Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full charge distance reduction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my MY this month (September) and have purchased the acceleration boost. I did a battery top off yesterday and noticed it would not charge to 315 miles but would instead show 314 as full charge. Anyone else notice this shift after buying the acceleration boost or is it just degradation through 3 weeks? I have supercharged the vehicle to the 85% range 3 times. This was the first time I have taken it to full charge since taking delivery.

I know this missing mile is a very minimal loss and I was never going to actually get 315 anyway, but I do find it an interesting change.

It will go up and down a bit each time, also depending on temperature. It might even go up after charging if you charge it in the cold and then it gets warmer during the day. Degradation will only show over time, statistically.

First, thank you for posting this in the proper section and welcome to the forum.

Second, the 316miles of range that Tesla promotes is the EPA #... which there's plenty to read about how the EPA comes up with that garage figure, basically it comes from an average speed of like 45mph which no one in the real world does all day every day.

Your 316mile range Tesla Model Y has more of a 270-280mile range in the real world. I've noticed it with our Model Y as well and you can find plenty of other experiences to read about it. What you need to remember is that there are a ton of variables that come into play with your range: What's the state of the vehicle (battery temp), outside in the cold all night or toasty warm? What's the weather, is it windy/cold/hot? Are you using the HVAC system to stay cool in hot weather, or heat in cold weather? What's the terrain of your trip, hills/mtn's? Are you travelling at the speed limit or doing 15 over?

All this and more plays into your range, the best way to get max range is to go easy on the fun pedal, be conservative on your HVAC usage and do the speed limit.

It looks like you're in Texas so it's hot there so you'll be using the HVAC to stay cool, consider getting tint all around and even the roof so you don't need to use the A/C so much. The in car navigation is "pretty good" but cannot account for weight/weather(that we know of)/or if you've got a bike rack (aerodynamics that you do to the car) but it does adjust in real-time to your driving habits and will let you know if you need to slow down to reach your destination.

I highly recommend reading the Battery section over on the Model 3 side of the house, there's plenty of good info that's "stickied" up top. Model 3: Battery & Charging

I'm sure I've off on some stuff and we have some complete battery/Tesla "experts" who will correct me but please read up on the forum and ask any questions you have *after a Google search plz*. Don't forget to just drive the car, it's a ton of fun and you'll get used to the real world range very quickly.

So lets start by saying I wasn't certain whether this was a normal fluctuation or if this was related to the acceleration upgrade. I'm not too worried about a mile of distance that I'll never actually realize, but more taking not that it may be an adjustment after the upgrade.