Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full charge... How far can you go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Racerx22b

@unplggdd on Instagram
Nov 17, 2014
West Palm Beach, FL
I've asked this in other threads but haven't received a detailed response. Sorry if this is posted elsewhere but with the new release of the 100D I thought it might be good info.

Can owners please post how many real world miles they can drive on a full charge when running highway speeds in moderate weather on the following models? Please also note your wheel size. I'm reading on here that wheels make no difference to wheels make a huge difference. Not sure what to believe.

90D
P90D
100D
P100D

I can go about 215 miles with my MS 85 2WD with 21" wheels. That is loaded with luggage, 2 adults, 1 teen, and traveling about 78mph. I am interested in getting a P100D but not sure how far that will get me with a full charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
I would say, based upon a recent month long trip, that my P90D with 19" tires and about a 500 Lb. payload can get 250 miles at 74 MPH with range mode off and on 2.52.22, with cabin HVAC set to 68. By the middle of the trip I was very very comfortable by adding 20 miles to the navigation trip estimator to get to the next SuperCharger. With my wife in the car, I just could NOT afford to play it too close to the edge.

BTW, I got my best Wh/m down in your neck of the woods.... FLAT & WARM = rated near actuals.

• Informative
In perfect 75 F weather, no wind and no elevation changes my 90D Model X can get about 250 miles. Now to find those conditions for that long of a journey. I have seen it as low as 170 miles in colder weather with wind and elevation changes.

• Helpful
Good info so far. Just remember to note your wheel size. I can't seem to get a consensus on whether or not this makes no difference, a little difference , or a huge difference.

I guess I could just cut to the chase.....

Do you think the P100D MX could go 250 miles on a full charge at a relatively steady 75-80mph freeway speed with 3 adults on board with some luggage? I am thinking it should be no problem.

P100DL w/ standard 20in...

Did a long road trip at highway speeds with cruise control set at speed limit +10 during the day and +5 at night, covered 2800 miles with a average consumption of just under 400 Wh/mi and that equals about 250 miles with the 100KW battery. The trip was from Charlotte to San Antonio and back.. No major mountain range crossings but real driving and not trying to be conservative.. Two people lots of luggage..

At the first few charging stations I believed the trip computer and only charged to the Telsa's computer suggested charge. This left me with less than 10 miles of charge upon reaching the next charger. Too close.. Now I fully charged at most superchargers just so that I can drive the X like I would any other car and keeping the interior at 74 degrees..

Yes, I believe that range is attainable... without mountains....

My weekly trip to the mountains that is 110 miles of distance but with an altitude gain of 3700 feet (not including undulations) easily consumes 160 miles of range.. On some of the climbs the X pulls 1000wh/m

• Helpful
Good info so far. Just remember to note your wheel size. I can't seem to get a consensus on whether or not this makes no difference, a little difference , or a huge difference.

I guess I could just cut to the chase.....

Do you think the P100D MX could go 250 miles on a full charge at a relatively steady 75-80mph freeway speed with 3 adults on board with some luggage? I am thinking it should be no problem.

The wheels don't make much of a difference, the tires do. The wider contact patch of the 22's with stickier summer tires means more grip, but also means more friction/resistance to overcome. I bet if you took both wheels and used the same tires and sizes, the difference would be minimal. This might also be the reason you see inconsistencies as some purchase aftermarket with their own tire selection as well.

I think the PX100D should be able to hit it. Based on the capacity, you would need to consume 393wh/mi or less. Certainly possible. Based on the Model X Energy Consumption thread..you're in the range.

I usually keep a 30-50mile safety net before I recharge. On some of our trips I have seen anywhere from a low of 180 to high of 225 miles (@avg 70mph range mode ON and AC on in summer or heat set to 72 in winter) before I needed to recharge.

And remember, it's faster to charge when empty but once the charge gets to about 200 miles, unless you are still at lunch/dinner, you will be better off getting on the road.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
The wheels don't make much of a difference, the tires do. The wider contact patch of the 22's with stickier summer tires means more grip, but also means more friction/resistance to overcome. I bet if you took both wheels and used the same tires and sizes, the difference would be minimal. This might also be the reason you see inconsistencies as some purchase aftermarket with their own tire selection as well.

I think the PX100D should be able to hit it. Based on the capacity, you would need to consume 393wh/mi or less. Certainly possible. Based on the Model X Energy Consumption thread..you're in the range.
I disagree that the biggest difference is due to the tires. I believe the biggest difference is the weight of the wheel/tire combination that is having the largest effect on energy consumption.

If you check the Wh/m threads I have been tracking the difference between the 20" and the 22" wheels. The average is currently at 359.7 for those 20" wheels and 430.8 for those with 22" wheels. More than half of those who have reported their Wh/m with 22" wheels have all seasons on them (90D and 75D models came with AS, even on the 22's), not, as you say "stickier summer tires". I'm basing this on the assumption that Tesla delivered the Performance models with summer tires and the Non-Performance models with All Season tires (which the order page used to indicate). I don't think we have enough data to draw any conclusions on the tire type since people have only been reporting wheel size. Besides that, many have already changed wheels and tires.

Personally I've changed from the OEM 22's with AS tires to aftermarket 20's with a winter(ish) tire. I'm tracking my Wh/m with one of the trip meters since I made the change. Currently they are the same (422 Wh/m), but you have to keep in mind that it has been a quite a bit colder and wetter winter than normal here in the PNW. I've also done much less highway miles than I did on the 22's. That would lead you to think that my Wh/m should be much higher, but's it's not.

