Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Drive Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the $7K upgrade on 5/21/20 at 12:30pm. The Navigate on Autopilot and Summons features came on the screen within an hour, but as of right now, 12:30am 5/23/20, I still do not see Traffic Light and Stop Sign. Do I need to wait a few days, or call Tesla?

I've also got a M3 v2.5 hardware and am on 2020.12.11.1. this upgrade brought the traffic cone visualization which honestly is a little goofy (it sees everything as a cone), but I have not traffic light or stop sign notification. It's sitting in my upgrades for a paltry 4k. If I opt for that, does that come with a hardware/compute upgrade?

I've also got a M3 v2.5 hardware and am on 2020.12.11.1. this upgrade brought the traffic cone visualization which honestly is a little goofy (it sees everything as a cone), but I have not traffic light or stop sign notification. It's sitting in my upgrades for a paltry 4k. If I opt for that, does that come with a hardware/compute upgrade?

The visualization is great. With HW3 it will still see most things as a cone, and everything else will display as trash cans.

Anyone know if there is a document that defines the terms of the upgrade package? Big questions are: does it follow me or the car? So if I sold, but then bought another Tesla, where does the FSD go? Maybe even more important, what's the end of the line? Can Elon charge us again next year for FSD 2.0 which is "even better?" IOW, any future protection in here. I paid 5k I believe for the original upgrade package which was early summon, AP, NOA, and the dealer told me "you have everything and you're set into the future..." Would be nice not to have to pay a 3rd time!

Anyone know if there is a document that defines the terms of the upgrade package? Big questions are: does it follow me or the car? So if I sold, but then bought another Tesla, where does the FSD go? Maybe even more important, what's the end of the line? Can Elon charge us again next year for FSD 2.0 which is "even better?" IOW, any future protection in here. I paid 5k I believe for the original upgrade package which was early summon, AP, NOA, and the dealer told me "you have everything and you're set into the future..." Would be nice not to have to pay a 3rd time!

FSD does not follow you, it stays with the car. There is no such thing at all (ever) as "future proofing" ANYTHING that has to do with technology. Maybe tesla changes where fsd goes, but for now, it stays with the car, and can be removed by tesla if the car is traded into them.

I always laugh anytime anyone starts talking about "future proofing / future protections" on anything that has to do with technology purchases. All you can do is "delay" wanting or needing to upgrade, and the way you do that is to buy the "best / most expensive" version of whatever that technology thing is right now. Doing that usually puts off a bit being behind the curve technology wise, but there is absolutely ZERO way to "future proof" anything.

Whoa dude chill. It was largely an expression, I "get" technology is tough to do that with, particularly with hardware. But FYI, this is just incorrect:

There is no such thing at all (ever) as "future proofing" ANYTHING that has to do with technology.

In software development there are different ways to implement features; a short term rush job that leaves you exposed moving forward, and a longer term more comprehensive way in which you (and your company) are future proofed; meaning, whatever your client base wants they will be able to configure the new feature to their liking. Ergo, you've pleased all your clients despite their needs. Moving forward, on this front, you are "future proofed."

• Disagree
Reactions: ForeverEv
Whoa dude chill. It was largely an expression, I "get" technology is tough to do that with, particularly with hardware. But FYI, this is just incorrect:

In software development there are different ways to implement features; a short term rush job that leaves you exposed moving forward, and a longer term more comprehensive way in which you (and your company) are future proofed; meaning, whatever your client base wants they will be able to configure the new feature to their liking. Ergo, you've pleased all your clients despite their needs. Moving forward, on this front, you are "future proofed."

The car is not software, it is a hardware platform running software. As technology moves forward, the hardware platform will become outdated, and eventually, obsolete... but you know that already.

I also dont quite get the "chill dude" comment. Somehow, I sound "upset" because I think the statement "future proof" is not applicable to technology?

Sure, software can be upgraded ( and is being so on the model 3), but no software is any more future proof than the hardware platform its running on can support. Some things can last a while (some of the instruments at my job still run windows XP for example... and they still work... but the manufacturer doesnt support them on that version any longer so they need to be upgraded).

If you think that something can be "future proofed" then we will just have to agree to disagree, and thats fine.. this is the internet after all. I still believe that "future proofing" is a salespersons term (and I used to sell technology a 15-20 years ago before I swapped sides of the business).

Last edited:

so...what did you actually buy... and when?

Because what your "terms" are depends on the answers to those questions.

(though all of them stay with the car- just like an OEM Windows preload license from a major PC manufacturer)

Reactions: jjrandorin
so...what did you actually buy... and when?

Because what your "terms" are depends on the answers to those questions.

(though all of them stay with the car- just like an OEM Windows preload license from a major PC manufacturer)
OK that helps for starters, I thought I saw something about it being transferable. Anyway I paid 5k for EAP at time of purchase. So when 10.0 came out I really got (from what I could tell) everything, ie, smart summon, I've had NOA (which I think is great) the whole time, autopark, etc. So to plunk out another 4k now for the difference between this package and what's available now seems really steep. :(