Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full car Xpel stealth etching.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car fully covered in Xpel stealth. Overall I am very happy with how the car looks, there are a few nitpicky details I still need to speak to the installer about, but the one thing that bothers me most is that there are a few areas that look like kind of etched. My installer said it should self heal, but it has been a couple weeks now with some pretty hot days and I have poured hot water over the problem areas and it is still there. I attached a pic of one of the worst aread and was curious if anyone has seen anything like this.

View attachment 335579

First off, thank you for choosing XPEL STEALTH to protect your Model 3. Secondly, your installer will absolutely take care of that. Take it back to them and have them address it. As someone mentioned, it looks like the hood wrap needs some TLC too. Keep us posted on the thread and let us know if we can help in any way.

You can also reach out to us directly at [email protected].

First off, thank you for choosing XPEL STEALTH to protect your Model 3. Secondly, your installer will absolutely take care of that. Take it back to them and have them address it. As someone mentioned, it looks like the hood wrap needs some TLC too. Keep us posted on the thread and let us know if we can help in any way.

You can also reach out to us directly at [email protected].

Thank you, Right now the installer needs to correct the marks in the pictures and has agreed to. Looking at the pics, do you know what they are?

We are also working with your warranty department regarding the edge adhesion. This was a major problem throughout the entire car. I will update this thread with the results.

Thank you, Right now the installer needs to correct the marks in the pictures and has agreed to. Looking at the pics, do you know what they are?

We are also working with your warranty department regarding the edge adhesion. This was a major problem throughout the entire car. I will update this thread with the results.

Here is the full story:

Well it looks like your warranty is complete BS! If you want my installers name please PM me as I would rather not put it on a public forum without his permission.

I went to pick up my car and everything looked great, brought it home and parked it outside. The next day it rained and I noticed that all of the wrapped edges around the doors and in some other spots were coming loose. I asked my installer if it was covered under warranty and he said he would check. A few days later I was told it was not covered under the warranty even though it was not the installers error. Why the reason given was because it rained. WHAT, this is a paint protection film and rain invalidates the warranty?!?!. I understand I was not able to get the car washed for two days, but no where on your site or within the warranty information is rain mentioned and you would think a PPF meant to protect your car can withstand rain.

Anyway, my installer was amazing and agreed to travel over an hour to my house to make things right. He spent a good 5 hours trimming the loose edges off. Now I don't have the wrapped edges I paid for, but I was not going to make a fuss since he was doing everything in his power to make things right.

A few days later I noticed that the part of the hood closest to the window was completely coming off as well, and I had some concerns about the edges around the door again. My installer volunteered to come back and trim that off as well and asked for pictures anywhere I noticed problems. This is the first time after the initial install that I went over everything with a fine tooth comb and noticed problems with adhesions on pretty much EVERY SINGLE PANEL. Again my installer volunteered to come in and cut the problem areas off, but being that the doors were giving me some problems again I really wanted things covered by your 10 year warranty since it was very clear that there were some manufacturer problems with the adhesion used for the pieces cut for my car.

At this point I asked my installer to contact Xpel again with this new information and show them the pictures. Now the hood which is the piece giving me the most obvious problems was the first piece installed and was sitting inside the installers shop for 4 or 5 days while he finished the rest of the car. When he contacted Xpel again they told him again that this happened do to the rain, and this was "Neither the installers error, nor a defect in the materials" To say that rain caused this seems kind of ridiculous given what the film is meant for, and to say you can't cover it even though it was not the installers error seems equally silly. It seems that Xpel is doing everything in their power to not honor their warranty.

Xpel then said that they would have someone by the name of Chris Hardy contact my installer and after a day of phone tag my installer has left messages for him the past few days and has not received any calls back.

To say that I am a bit pissed with the way Xpel is handling this situation is a bit of an understatement. Please do what you can about this as there are adhesive problems with pretty much every panel and I am sure they will only get worse with time.

