Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Drive Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK that helps for starters, I thought I saw something about it being transferable. Anyway I paid 5k for EAP at time of purchase. So when 10.0 came out I really got (from what I could tell) everything, ie, smart summon, I've had NOA (which I think is great) the whole time, autopark, etc. So to plunk out another 4k now for the difference between this package and what's available now seems really steep. :(

Ok yeah that helps.

So nothing transfers, it stays with the car.

EAP (no longer offered since Feb 2019) contains all the same features "old" FSD did up until about a month ago.

(the new FSD is basically most of what was in EAP, plus anything new after that)

The first FSD-only feature is stoplight and stop sign reaction, released a few weeks ago now.

So that's all you'd get functionality wise.

You'd also get a free upgrade to the HW3 FSD computer, which would also give you additional visualizations on your screen while driving.

And you'd, eventually, maybe, get "autosteer on city streets" as the only remaining promised future FSD feature.

POSSIBLY you'll get more than that down the road, but that's the only not-yet-released thing actually promised during FSD purchase.

Reactions: GZDongles
POSSIBLY you'll get more than that down the road, but that's the only not-yet-released thing actually promised during FSD purchase.
Thanks, and yeah, that's my concern. That this time next year when they finally perfect stop signs/red lights, there will be another feature set that will be another 4k, and the bar will keep moving. Feels a bit like you have a price, but not a definite end product. Elon oughta come out with a fixed price that is guaranteed to get you to full FSD (realize that could be debatable) - but at least at that point you know that you're guaranteed of getting to a reasonable end point.

Thanks, and yeah, that's my concern. That this time next year when they finally perfect stop signs/red lights, there will be another feature set that will be another 4k, and the bar will keep moving. Feels a bit like you have a price, but not a definite end product. Elon oughta come out with a fixed price that is guaranteed to get you to full FSD (realize that could be debatable) - but at least at that point you know that you're guaranteed of getting to a reasonable end point.

They did... it was $3000 on top of the 5k for EAP from Oct 2016 through Feb 2019. It promised a feature set that was at minimum level 4 self driving.

If you'd bought that when you bought EAP you'd have been buyign a promise of at least level 4 self driving.

It was March 2019 they switched their offerings from that to basic AP (originally for 3k, and then rolled into the price of the car with a 2k price bump) and then 'all the other stuff that used to be in EAP, plus 2 new specific future features (stop lights/signs and city driving)' in FSD for what is now $7000 and about to go up to $8000

It's the fact they made that change- in particular how much they narrowed what they promise for FSD compared to before- that leaves a lot of folks concerned they're not nearly as sure as they used to be they can really get there.

They did... it was $3000 on top of the 5k for EAP from Oct 2016 through Feb 2019. It promised a feature set that was at minimum level 4 self driving.

If you'd bought that when you bought EAP you'd have been buyign a promise of at least level 4 self driving.

So technically, what level of self driving are we at now with the latest FSD features? Something slightly above level 2?

So technically, what level of self driving are we at now with the latest FSD features? Something slightly above level 2?

There is no slightly above level. It is still level 2 and what you are getting are just more assistance feature. Until regulators allow, and Tesla states it is ready, for the cars to drive with driver hands off. Level 3 is kind of a weird limbo place because it requires the establishment of an ideal criteria set that would allow for hands off. That is why most seem to think the goal is just to aim for level 4 which is pre-programmed route driving essentially.

My concern isn't that Tesla won't get there, but will I still have the car at that point. That is greatly dependent on regulators allowing. Now in Florida we do allow autonomous vehicles so there is that.

There is no slightly above level. It is still level 2 and what you are getting are just more assistance feature. Until regulators allow, and Tesla states it is ready, for the cars to drive with driver hands off. Level 3 is kind of a weird limbo place because it requires the establishment of an ideal criteria set that would allow for hands off. That is why most seem to think the goal is just to aim for level 4 which is pre-programmed route driving essentially.

My concern isn't that Tesla won't get there, but will I still have the car at that point. That is greatly dependent on regulators allowing. Now in Florida we do allow autonomous vehicles so there is that.

I just bought my Deep Blue 2018 Model 3 Performance - was owned by a guy in Florida, nonetheless. I've been driving it for about a week or so (coming from a 2017 Chevy Volt) and I don't know what I would replace it with after 5 years (I say this now). Its an absolute monster and so glad I took the plunge to 100% electric (my wife has a 2017 Bolt).

I see myself upgrading to FSD for the $4k next month (I have EAP). I would love to have this car for a longtime and embrace the tech... truly believe in what Tesla is about and the car/FSD option is kinda a moral purchase for myself, as well as convenience.

Everything promised for the version of FSD being sold since March 2019 is only "promised" at L2, though they'd certainly love to offer it at higher levels (and have stated, in non-legally-binding forward looking statements that they hope and intended to do that).

So basically if they CAN get you better, they intend to- but unlike the pre-3/19 product you probably aren't entitled to any refund if they aren't able to get above L2.

Really quick (and rough) explanation of the level cutoffs-

L2- driver is ALWAYS responsible for the driving task no matter how much car is helping- driver is always required to actively be paying attention and prepared to take full control at all times. (there's no actual "hands on" requirement here- Caddy has a hands-off L2 system- The hands on wheel is simply the method Tesla uses to 'check' that driver is paying attention)

L3- In some, specific, circumstances the CAR is responsible for the driving task- driver is NOT required to be actively paying attention (ie you could be reading a book or something)- but driver IS expected to be awake/available to take over with some notice (say 30 or 60 seconds or something) if the car realizes it's leaving its operational domain.

L4- In MANY circumstances CAR is responsible for driving task- driver is NOT required to be actively paying attention- driver is NOT required to be available to take over. If car realizes it's leaving its operational domain it's capable of safely pulling over/parking/whatever on its own.

L5 In ALL circumstances CAR is responsible for driving tasks.

• Informative
Reactions: GZDongles
I just bought my Deep Blue 2018 Model 3 Performance - was owned by a guy in Florida, nonetheless. I've been driving it for about a week or so (coming from a 2017 Chevy Volt) and I don't know what I would replace it with after 5 years (I say this now). Its an absolute monster and so glad I took the plunge to 100% electric (my wife has a 2017 Bolt).

I see myself upgrading to FSD for the $4k next month (I have EAP). I would love to have this car for a longtime and embrace the tech... truly believe in what Tesla is about and the car/FSD option is kinda a moral purchase for myself, as well as convenience.

I rotate through cars but we will likely keep this for a number of years (5, maybe a few more), but I still think regulatory approval will take a while. I've looked at the Taycan and am always looking to see what is new. At some point I might want a Y or a Roadster or an S again so that is why I say I probably will replace it. Next is another Mini for my wife, then probably add another spots car or replace my track car, then comes the Tesla probably.