Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Drive Software Update Preference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if anyone who didn’t order FSD has this option after getting 2019.16.2
It seemed like everyone got the option

Everyone gets the setting. Tesla claims if you are on the FSD list, the setting puts you even more ahead in line than others using the same setting(basically that the system uses both that setting and the fact that you ordered with FSD to decide when to give you updates).

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
I got it the other day. It appears some of you really need to read the letter multiple times. Took me a couple times because I made some assumptions before reading. But I think it is pretty clear what they mean.

Those of that got EAP/FSD will get the future version that includes FSD Features will be first to get it. Not that complicated. But I will believe it when it happens.

Now that they’ve taken away the uniqueness of the Priority Software referral, just invite the people in both groups (FSD and Priority Software Access) to the Early Access Program. What would that be? A couple hundred people? How many could possibly have had early FSD and 4+ referrals?

What of the people who got 4 referrals, were already part of EAP, and also bought FSD prepaid? Should they get the previous referral prize, the promise of a powerwall someday? Hahaha.

So far it appears to be a placebo.

We purchased FSD on our S and X. Both have "Advanced" set for software updates.

And before taking the X in for service last week, both were on 16.2.

While in Service, Tesla updated our X to 16.3.2 and our S is still on 16.2.

Because Tesla still uses a seemingly random order for distributing software updates, it may be difficult to tell if the Advanced setting is doing anything...

So far it appears to be a placebo.

We purchased FSD on our S and X. Both have "Advanced" set for software updates.

And before taking the X in for service last week, both were on 16.2.

While in Service, Tesla updated our X to 16.3.2 and our S is still on 16.2.

Because Tesla still uses a seemingly random order for distributing software updates, it may be difficult to tell if the Advanced setting is doing anything...
It definitly works. Previously I got an update roughly every 1-2 months.

I got 16.2, 16.3 and 16.3.2 all within 10 days immediate after each release. 20.1 took 4 days after it showed up on TeslaFi, indicating they still use waves to minimize risk, although you get to be on one of the first waves.

100D AP2.5 Norway. Connected to Wifi every day. Strong signal with 20 mbit bandwidth, accesspoint mounted right next to the car's right side.

It definitly works. Previously I got an update roughly every 1-2 months.

I got 16.2, 16.3 and 16.3.2 all within 10 days immediate after each release. 20.1 took 4 days after it showed up on TeslaFi, indicating they still use waves to minimize risk, although you get to be on one of the first waves.

100D AP2.5 Norway. Connected to Wifi every day. Strong signal with 20 mbit bandwidth, accesspoint mounted right next to the car's right side.

Mine has an access point(on a mesh network blanketing the house) also right by the car’s right side on a 1gigabit connection. Car set to advanced, S 75 AP2.0 ordered with FSD, still stuck on 16.2.

Mine has an access point(on a mesh network blanketing the house) also right by the car’s right side on a 1gigabit connection. Car set to advanced, S 75 AP2.0 ordered with FSD, still stuck on 16.2.
I think us AP2.0 owners are not being included in the general roll out of this build for some reason. Seems to be going primarily to AP2.5 cars. I think those AP2.0 cars that do have it are a result of SvC visits maybe.

Our S is AP 2.0 and our X is AP 2.5 - both are on WiFi with an access point in the room adjacent to the garage, with a 400 Mb/s internet connection.

Except for the update the X received at the Service Center - have not seen anything at the house since we changed updates to Advanced.

We did receive the e-mail a few days ago indicating Advanced should provide us earlier access to software updates.

May be too early to tell - these things usually take longer than Musk wants to implement...

Alright, I have had Advanced turned on for a few weeks now and it appears to be working for me. I have gotten more software updates in the last few weeks than I have in several months. Seems like I am getting updates every few days now.

I just got the beach racing whatever game update today. I am an early FSD buyer for the record.

Reactions: StefanSarzio
Alright, I have had Advanced turned on for a few weeks now and it appears to be working for me. I have gotten more software updates in the last few weeks than I have in several months. Seems like I am getting updates every few days now.

I just got the beach racing whatever game update today. I am an early FSD buyer for the record.

This still doesn't appear to be working for me. I've had advanced turned on since day one. I'm early FSD and earned the "Priority Software Access" but neither of my cars has received 20.4.2 yet. Ironically, the very friends who I referred (who live nearby with similar builds) have received it. I'm on strong high-speed Wi-Fi (400mbps) and work from home, so it's connected more than average.

