Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full self driving beta queue 13 days? Should I Reset?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How exactly do you know if you have been accepted? I bought a new MX Plaid with full FSD. I tried to turn it on and it says I'm in the queue. 94 SS with a substantial portion of that on autopilot. (Biggest negative was following distance. I'm set at 5. Should I increase that? Seems like when I do, there is such a gap people start passing and pulling back in ahead of me.)

What happens if I take it to the track and try a couple of drag races? Is that going to knock me out of getting the FSD Beta?

How exactly do you know if you have been accepted? I bought a new MX Plaid with full FSD. I tried to turn it on and it says I'm in the queue. 94 SS with a substantial portion of that on autopilot. (Biggest negative was following distance. I'm set at 5. Should I increase that? Seems like when I do, there is such a gap people start passing and pulling back in ahead of me.)

What happens if I take it to the track and try a couple of drag races? Is that going to knock me out of getting the FSD Beta?
You'll get a software update on your car just like the others you may have received. You'll then notice the safety score disappears from your app (unless you have Tesla Insurance). When you get into your car after the update it will welcome you to FSD Beta and give you some information about it. You'll then see "FSD Beta" toggle switch in the Autopilot settings screen. When you switch it on, you'll get some legal acknowledgements you'll have to agree to.

While you are in the Safety Score process, it's best to adjust your driving habits if you want an invite into the FSD Beta program early. I would avoid drag races. :) The goal is to prepare you for driving on FSD Beta, which can be a stressful experience and requires safe driving habits and constant vigilance. You got a really fun car to drive, so if you're serious about being a beta tester and and want to help the program, you'll not be driving your car the way you are now.

As for settings - I recommend setting to maximum following distance (7) and set AEB to middle, which the Safety Score will use no matter what you set it to. Try to use Autopilot as much as you can on freeways/highways. Get used to running the car on AP, it'll help you prepare for FSD Beta.

Reactions: gjunky
How exactly do you know if you have been accepted?
I think the answer to that has varied over time. Lots of folks here mention having gotten e-mail, for example, but I got none.

I got my model Y about three months ago with paid-for FSD, and found and clicked the button to request beta within days. When I finally got into Beta a couple of weeks ago, I got an app message alerting me to an available software update, and requesting my permission to take up to a half hour to install. This had happened before, and did not mean Beta.

But after the install several things were clearly different:
1. Right when I got in the car, there was a screenful of legalese with a big red picture above it, giving terms, conditions, and warnings about Beta participation. I'd not seen that before.
2. Right away, just when progressing down my driveway and local streets, the left-screen looked different.
a. The road edges now had a broad red line.
b. The screen displayed lots more other vehicles
c. The images for other vehicles were more detailed and more varied.
3. I'd see the grey Tesla Logo indicating that higher automation is available if you want it on secondary, very minor streets, where before it only showed up on the Interstate.
4. If I actually double-clicked and engaged FSD on a secondary road, it would steer, stop, start, etc. in a distinctively herky-jerky style quite unlike steering and throttle I had experienced on freeways running under Navigate-on-Autopilot.

In sum, trust me, you'll know.

Reactions: jiehan and gjunky
Thanks for the info. I've been driving my Sig MX for years so I'm familiar with the standard autopilot but being one of the first MXs made, it was not capable of FSD so that is new to me. Trying to do the right thing so that I get the software.

I think the answer to that has varied over time. Lots of folks here mention having gotten e-mail, for example, but I got none.

I got my model Y about three months ago with paid-for FSD, and found and clicked the button to request beta within days. When I finally got into Beta a couple of weeks ago, I got an app message alerting me to an available software update, and requesting my permission to take up to a half hour to install. This had happened before, and did not mean Beta.

But after the install several things were clearly different:
1. Right when I got in the car, there was a screenful of legalese with a big red picture above it, giving terms, conditions, and warnings about Beta participation. I'd not seen that before.
2. Right away, just when progressing down my driveway and local streets, the left-screen looked different.
a. The road edges now had a broad red line.
b. The screen displayed lots more other vehicles
c. The images for other vehicles were more detailed and more varied.
3. I'd see the grey Tesla Logo indicating that higher automation is available if you want it on secondary, very minor streets, where before it only showed up on the Interstate.
4. If I actually double-clicked and engaged FSD on a secondary road, it would steer, stop, start, etc. in a distinctively herky-jerky style quite unlike steering and throttle I had experienced on freeways running under Navigate-on-Autopilot.

In sum, trust me, you'll know.
^^^^ This. You will get messages in the car and your driver score will disappear from the App (not sure if that happens at the same time). I had the same happen in our Model 3.
Now 8 days and 350 miles in on our new X but no messages yet. Score of 98.
I've been driving in Chill Mode which I will happily change back once I am excepted.

^^^^ This. You will get messages in the car and your driver score will disappear from the App (not sure if that happens at the same time). I had the same happen in our Model 3.
Now 8 days and 350 miles in on our new X but no messages yet. Score of 98.
I've been driving in Chill Mode which I will happily change back once I am excepted.
Does this mean that users are still being added? I got the FSD beta the day I got 100 back in November. But I was really shocked to find out that when I turned in my leased model 3 and bought a new model 3, that I didn't have the FSD beta that I had in my leased Model 3. I was really annoyed that I had to go through this Safety Score again. But I am at 100 for about 2 months now and still waiting. It would be great if after so long of having a passing score the safety score goes away, and you can drive "normal" but still be in the queue. But I guess you could sell the car at that point and the new owner would get the FSD beta and they may not be such a good driver as you were.

Tesla only invites more people into the Beta program in batches. The first big batch was in Nov/Dec 2021. That took the Beta population to 60K. Then again in April 2022, taking them to 100K testers (40K more).

It's a guessing game when they will add more. Right now there is significant pressure from regulators and investigations ongoing. We may stick at 100K for awhile. No one knows.