Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Charge Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wifes LR RWD was the same way, was ALWAYS 279 at 90% since new, after whatever update when people started getting the increase in range (to 325) her car started going lower and would only get to 303-304 at 100%

We just took a small road trip to northern AZ (maybe 140 mikes each way) but stopped at the supercharger just as a bathroom break (almost never use to supercharger) and after up and back (2 times a week apart) the car is back to 279 at 90%, so i personally would really worry about it, We can out cars on % and not miles, but just switch and look once in a while

My P3 only gets 273 at 90% since i bought it in March

Yeah I drive 11 miles per day for commute (more on weekends though) and I’m worried my battery will be confused. I charge to 85% so during the week I’m basically at 83-85% the entire time.
So why do you care if the car displays 300 mile range at 100%, or 310 mile range, or whatever? It doesn't affect the use of your car at all, and doesn't change the actual battery capacity, just how the algorithm ESTIMATES range. Stop worrying and just enjoy your car. When it's time for a long trip the car will be just fine.

So why do you care if the car displays 300 mile range at 100%, or 310 mile range, or whatever? It doesn't affect the use of your car at all, and doesn't change the actual battery capacity, just how the algorithm ESTIMATES range. Stop worrying and just enjoy your car. When it's time for a long trip the car will be just fine.

If the range calculation is out of whack and you go to take a long trip, the car could underestimate the distance you can drive and suggest more frequent charging stops. It can take a couple of charge cycles for it to calibrate.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Shallow charging cycles are what throw the range calculation out of wack. If you charge every three or four days instead of daily, the calculation will improve.
I've only had my car for a month, so I'm still trying to fully understand the battery and charging cycles. I drive about 55 miles roundtrip daily and use about 25% charge each day (interstate driving with 1,500+ elevation gain on way to work with multiple climbs and shorter downhills each way). Right now, I only have a 120V charging option at home, so I'm recovering about half of my usage each night. I try to charge back to 80% over the weekend (or if necessary at a ChargePoint station during the week) so that I can get through the week. As I understand it, the BMS is OK managing this type of charging without long-term impact to the battery. Is that right? When I get a 240V solution installed at home, am I better off running the SOC lower before recharging?

If the range calculation is out of whack and you go to take a long trip, the car could underestimate the distance you can drive and suggest more frequent charging stops. It can take a couple of charge cycles for it to calibrate.
A difference in estimate of 10 miles or so out of more than 300 miles is not going to have any practical impact on when you stop to supercharge.

I've only had my car for a month, so I'm still trying to fully understand the battery and charging cycles. I drive about 55 miles roundtrip daily and use about 25% charge each day (interstate driving with 1,500+ elevation gain on way to work with multiple climbs and shorter downhills each way). Right now, I only have a 120V charging option at home, so I'm recovering about half of my usage each night. I try to charge back to 80% over the weekend (or if necessary at a ChargePoint station during the week) so that I can get through the week. As I understand it, the BMS is OK managing this type of charging without long-term impact to the battery. Is that right? When I get a 240V solution installed at home, am I better off running the SOC lower before recharging?
No. Just plug in every night when you get home and don’t think any more about it. The car is smarter than its owners.

Sounds fine to me. 25% isn't that shallow of a cycle, so just keep doing this routine if that's what works for you. You're really going to like 240 volt charging once you get that hooked up.

I don’t care that much. This is someone else’s thread. I was just responding saying how shallow my charging cycles are. Maybe I shouldn’t charge every night.

So the official answer I got from talking to the technician at the service center is that the range reflects your driving style and the car adjusting to your habits. The full charge will show the range that the car thinks you can get based on your driving style. This explains why the outbound supercharge maxed out at 299 and the return showed 304 (driving more efficiently on the way back). People seeing the full 325 are probably resetting more often by letting the battery get down low and then charging up (which I've never done).

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
So the official answer I got from talking to the technician at the service center is that the range reflects your driving style and the car adjusting to your habits. The full charge will show the range that the car thinks you can get based on your driving style. This explains why the outbound supercharge maxed out at 299 and the return showed 304 (driving more efficiently on the way back). People seeing the full 325 are probably resetting more often by letting the battery get down low and then charging up (which I've never done).
Your "official" answer is wrong. There are countless examples of incorrect things Tesla employees have said, and this is one of them. We used to have a thread here of stupid things Tesla people say but I can't find it now.

The displayed range on the battery meter is the EPA rated range. Period. Full stop. He is describing the range on the trip meter which does estimate range based on your most recent 5, 15 or 30 miles of driving.

Mine never got any range boost. I am still close to 310 but never had a bump. Took it down to 5% and charged back up with no difference.
This is my experience, too. I can sit a long time at a supercharger or my own 220V and only peak at 308. I used to let run down to around 5 miles at the end of odd months before a full charge but it never made a difference.

My 2019 Long range AWD on a full charge shows 294 miles, why is it low what can I do better?

I always keep it plugged at how with wall charger and on a daily basis set the charge limit at 80%

some people claim that if you set the charge max to 80% instead of 90% that over time the battery will think it has less range. I charge mine to 85% and the max range is 289 so who knows.
I have an Aug 2018 LR RWD. 13k miles

some people claim that if you set the charge max to 80% instead of 90% that over time the battery will think it has less range. I charge mine to 85% and the max range is 289 so who knows.
I have an Aug 2018 LR RWD. 13k miles
Great video on this put out by Kim (LikeTesla) on YouTube, she was charging at 80% and the battery took a dive, after talking to Tesla battery engineers and Elon, they now recommend 90%.

Fred