Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving & Backroads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to this group and a 1 week old Tesla Y owner. My question / concern is with the Full Self Driving and narrow roads. Apparently, it will quickly disengage on curves when driving more than 30 mph. Specific example is the 55 mph California Highway 25 from Hollister to Pinnacles NP and beyond. Most of the curves have signs to indicate the speed. ranging from 50 to 30 mph. Apparently, it tries to take all curves at 55 mph or 50 mph (I set the max to that speed on this road). Additionally, it appears not to recognize the changing speed signs. Anybody else have this issues..or, at least understand this as an issue?

I am new to this group and a 1 week old Tesla Y owner. My question / concern is with the Full Self Driving and narrow roads. Apparently, it will quickly disengage on curves when driving more than 30 mph. Specific example is the 55 mph California Highway 25 from Hollister to Pinnacles NP and beyond. Most of the curves have signs to indicate the speed. ranging from 50 to 30 mph. Apparently, it tries to take all curves at 55 mph or 50 mph (I set the max to that speed on this road). Additionally, it appears not to recognize the changing speed signs. Anybody else have this issues..or, at least understand this as an issue?

Curvy roads are not super fun on the factory version of Autopilot/ FSD. I usually just drive the curves and switch back to Autopilot when the road gets straighter.

I believe the Beta is a lot better at this, but until that gets to wider release just drive the curves.

My Model Y 2021 will slow the car for tight turns. Example: I was on cruise control but not auto steer doing 80 kmph (50 mph). I approached a tight turn marked with warning sign saying 50 kmph (30 mph). I kept my feet off the pedals and went to the turn. The car calculated that the curve was too sharp for my speed and slowed the car to a slower speed (not down to 50kmph). The car NEEDS to be able to do this if it is going to drive without human help.

Curvy roads are not super fun on the factory version of Autopilot/ FSD. I usually just drive the curves and switch back to Autopilot when the road gets straighter.

I believe the Beta is a lot better at this, but until that gets to wider release just drive the curves.
I have the beta. I am now driving backroads, narrow lanes (10 ft or less), myself now. Just wish that FSD would read curve speed signs and obey them.

Reactions: Z_Lynx and DrGriz
It's the nature of "beta" and I just learn to memorize which curves the system can take and which curves I should drive manually. It got better with subsequent updates as more curves are dealt with but I would not raise my hope that the system would deal with all curves any time soon.
I have the beta. I am now driving backroads, narrow lanes (10 ft or less), myself now. Just wish that FSD would read curve speed signs and obey them.

...Just wish that FSD would read curve speed signs and obey them...
I don't know exactly how Tesla's system works but I assume someone or something has to work on the curve speed signs in order to solve that particular issue.

If that issue is not prioritized to be fixed first, we'll just have to wait until it'll be its turn.

I don't know exactly how Tesla's system works but I assume someone or something has to work on the curve speed signs in order to solve that particular issue.

If that issue is not prioritized to be fixed first, we'll just have to wait until it'll be its turn.
Doesn't have to read curve signs. The cameras "read" the road. Notice how sharp it is, and slow the car when needed. That technology is in place now.

...That technology is in place now...

There's no denying that collision avoidance technology has been available for years. Waymo was able to let a blind person ride on its driverless Prius in 2012 or a decade ago.

Waymo opened the option of driverless rides to the public in Chander, AZ in October 2020.

Tesla should beat competitors with all the advantages: A vast amount of quantity of data such as GPS, video, telemetry, AI learning, Dojo, Tesla Vision, no more confusion with sensor fusions...

Thus, the curvy road problem should not be a problem for Tesla either. Yet: Now there's a lawsuit for a curvy highway exit ramp accident,

Doesn't have to read curve signs. The cameras "read" the road. Notice how sharp it is, and slow the car when needed. That technology is in place now.
What should be and what is are two different...! My particular example is a 55 mph highway which there is a center line and frequently no side whited line. White line has "cracked off" the road. The Tesla Y does not predict country road curves very well without both a center line and the side white lines. There was another thread that sort of address this issue. It concerned driving on a 3 lane highway recently re paved and only had temporary lane marker (flappy square flags). But, back to the real issue...reading curve speed signs would definitely help predictability of traveling curves safely without driver intervention.

What should be and what is are two different...! My particular example is a 55 mph highway which there is a center line and frequently no side whited line. White line has "cracked off" the road. The Tesla Y does not predict country road curves very well without both a center line and the side white lines. There was another thread that sort of address this issue. It concerned driving on a 3 lane highway recently re paved and only had temporary lane marker (flappy square flags). But, back to the real issue...reading curve speed signs would definitely help predictability of traveling curves safely without driver intervention.
A program to read curve signs and choose a speed based on them could be dangerous. Miss one sign and not make the curve. Or a missing sign and you don't make the curve. I think Tesla software people are smart enough to avoid the "curve reading" and use the cameras to read the curvature of the road.

Jim R.: I understand what you are saying and the basic reasoning. Now twice, I have had MY not read the curve and twice bushes on the side of the road have "touched" the car. Additionally, (actually more than twice) the FSD has "demanded" me to take over, usually too late to properly react, Maybe, if Tesla could "read" the upcoming curve and read the "curve speeds" and in combination. As far as "missing a sign", that could happen with regular speed signs as well (signs stolen, fallen over, hit by other drivers, etc.).

Jim R.: I understand what you are saying and the basic reasoning. Now twice, I have had MY not read the curve and twice bushes on the side of the road have "touched" the car. Additionally, (actually more than twice) the FSD has "demanded" me to take over, usually too late to properly react, Maybe, if Tesla could "read" the upcoming curve and read the "curve speeds" and in combination. As far as "missing a sign", that could happen with regular speed signs as well (signs stolen, fallen over, hit by other drivers, etc.).
Your hands are on the wheel. What’s “to late to properly react?”

Your hands are on the wheel. What’s “to late to properly react?”
The present system is in Beta. So it didn't work to your satisfaction. I get that. BUT, if it relies on curve signs (that may go missing or maybe not be read - covered with snow for example) the software will never be ready to exit Beta. It has to read the curvature of the road to be successful.

The present system is in Beta. So it didn't work to your satisfaction. I get that. BUT, if it relies on curve signs (that may go missing or maybe not be read - covered with snow for example) the software will never be ready to exit Beta. It has to read the curvature of the road to be successful.
Update: After more time "testing" and driving it more, the roads which causes the issue is on roads where the road has a higher speed (55 mph or the like) AND the curve is not "clearly" seen because it is..1) curve speed is low (30 mph or the like), and 2) there us subbery right up to the edge, frequently covering the white edge line...if present, especially if shuibery is on both sides. This is typical for backroads or upcountry roads, especially narrow ones.
A workaround: I see the speed sign for the curve and manually, reduce the "MAX Speed" (use the right steering wheel rolling button) appropriately. The FSD Autosteer does significantly better. Another workaround has been previously stated...don't use FSD, Autosteer, Autopilot, etc. and drive manually.