Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full PPF Wrap vs Clearbra

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to weigh the difference in cost between getting a full PPF wrap on a new MYP vs only having a clearbra installed. The shops in the area I live will charge me between $5,500 for the full wrap (normal finish) to $6,500 (stealth Xpel matte finish), whereas it will only be about $1600 to have a clearbra installed that covers the entire hood and front fender area. Obviously, the difference in cost is immense, but since I've heard that the main areas that are damaged by road debris are the front fender and the rear doors, could having a clearbra, or clearbra and the rear doors, covered give me an amount of coverage that should be sufficient for protection from road debris at a fraction of the cost of a full vehicle wrap? It is just going to be extremely difficult to shell out 4-5 thousand more for full coverage (even though I think the matte stealth Xpel finish paired with the midnight silver metallic looks amazing) if having just a clearbra, or the clearbra and the rear doors done, would be nearly as practical. I understand I wouldn't have coverage on the front doors or the rear, but from what I understand, those areas are not super prone to damage from road debris. It could still be damaged by other things, but protection from road debris is my main concern.

A decision I am trying to make myself. Love the idea of full coverage, but not at $6000.
It certainly is a tough one to make. Right now the app says I should be expecting delivery between today and May 30th, so assuming that is even somewhere in the ballpark, I've got to decide relatively quickly. Deciding on this is harder than deciding which Telsa to get lol

Reactions: Halldawg
I am trying to weigh the difference in cost between getting a full PPF wrap on a new MYP vs only having a clearbra installed. The shops in the area I live will charge me between $5,500 for the full wrap (normal finish) to $6,500 (stealth Xpel matte finish), whereas it will only be about $1600 to have a clearbra installed that covers the entire hood and front fender area. Obviously, the difference in cost is immense, but since I've heard that the main areas that are damaged by road debris are the front fender and the rear doors, could having a clearbra, or clearbra and the rear doors, covered give me an amount of coverage that should be sufficient for protection from road debris at a fraction of the cost of a full vehicle wrap? It is just going to be extremely difficult to shell out 4-5 thousand more for full coverage (even though I think the matte stealth Xpel finish paired with the midnight silver metallic looks amazing) if having just a clearbra, or the clearbra and the rear doors done, would be nearly as practical. I understand I wouldn't have coverage on the front doors or the rear, but from what I understand, those areas are not super prone to damage from road debris. It could still be damaged by other things, but protection from road debris is my main concern.
I have the same color coming and I’m also looking at the same choices to make. I love the matte STEk or stealth from XPEL but 6500 is a lot. I’m leaning more towards the clear bra which I was quoted about 2000, or using precut expel and do hood, bumper and front fenders myself.

My take on this,

I did the full Stealth STEK PPF on my MSM MYP because:
1. I plan on keeping the car for at least 10 years
2. It is already hydrophobic coated so washing the car takes less than 20 minutes on a cool day
3. CA roads really suck and knowing my luck, a rock chip will appear at an area that was not protected
4. Every time i park and walk away, i turn around and look at it and realize how awesome it looks :)

Granted, it is a big chunk of change but if you can afford it, it is totally worth it IMO.

1652827601031.jpeg

My take on this,

2. It is already hydrophobic coated so washing the car takes less than 20 minutes on a cool day
3. CA roads really suck and knowing my luck, a rock chip will appear at an area that was not protected
4. Every time i park and walk away, i turn around and look at it and realize how awesome it looks :)

Granted, it is a big chunk of change but if you can afford it, it is totally worth it IMO.

View attachment 805569
Love that look. Did they wrap edges of fenders and bumpers. My whole thing is if I got matte I don’t want any edges showing. I’ve watched a lot of videos of guys doing bulk and pre cut of gloss PPF but not all of them can wrap around the edges of all panels only some. Assuming yours was done with bulk stealth.

I’ve gone through the same thought process a few times (gives me something to think about other than where I the hell is my VIN!) I did a casual inspection of a few MY‘s in parking lots and decided a clear bra for front bumper and hood is mandatory. The nose design is a chip magnet (magnetic plastic and aluminum, who would of thought?) Then, I looked at my car, and where my dings are after several years of daily use. In my case, idiots opening their door into mine, and people who should be required to carry insurance to push a shopping cart were just as bad as road debris, and I have to look at the dings on the doors every time I get in the car. Adding rear bumper and doors brought the cost within spitting distance of the full wrap. Finally I saw a MSM MYP stealth wrapped close-up, and I could feel the suction on my wallet! On the bright side, each month of waiting for a VIN gives me more time to save for the full stealth wrap. Unless you’re planning on flipping the car (literally or figuratively), think about paying $1 or $2 a day to get what you want to see for the next several years, and go for it! Of course, this advice is from a guy still driving his 2000 F:150. YMMV

Love that look. Did they wrap edges of fenders and bumpers. My whole thing is if I got matte I don’t want any edges showing. I’ve watched a lot of videos of guys doing bulk and pre cut of gloss PPF but not all of them can wrap around the edges of all panels only some. Assuming yours was done with bulk stealth.
Yes, bulk and no edges showing at all.

Reactions: weathergeekdan
My take on this,

View attachment 805569
That is a gorgeous vehicle, I can't wait to receive mine! Yeah, I'm also planning on keeping the vehicle for a long time, and don't really want to risk damage in areas that had been left unprotected. And with how your car looks with the matte wrap, I'm leaning pretty heavily in the full wrap direction haha

I’ve gone through the same thought process a few times (gives me something to think about other than where I the hell is my VIN!) I did a casual inspection of a few MY‘s in parking lots and decided a clear bra for front bumper and hood is mandatory. The nose design is a chip magnet (magnetic plastic and aluminum, who would of thought?) Then, I looked at my car, and where my dings are after several years of daily use. In my case, idiots opening their door into mine, and people who should be required to carry insurance to push a shopping cart were just as bad as road debris, and I have to look at the dings on the doors every time I get in the car. Adding rear bumper and doors brought the cost within spitting distance of the full wrap. Finally I saw a MSM MYP stealth wrapped close-up, and I could feel the suction on my wallet! On the bright side, each month of waiting for a VIN gives me more time to save for the full stealth wrap. Unless you’re planning on flipping the car (literally or figuratively), think about paying $1 or $2 a day to get what you want to see for the next several years, and go for it! Of course, this advice is from a guy still driving his 2000 F:150. YMMV
Yup, protecting the front end of the vehicle is a must with the nose shape! Those random events that can damage any part of the vehicle is what I'm worried about running into, and why I think I will go with the full coverage. When I think about it as $1-$2/day to protect my vehicle and keep it looking pristine, it makes a lot more sense!

My take on this,

View attachment 805569

I see you are in Cali. Who wrapped your car and would you recommend them?

A reason for having the doors fully wrapped is to also minimize scratches around the door handle caused by finger-nails and rings. I was provided with a black M3 loaner - and there were noticeable scratches and scuffs around the door handles.

I am still trying to master the most effective technique to open the M3/MY push-pull door handles, so I find my fingernails often dragging across the painted surface of the door.

Reactions: MD048