It's frustrating to me because I had intended to document new firmware changes on video so I worked overtime trying to earn the referrals last year. I know it's not a big deal to a lot of people, but it's what was promised twice (first for referrals and then for being an early FSD owner). I absolutely love the cars, but I really wish they'd get this worked out.

Reactions: StefanSarzio
Anyone continually get software updates taken away? I’m currently on 2019.16.2 (AP 2.5/MCU 1) with the “advanced” sugar pill turned on.

On Friday June 21st my car finally showed an update available. Then it went away. Then it came back Saturday. Then it went away. This morning, “update available - connect to WiFi.” This evening, for the first time I could connect to WiFi “Your car software is up to date (at 2019.16.2).”

Side note: I live in a condo and park two floors underground, so there is no cellular of WiFi available. Generally I have to update software at work.

This still doesn't appear to be working for me. I've had advanced turned on since day one. I'm early FSD and earned the "Priority Software Access" but neither of my cars has received 20.4.2 yet. Ironically, the very friends who I referred (who live nearby with similar builds) have received it. I'm on strong high-speed Wi-Fi (400mbps) and work from home, so it's connected more than average.

It's frustrating to me because I had intended to document new firmware changes on video so I worked overtime trying to earn the referrals last year. I know it's not a big deal to a lot of people, but it's what was promised twice (first for referrals and then for being an early FSD owner). I absolutely love the cars, but I really wish they'd get this worked out.

(1) Even though you are on EAP, you may not get every single EAP version because EAP versions may be specific to certain option codes, and even more granular, certain revision of part numbers that make up the option codes.

(2) 20.4.2 is not an EAP version, but a GA version for those with MCU/2. I think the latest EAP version is 20.2.5.

(3) I'm sure those on EAP with the right options codes will be testing our the latest revision of Smart Summons may get a newer version of the EAP version.

Also some EAP version require you not to disclose what you are testing, so "intended to document new firmware changes on video" may actually get you kicked out of the EAP Program, but not in all cases. Take a look at the document you signed (the link that you clicked on in the EAP email where you accepted the T&C) to see what they say. Others are recording EAP version on YouTube, but we really don't know how many of them may have actually be removed from the EAP Program.

(1) Even though you are on EAP, you may not get every single EAP version because EAP versions may be specific to certain option codes, and even more granular, certain revision of part numbers that make up the option codes.

(2) 20.4.2 is not an EAP version, but a GA version for those with MCU/2. I think the latest EAP version is 20.2.5.

(3) I'm sure those on EAP with the right options codes will be testing our the latest revision of Smart Summons may get a newer version of the EAP version.

Also some EAP version require you not to disclose what you are testing, so "intended to document new firmware changes on video" may actually get you kicked out of the EAP Program, but not in all cases. Take a look at the document you signed (the link that you clicked on in the EAP email where you accepted the T&C) to see what they say. Others are recording EAP version on YouTube, but we really don't know how many of them may have actually be removed from the EAP Program.

I believe you're mistaking "Early Access Program" with "Priority Software Access" which was a referral reward that was supposed to provide the earliest public release. (It was valued higher than a set of rims and tires.) I'm not in the Early Access Program. Originally, early FSD owners were told they'd be invited, but this appears to have been changed to another version of "Priority Software Access" (through the "Advanced" setting and, presumably, a switch on their end).

I'm just adding data points that someone with two different promised versions of "priority access" doesn't appear to be receiving priority firmware on two different Model 3s, while some of my referrals are. Based on firmware trackers, 20.14.2 seems to be a pretty wide release for the Model 3.

I'm on strong high-speed Wi-Fi (400mbps) and work from home, so it's connected more than average.

I work from home often (but still go into the office 1-3 days/week), and I notice if I don't use the car for a day or two it tends to go into a "deep sleep", and sometimes won't respond to the app, or will take much longer to "wake up". If I go to the car and open the door, the app responds quickly again. Anecdotally, I've noticed I get far fewer updates when my car is stationary for over a day or two than when it's more often taken out. Perhaps the update agent times out and doesn't retry? Obviously this is all conjecture, but it is something I've noticed and tried to find a reasoning for, that matches your experience as well.

More likely that it's down to option codes and production dates, though.