TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Full Charge Not Recommended by Tesla on Regular Basis

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by dthomas, Feb 19, 2013.

1. dthomas

dthomas New Member

I wish my salesperson told me BEFORE I purchased that car that Tesla does not recommend fully charging the battery. Standard charge only gets my 60Kw battery to approx. 189mi, I need the full 240 regularly. That would've influenced my buying decision.

2. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

If you had asked anyone on these forums or the main Tesla ones, we would have all recommended the 85kWh battery. Did you tell your salesperson that you would need the full "240" charge regularly?

3. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

The 60 only is stated to provide 230. And the EPA rating is 208. So, not sure why you thought the 60 could provide 240 regularly. Either sell the 60 and get an 85, or find a way to charge halfway through your regular commute.

4. youlikeadajuice

Even with a max range charge, the 60kwh battery is only advertised to do 230 miles at 55mph, and that would be kinda pushing it (in my opinion):

Model S Features | Tesla Motors

5. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

If you need to range charge for a trip try to organise that the charge to complete as close as possible to your departure time.
    I understand that the negative effect on the battery is both charging to 100% and how long the battery stays at 100% SOC. Minimising the time at 100% SOC will minimise the effect on the battery.
    Many Model S owners do a standard charge then change the charge type to range using the smartphone app a few hours before leaving.
    Hope that helps.

6. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

I find this post odd. No one would recommend the 60 if you needed 240 on the regular.

Who advised you? Did you read the specs on TESLAs site before purchasing?

Did you have any interaction with TESLA prior to purchase?

7. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I hope he didn't buy it secondhand. Would be very odd, but a 240 mile regular trip is such an odd fit for a 60.

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

If I were you, I would sell the 60kWh at cost minus the $7500 (which I think would sell really fast, nobody's going to pay premium now that lead times are down significantly) and put a new reservation in for an 85kWh.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

EPA range numbers have been out for a while for the 60kWh pack. A routine 240 mile trip, depending upon conditions, may even push the limits of the 85kWh pack, and certainly will after a couple years of degradation. If I routinely did that long of a trip (as in more than once a month) I would buy a hybrid or have a second car for that purpose.

10. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

You could try to talk to Tesla about trading in the 60 kWh battery for a 85 kWh battery. Switching battery packs is supposedly something like a 15 minute job.

Maybe they will be willing to sell you an upgrade for $15000 or something. I'd expect it to cost less than losing the $7500 tax rebate, in any case. (If Tesla is able and willing to sell you the upgrade, of course.)

If you talk to Tesla about this, let us know what they say! It would be useful information.

11. kinddog

kinddog Banned

do you usually conduct a bare minimum of research before making $70,000 purchases? or is the Model S an aberration?

12. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

I don't think different size packs are interchangeable. Would have been nice though...

13. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Ouch. Where ya been kinddog. Been missin' ya!

14. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

If the only difference is that the 60 kWh pack uses an older variant of the battery cells, they should be interchangeable. But I have not seen confirmation from Tesla on the matter.

It would be interesting if the OP asked them.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Really? I thought the 60 kWh pack just had fewer cells in it.

16. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

They are not interchangeable.

- - - Updated - - -

kinddog is desperately trying to lose his green dot :)

- - - Updated - - -

mknox, I thought I read here that the "missing cells" are replaced by some kind of "dead cells" so that the weight would be the same ... thus not have to undergo another crash test for all three car weights?

17. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

My understanding is that the 85 kWh and 60 kWh packs have the same number of cells, but use different variants of the battery cells, and then the 40 kWh pack uses fewer cells.

But I don't believe I've seen official information on the topic.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know why? US regulations or technical reasons?

18. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

He just uses his "OUTSIDE" voice (as my mother used to say) more than the rest of us. ie: He says what a lot of us are thinking. I find it refreshing and frankly there are times in my life when I wish I had that ability more.

19. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Let's just make sure we all stay on the right side of civility (especially with new members).

20. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I doubt that. Seeing that they have the 'battery replacement program' (meaning they can actually remove the battery and put a new one in), and the fact that they state on their facts page that it is possible to upgrade to a larger battery:
    IMHO I think that they will indeed offer this upgrade path in the future. I think they reason that various Tesla people have said that this is not true is likely due to just trying to convince people to spend more money now than later. I also haven't seen any official documents saying this won't be possible. Only speculation and blog posts. Their fact sheet seems like the most official doc I've seen related to this topic which states that it will indeed be possible in the future.