Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full charge 99%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the Service Center run the battery diagnostics on my car yesterday and it is within the normal thresholds and possibly a little lower on the degredation side compared to the fleet average. They basically just compare it to the fleet and just use data from the vehicle.

I am guessing that range dropping is probably from them moving some to the 0% range to maximize battery life, but thats just a guess. I have seen some people mention driving on zero for a few miles so I assume they leave some spare battery there to preserve battery life.

The service center mentioned you would likely see some warnings on the battery if it was having issues that would warrant a replacement. I just did a 4077 mile road trip to California and had no major issues, but it was obvious my wh/m is higher than it would be during the summer. I just would like 320 miles of range when I go to Big Bend National Park which uses half the battery to get there. Right now I will just plan to car camp overnight at an RV spot whenever I head that way. You absolutely have to charge somewhere just to make it back to the supercharger in Fort Stockton.

I had the Service Center run the battery diagnostics on my car yesterday and it is within the normal thresholds and possibly a little lower on the degredation side compared to the fleet average.

Yes, it seems on the lower side of most reports, a little bit.

I am guessing that range dropping is probably from them moving some to the 0% range to maximize battery life, but thats just a guess. I have seen some people mention driving on zero for a few miles so I assume they leave some spare battery there to preserve battery life.

No, that's probably not what is happening. There is no evidence of any fiddling with the buffer (there is indeed a buffer), except perhaps for that boost from 310 to 325 rated miles that occurred (it's possible that was a reduction in buffer size and adding to rated miles - I don't know). It appears to just be 4.5% of the available energy and that's it.

Based on people with CAN bus access, your vehicle started with probably about 78-79kWh of energy (which would be 333 rated miles, but each rated mile initially contained 240Wh, rather than your current 234Wh/rmi, so it was made to look like 325 rated miles...). Of that, 3.5-3.6kWh was allocated to buffer (which is available for emergencies only, below 0%, and can't be relied upon).

Now, you have 234Wh/rmi*295rmi = 69kWh available, of which 4.5%, or 3.1kWh, is allocated to the buffer.

So (78-69)/78 = 11.5% loss of capacity.

Those are my guesses anyway. Probably your capacity loss will slow a lot from here on out.