Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full matrix headlight functionality just approved by NHTSA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full matrix headlight functionality has just been approved by NHTSA!

I’m very excited to see this approved. Can’t wait for the updates.

A0591F1A-B737-4044-93E7-158700842EC7.jpeg

(“20191122-tesla-Cybertruck-driving-lightbar” by Kruzat is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
while i get what you are saying, Matrix is already being used in Europe. To my knowledge (though limited) there are no complaints.
I'm under the impression that even in Europe they're used in the on/off manner as in the US. (With Tesla -- I know other manufacturers do them well. I'm just not confident in Tesla's ability to do so).

Do the S or X vehicles have this?
Not yet.

So it’s clear a lot of people are excited about this. Why is this so life changing? I don’t really have trouble seeing at night. I get it that once everybody has these lights there will be less glare/blinding … but what does it do for the owner to have these lights?
Check out this video, it demonstrates the advantages of Matrix headlights...

I wanted to learn more about the headlights and found a teardown of the M3 headlight units. It is mind-boggling how much complexity is in there. For the projector circuit board showing the matrix of 102 LEDs skip to 15:25 (close to the end). But if you watch the whole thing you'll see many other LEDs on other circuit boards, too.

That is amazingly complex! It is unnerving in once sense, and beautiful in another.

I remember buying single halogen bulbs not long ago.

Reactions: TEXAS-Y-P
I remember buying single halogen bulbs not long ago.

Indeed. I've gotten on my soapbox before about how LED taillights piss me off...lots of expense to replace just so that some artistic designer at the auto company can strut their stuff with a silly shape and dadgummit I miss being able get a simple replacement bulb at NAPA! But these things? They probably cost over $1000 to replace (just for the part) but after watching the video I would feal like I'm at least getting something for it.:eek:

Reactions: Johnny Vector
This is exciting! Hopefully Canadians will get it around the same time as our friends south of the border. I paid to have the full matrix headlight on my previous BMW and then paid a third party coder to enable the European matrix capability. It was such a huge difference to have the tunnelling enabled vs the “dumb” on/off style adaptive beams. Can’t wait to get this as an OTA update hopefully this year 🙏

Proper matrix headlights are pretty cool if done properly. I remember driving a few years ago, and couldn't work out why my car was lighting the verges in front of me so well all of a sudden when my lights were dipped because there were oncoming cars. Then finally twigged that it was the car behind shining its lights past me, and lighting the edge of the road in front of me and into the distance, without dazzling me at all. That was a BMW - I've kind of wanted matrix lights ever since that one day!

So it’s clear a lot of people are excited about this. Why is this so life changing? I don’t really have trouble seeing at night. I get it that once everybody has these lights there will be less glare/blinding … but what does it do for the owner to have these lights?
It lights up in HB mode around other cars, so you get a much better forward visibility! MUCH better :)