TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Full Self Drive Software Update Preference

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Naekuh, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Naekuh

Naekuh Member

Anyone else get this email?

[​IMG]

So we finally get FSD? :eek:

Attached Files:

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. r0xx0r

r0xx0r Member

You got Early Access builds :)

3. Sharps97

Sharps97 Member

I just did also.

4. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Yup, got it as well. I don't actually expect it to do anything.

• Like x 1
  5. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

Ditto. Notably, I’m still on 2019.16.2, despite receiving this and having it set to advanced. I see there are plenty of people who jumped ahead to 2019.20.1.

6. Tesomega

Tesomega Member

I got the email today, but I had the 2019.20.1 previously 2019.15.x (I think due to enabling Software update as Advanced) before it started rolling out for the larger population...

7. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

I don't get it. Email mentions nothing about Early Access and the "Advanced" switch was supposed to do that for everyone.

• Like x 1
  8. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Member

Yes, I don't really understand why this email went out or what it really means.

9. MarcusMaximus

Ah, so you haven’t heard. They aren’t doing the Early Access invites(confirmed by Ars Technica and Electrek last week). Instead, the idea is that when we use “Advanced”, we’ll be put ahead of everyone else who didn’t preorder FSD in line for each update.

I’d actually be somewhat ok with that(I don’t know what they were thinking, offering literally 10’s of thousands of customers to join their closed beta testing group), if there was any evidence we actually are put in front. Not really seeing it so far. I’d like to think we’ll be in front of the line for AP3 hardware upgrades, but I’m guessing that won’t happen either.

10. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

So, where does the “Priority Access to Software Updates” referral reward fit into all this? This email seems to be describing that benefit more than an “Invitation to Early Access Program.”

There’s a subset of customers who should be getting an invite to the Early Access Program and Priority Software Access.

The fact they specifically used the term “you’re invited” in today’s email feels like they’re intentionally playing word games. Are they trying to make people to think this was the promised “Early Access Program invite?”

I’d feel a lot better if they were simply honest: “We are unable to accommodate everyone with FSD into the Early Access Program. Instead, we’ve upgraded you to a new Priority Software Access group.” Now that they’ve taken away the uniqueness of the Priority Software referral, just invite the people in both groups (FSD and Priority Software Access) to the Early Access Program. What would that be? A couple hundred people? How many could possibly have had early FSD and 4+ referrals?

In the meantime, I’d love for them to clarify the difference between: advanced, advanced with priority software access referral, and advanced with early FSD.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  11. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I’ve been posting about this elsewhere and I agree this is just confusing. Advanced was supposed to give you ‘your’ software ‘more quickly’. If this really means now you are in EA that’s bad. I may or may not have a car (one of two) physically in EA. I may or may not want the other one in EA but I do want it to get normal updates ASAP.

We really need two switches. The Advanced we were promised by Elon to get ‘our’ updates ASAP and another to put a car into EA if we are to be allowed to do with a software switch.

As for the priority software from the referral, wonder how that compares to the original Advsnced which was supposed to be just that, getting ‘your’ software earlier.

• Like x 1
  12. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Got it too. Actually not that many people on 20.1 outside of California and Europe.

13. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

This makes more sense than adding a huge number of people to the Early Access program and requiring them to adhere to the Early Access confidentiality terms (which wasn't going to happen).

However, it's not clear what we're really getting by setting the software updates to Advanced.

We purchased FSD for our S & X - and have both set to Advanced. Both vehicles have been on 16.2.

Our X had its first annual service last week and was updated to 16.3.2 by the Service Center.

Our S is still on 16.2.

So haven't yet seen any benefit from the Advanced setting.

14. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I have not gotten the email, although I am an early FSD buyer. Hope I am coded correctly in their system.

EDIT: never mind, was in my junk box. So I am coded correctly.

15. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I wonder if anyone who didn’t order FSD has this option after getting 2019.16.2
    It seemed like everyone got the option

16. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

I have the setting with 2019.16 and set it to Advanced. I didn't get the email. I didn't order before March.

17. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

I honestly don't expect anything to change at all. The false hopes and promises of Early Access and Software on demand or request is just more smoke and mirrors. Kinda sad actually.

18. MarcusMaximus

I’m in California.

19. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

ha... I (and everyone) got that option regardless of FSD purchase

20. M423

M423 Member

i got this email yesturday as both cars have FSD