should be underneath and not on the surface.

7. clicketyclack

clicketyclack Member

If it was damage to the paint wouldn't the Xpel layer feel relatively smooth to the touch? It is very rough where the markings are. Anyway, I am very confident that my installer will fix any issues there are, and he is fully warrantied.

8. Sentry

Sentry Member

Is that solid black? Can I see pics of the car? Planning on wrapping my M3 with stealth also.

9. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in lake Charles LA)
    Let us know what you find. I'm planing on a full wrap on our X when it comes in.

10. Abstrakt1

Abstrakt1 Member

I had a similar issue (but much smaller), I ran into my installer when I was out this weekend. He said give it 2 weeks and if it doesn't go away he will reinstall. He said sometimes they go away and sometimes they don't.

• Like x 1
  11. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

I see, it was hard to tell from the picture

12. Abstrakt1

Abstrakt1 Member

It isn't the paint. I actually ceramic coated mine so it was smooth over it but it looks the same as yours and is the wrap not the paint.

13. clicketyclack

clicketyclack Member

here you go, overall I think it looks amazing. FB_IMG_1536752452145.jpg IMG_20180916_190005.jpg IMG_20180916_185958.jpg

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  14. Sentry

Sentry Member

Wow looks amazing. Can't wait to get my M3 and do the same.

15. clicketyclack

clicketyclack Member

b
    Yes he is fixing that

• Like x 1
  16. paco878

paco878 Member

Are you planning on getting any blackout done for the chrome pieces or are you gonna leave them? Our M3 (pickup is on Wed) is also black, but we are gonna stick to the clear PPF. I'm considering the chrome delete and smoking the headlights a bit. I really do like the Stealth. A buddy of mine has his TT-RS in XPEL Stealth. He too, had install issues, but the shop that did the work, has corrected them all through warranty coverage.

Attached Files:

17. clicketyclack

clicketyclack Member

I was initially going to do chrome delete, in fact the installer was going to throw it in, but after seeing pics of cars with it and then seeing my car without it, I decided I really liked how the chrome popped against the satin black and kept it as is.

• Like x 1
  18. paco878

paco878 Member

Maybe I'll let it ride, the chrome. After all, it is the Wife's car. If she doesn't like it, we'll cover it up.

19. ba2002

ba2002 Member

I'm going to leave my chrome. I like the contrast between the dark paint and windows.

• Like x 1
  20. DUBM3

DUBM3 Member

Agreed, I do have the same. Waiting for Tesla replace the emblems.

Attached Files: