Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full moon lunar eclipse at perigee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nikxice

Oct 31, 2014
Hudson, NH
Everyday Astronauts Livestream of the launch if you prefer a play by play of the event.
A little off topic here, but couldn't help but notice the Everyday Astronaut is doing some click baity Supermoon schtick on Wednesday. Just a few years ago we usually recognized these events as full moons. Now we have some kind of bloody Supermoon every couple of months. I get that this might inspire some people, but a better view of lunar features can be had with binoculars before or after a full moon. Full moons tend to wash out craters, during other lunar phases shadows provide depth to the landscape, which I find more interesting and inspirational.

I chalk up the trend towards using verbose hype as attempts to make old things seem new and therefore different. Used cars have become pre-owned and so on. Love the most recent one. In the northeast we just can't have a regular snowstorm anymore. The latest one had to be a cyclone bomb!

Reactions: jkn and Grendal
A little off topic here, but couldn't help but notice the Everyday Astronaut is doing some click baity Supermoon schtick on Wednesday. Just a few years ago we usually recognized these events as full moons. Now we have some kind of bloody Supermoon every couple of months. I get that this might inspire some people, but a better view of lunar features can be had with binoculars before or after a full moon. Full moons tend to wash out craters, during other lunar phases shadows provide depth to the landscape, which I find more interesting and inspirational.

I chalk up the trend towards using verbose hype as attempts to make old things seem new and therefore different. Used cars have become pre-owned and so on. Love the most recent one. In the northeast we just can't have a regular snowstorm anymore. The latest one had to be a cyclone bomb!

To be fair, it was a full moon at perigee with a total lunar eclipse that happens only every 150 years or so, and while you might want to look closely at the craters, most people just want to look and say "Oooooh!"

Reactions: Nikxice and jkn
To be fair, it was a full moon at perigee with a total lunar eclipse that happens only every 150 years or so, and while you might want to look closely at the craters, most people just want to look and say "Oooooh!"
The “every 150 years or so” statement is not correct.

See Lunar Eclipses for Beginners

QUOTE: “During the five thousand year period from 2000 BCE through 3000 CE, there are 7,718 eclipses of the Moon (partial and total). This averages out to about one and a half eclipses each year. Actually, the number of lunar eclipses in a single year can range from 0 to 3. The last time that 3 total lunar eclipses occurred in one calendar year was in 1982. Partial eclipses slightly outnumber total eclipses by 7 to 6.”

On that page is a table showing partial and total lunar eclipses from 2014 to 2020. During that period there were/will be 7 total lunar eclipses.

At Lunar Eclipse Preview: 2011 - 2030 Is a table for 2011 to 2030 showing 18 total lunar eclipses.

QUOTE: “During the five thousand year period from 2000 BCE through 3000 CE, there are 7,718 eclipses of the Moon (partial and total). This averages out to about one and a half eclipses each year. Actually, the number of lunar eclipses in a single year can range from 0 to 3. The last time that 3 total lunar eclipses occurred in one calendar year was in 1982. Partial eclipses slightly outnumber total eclipses by 7 to 6.”

On that page is a table showing partial and total lunar eclipses from 2014 to 2020. During that period there were/will be 7 total lunar eclipses.

At Lunar Eclipse Preview: 2011 - 2030 Is a table for 2011 to 2030 showing 18 total lunar eclipses.
Moon at perigee and a total lunar eclipse same time is rare. Moon looks larger at perigee, but difference is not enormous. I haven't checked, but every 150 years or so is probably correct.

I should have been clearer. I meant that it was a (full moon + perigee + total lunar eclipse) combination that was rare. But I'm now better informed about lunar eclipses thanks, and I'm happy to be corrected by anyone on the frequency.of the combination.

I should have been clearer. I meant that it was a (full moon + perigee + total lunar eclipse) combination that was rare. But I'm now better informed about lunar eclipses thanks, and I'm happy to be corrected by anyone on the frequency.of the combination.
Lunar eclipses are always at full moon. Think of the geometry. The 150 years thing was also including a "blue moon", which is when there are two full moons in a calendar month, I saw that mentioned in one article. But The Most Spectacular Eclipse of 2018 Is Tomorrow says the last time was in 1982. As far as I'm concerned blue moon is just an accident of the calendar, and has pretty much nothing to do with the moon.

Reactions: Nikxice
The rare part is the combo--total eclipse + super + blood last happened in the western hemisphere 152 years ago.

Off-topic, but since we're on an off-topic kick waiting for the webcast to start, here are a few shots I grabbed this AM.

DSCF6613.jpg DSCF6680-2.jpg DSCF6703.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
The rare part is the combo--total eclipse + super + blood last happened in the western hemisphere 152 years ago.

Off-topic, but since we're on an off-topic kick waiting for the webcast to start, here are a few shots I grabbed this AM.

View attachment 277128 View attachment 277129 View attachment 277130
Lunar eclipse lasted 76 min. That is about 1/500 of a month, so Moon is at perigee during 1 out of 500 eclipses. Partial eclipse lasted 3:23. Perigee is once out of 200 partial eclipses. With 1.5 eclipses on a year that makes one perigee during 130 years. Of course perigee same day as eclipse is practically same and more common.