What's your 90% and Lifetime Wh/m

Below is my temperature chart from Tesla Fi. This is wonderful information. If you don't have the program get it.

With lots of short drives in the winter over several days you can exceed 2 miles used per 1 mile driven. For longer trips it is better. My 90% charge is 221 and I would not want to plan on much over 100 miles in the winter and maybe 150 in the summer. Anymore and you will need to pay attention to usage and maybe conserve.

Today I drove 112 miles, started at 219 miles ended at 38 miles rated. Temperature at start was about 15 Deg f and finish about 25 Deg f.

Temperature Efficiency - Drives Over 1 Mile

Temperature Wh/Mile Efficiency % Miles Recorded
0 to 10 F 679.32 49.2 31.44
10 to 20 F 545.33 61.3 341.15
20 to 30 F 515.24 65 710.48
30 to 40 F 428.59 77.8 2011.24
40 to 50 F 409.63 81.2 984.75
50 to 60 F 361.5 92.1 626.84
60 to 70 F 361.13 91.9 297.97
70 to 80 F 330.65 100 85.61

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian
I disagree that the biggest difference is due to the tires. I believe the biggest difference is the weight of the wheel/tire combination that is having the largest effect on energy consumption.

The summer tires was an example, based on Tesla's OE offering when buying the package. Remember contact patches matter too.
Unless everyone stepped down to a 265 width in the rear, the contact patch is approximately 4% larger - per tire. That's not even getting into actual contact patches based on tire manufacturers. You're welcome to disagree, but this will certainly have an affect on mileage. It's the same reason why Toyota originally put low friction, skinny tires on a Prius.

But you're right in that weight also plays a factor. For that, we'd have to factor weight of the entire wheel + tire combination + air pressures to determine full weight. With weight also, it will fluctuate more based on driving style. There are more drastic differences in stop & go vs consistent highway cruising when factoring in weight. There are also others who have said putting on 22" lightweight wheels have had minimal effect on their wh/mi - which has made me wonder if the lower overall mass reduces the amount of regenerative braking available. All of that is too theoretical for me to say confidently, which is why I left that out.

You did see they said "with a 90% charge" didn't you? Also, I assume Ft. Wayne is in Indiana and it's winter in Indiana the last time I checked. ;)

I did note that and I'll be the first to admit I'm not mathematician but a 10% difference in charge equaling a 80 mile range difference doesn't add up to me. Perhaps my math is off though.

If in fact this is due to weather and the person blasting their heat that would've been good info to include. Especially since its such a noticeably different claim than others.

Having said that I really appreciate the feedback from everyone thus far. I have found a P100D New Inventory/Demo with 1500 miles for a good price. The only thing I have to compromise on is the seat config. I really wanted 6 seater but it's a 7 seater. Ugh!

Jason

I did note that and I'll be the first to admit I'm not mathematician but a 10% difference in charge equaling a 80 mile range difference doesn't add up to me. Perhaps my math is off though.

If in fact this is due to weather and the person blasting their heat that would've been good info to include. Especially since its such a noticeably different claim than others.

Having said that I really appreciate the feedback from everyone thus far. I have found a P100D New Inventory/Demo with 1500 miles for a good price. The only thing I have to compromise on is the seat config. I really wanted 6 seater but it's a 7 seater. Ugh!

Jason
It's not about blasting heat, it's about the fact that colder air is more dense and takes more energy to propel the vehicle through. Heat does affect the range as well but it's a much smaller affect. ICE vehicles also get worse (actually pretty comparable as a percentage of warmer weather range) mileage in the winter as well and it's not just due to winter blend gasoline.

Extreme winter temps and weather conditions (wind, heavy rain, slush, snow, etc.) have been shown (in S's and X's) to reduce the range by 25% to 50%. There are lots of threads on this if you want to do a search. You could read for days on the subject.

I have 90d with 22's. I cannot get over 200 miles on a charge if I'm by myself with no luggage. The wheels are absolutely killing the range. I am going to change to the 20's asap because it's just unacceptable for me with how much driving I do... I'm averaging 400 wh/Mile all freeway miles in so cal.

I'll be money my range goes up 17-20% with smaller wheels.

It's not about blasting heat, it's about the fact that colder air is more dense and takes more energy to propel the vehicle through. Heat does affect the range as well but it's a much smaller affect. ICE vehicles also get worse (actually pretty comparable as a percentage of warmer weather range) mileage in the winter as well and it's not just due to winter blend gasoline.

Extreme winter temps and weather conditions (wind, heavy rain, slush, snow, etc.) have been shown (in S's and X's) to reduce the range by 25% to 50%. There are lots of threads on this if you want to do a search. You could read for days on the subject.

Honest question... If what you say is true then why does nearly everyone say to use the seat heaters to keep warm and minimize the use of cabin heat? I'm confused.

Honest question... If what you say is true then why does nearly everyone say to use the seat heaters to keep warm and minimize the use of cabin heat? I'm confused.
It's the outside cold air that sucks more energy as @Racerx22b said. Plus your battery is going through extreme cold air and it takes more energy to keep it warm. The energy used to heat the cabin is much smaller as compared to energy used to plough through cold dense air.