One last question, my installer has done a bunch of Xpel installs and has never had a problem with this. He mentioned that he has heard that Xpel pays their installers somewhere between $5 and $10 an hour for warranty issues. Is this true? Being how good my installer has been with this even travelling over 2 hours round trip to make this right I would hope he is paid a fair wage to fix this.

Sorry for the rant, please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors as I wrote this very quickly and did not reread.

Here is the full story:

Well it looks like your warranty is complete BS! If you want my installers name please PM me as I would rather not put it on a public forum without his permission.

I went to pick up my car and everything looked great, brought it home and parked it outside. The next day it rained and I noticed that all of the wrapped edges around the doors and in some other spots were coming loose. I asked my installer if it was covered under warranty and he said he would check. A few days later I was told it was not covered under the warranty even though it was not the installers error. Why the reason given was because it rained. WHAT, this is a paint protection film and rain invalidates the warranty?!?!. I understand I was not able to get the car washed for two days, but no where on your site or within the warranty information is rain mentioned and you would think a PPF meant to protect your car can withstand rain.

Anyway, my installer was amazing and agreed to travel over an hour to my house to make things right. He spent a good 5 hours trimming the loose edges off. Now I don't have the wrapped edges I paid for, but I was not going to make a fuss since he was doing everything in his power to make things right.

A few days later I noticed that the part of the hood closest to the window was completely coming off as well, and I had some concerns about the edges around the door again. My installer volunteered to come back and trim that off as well and asked for pictures anywhere I noticed problems. This is the first time after the initial install that I went over everything with a fine tooth comb and noticed problems with adhesions on pretty much EVERY SINGLE PANEL. Again my installer volunteered to come in and cut the problem areas off, but being that the doors were giving me some problems again I really wanted things covered by your 10 year warranty since it was very clear that there were some manufacturer problems with the adhesion used for the pieces cut for my car.

At this point I asked my installer to contact Xpel again with this new information and show them the pictures. Now the hood which is the piece giving me the most obvious problems was the first piece installed and was sitting inside the installers shop for 4 or 5 days while he finished the rest of the car. When he contacted Xpel again they told him again that this happened do to the rain, and this was "Neither the installers error, nor a defect in the materials" To say that rain caused this seems kind of ridiculous given what the film is meant for, and to say you can't cover it even though it was not the installers error seems equally silly. It seems that Xpel is doing everything in their power to not honor their warranty.

Xpel then said that they would have someone by the name of Chris Hardy contact my installer and after a day of phone tag my installer has left messages for him the past few days and has not received any calls back.

To say that I am a bit pissed with the way Xpel is handling this situation is a bit of an understatement. Please do what you can about this as there are adhesive problems with pretty much every panel and I am sure they will only get worse with time.

One last question, my installer has done a bunch of Xpel installs and has never had a problem with this. He mentioned that he has heard that Xpel pays their installers somewhere between $5 and $10 an hour for warranty issues. Is this true? Being how good my installer has been with this even travelling over 2 hours round trip to make this right I would hope he is paid a fair wage to fix this.

Sorry for the rant, please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors as I wrote this very quickly and did not reread.

clicketyclack,

We apologize for the inconvenience and will do everything we can do make this right. Let us look into this and get back to you as soon as we can.

Based soley on the pictures, they look like stretch/work marks. I don't think the manufacturer will warranty it, since it's not a defect in the film. The installer may have had a difficult time working the film around that area, which is why there's quite a bit of marks left there.

If you're concerned about edges lifting, I recommend leaving the car at their shop for a couple of days if possible to let it sit and cure while it's still new/fresh. Driving in the rain with lifted edges can cause dirt to get inside the edges so they end up having to trim slightly to remove it.

Not sure how much you paid for the job, but the installer may have done his best, but he just wasn't experienced enough. Hopefully everything works out for you.

Here is the full story:

I'm with you there. XPEL's warranty is pretty BS. I started a warranty process some time ago and was denied even though XPEL advertised self-healing properties.