Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self-Driving (Beta) toggle is now in wide release as production vehicle software including MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD Beta release notes used to be titled "Early Access Program | FSD Beta" but now that's gone:

10-69-25-1-no-more-early-access-jpg.890830

Additionally the strikes system for improper usage now results in a suspension of "approximately two weeks." The number of strikes allowed is five or three depending on availability of the interior camera.

People who haven't even opted in to FSD Beta with the request button are getting the same software version 2022.44.30.5 which was previously only available to those accepted to FSD Beta:

This version also introduces a tip / message to turn on Full Self-Driving if the driver profile has not turned it on to help increase discoverability of the new feature now that it's available without early access terms.

Additionally, MCU1 vehicles are getting 2022.8.10.10 as FSD Beta 10.69.3.3 also as regular production vehicle software and not "Early Access Program." Most of the FSD Beta visualizations show up in the instrument cluster albeit at lower framerate than vehicles with MCU2+.

Last edited:
How long before we see all the "I was wrong" posts from people
Well, various people have higher expectations than this current milestone of FSD Beta going to vehicles even without first requesting FSD Beta such as better quality and comfort or even wider deployment closer to a million vehicles or more capabilities like single stack highway driving and actually smart summon for parking lots. Or more broadly, FSD is still driver assistance and not robotaxi.

Even looking at this achievement of Tesla believing / knowing FSD Beta is safe enough to deploy to hundreds of thousands of vehicles, some will point out that it's not actually safer. Hopefully Tesla will provide some safety metrics to help everybody appreciate this accomplishment that has taken over 2 years of public beta testing and even more internal development.

Interesting to see "not interested in FSD Beta early access" type comments such as 2022.44.30.5 as it's quite different from my extra effort to get in the first batch of 100 Safety Score.

For some people, they didn't want to go through Safety Score evaluation and more generally testing "early" software even though FSD Capability was purchased. Others were more concerned about the increased nagging to pay attention that FSD Beta has required.

Even more broadly, there's probably people who have purchased and didn't even know FSD Beta was even requestable. So making this software available with a proactive tip asking the driver to try it out should help increase awareness and usage.

If the "laggard" portion of technology adoption life cycle can be applied here, around 20% of vehicles could be part of this group newly getting this wide release.

Reactions: Dewg
How long before we see all the "I was wrong" posts from people who claimed it was years away or will never happen, or would never happen before years end?
There were some polls indicating by the end of the year…and remaining so…so the people who voted No on that poll were correct, at least. That did not happen since some had struck out. (And also software rollout was incomplete.)

I will say I am surprised that FSDb has ended up as “safe” as it appears to be so far. I expected more issues with the rollout preventing wider release so soon.

But to me the above description in the OP’s post would qualify as “wide release” (when it actually goes to everyone of course).

It’s not a very good product at the moment, and that is unfortunate. Hopefully it remains safe though. I think they have a lot higher risk now. Cross fingers and hope monitoring system is robust.

Reactions: pilotSteve and Dewg
At last we can stop talking about safety scores and strike resets
Haha yeah. There has been plenty of confusion and complaints about Safety Score calculations and eligibility that we shouldn't need to worry about anymore. Although for strike resets, it's still a bit unclear how Tesla will handle "unavailable for approximately two weeks" as maybe it will require a software update similar to the previous "Feature will be restored with an upcoming software release." I suppose it might not be long until someone reports on running out of strikes.

More generally, we also don't quite know how software updates will be handled going forwards from wide release. Presumably for most of us that have been part of the Safety Score group, we'll be getting regular production vehicle software updates around the same time as the rest of the fleet getting non-FSD improvements. But how will that affect the rate of FSD improvements to the now much wider FSD fleet that might not be as interested in testing out new FSD Beta release note changes?

qualify as “wide release” (when it actually goes to everyone of course)
So far looking at TeslaFi numbers, most updates are still from existing 10.69.25 vehicles, but there's about 250 newly added vehicles to FSD Beta with this wide release. This represents about a 5% increase from the previous TeslaFi FSD Beta fleet of 5.2k similar to the percentage increase when vehicles requesting FSD Beta from 2022.40.x could finally get it.

It's probably harder to tell from TeslaFi data when it goes to "everyone" (who has FSD Capability purchased/subscribed) as more of this population weren't interested in being early access testers and maybe not as interested in using 3rd-party services either.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Looks like those from before Safety Score FSD Beta group still are considered "Early Access Program:"

Anybody here that got in with Safety Score (potentially when the requirement was lowered to 0+ score) still have release notes showing that? If so, you probably also still have the video snapshot button?

This seems to indicate Tesla will be releasing the same vehicle software, e.g., 2022.44.30.5, to all groups but specially conditioning some behaviors for Early Access and other flags/configurations.

How long before we see all the "I was wrong" posts from people who claimed it was years away or will never happen, or would never happen before years end?
I don’t know if I’ll apologize per se, but my major beef was the lack of communication from Tesla (and particularly Elon Musk on Twitter) combined with a not-unreasonable belief that early adopters who had supported Tesla financially during very challenging times were being disrespected and ignored.

The communication from Tesla was misleading: as late as November 2022 they were telling people that MCU1 could not get the beta indefinitely and advising upgrades to MCU2; they also suggested that a 2017 FSD purchase on your vehicle didn’t mean you would be allowed to run the beta, even after Tesla rolled out the FSD beta to new purchasers on new vehicles. Musk did very little to clarify earlier comments that all vehicles (a) had the necessary hardware* and (b) had an MCU that didn’t need to be upgraded. [*apart from the FSD3 computer and AP2.5 cameras]

It’s not an unreasonable suggestion that Tesla may have never shipped FSD to MCU1 customers, and by running out the clock they were trying to defer and reduce their financial liability (which would speculatively have been in the high 8- low 9 figure range) and avoid a free MCU upgrade program. Sure, I was wrong on this, in the absence of any concrete information from Tesla.

My personal take now is that this release is the result of a legal case in California (September), combined with various NHTSA investigations, California’s attempts at regulating FSD marketing, and a desire to bank the considerable deferred (50%) revenue from FSD purchases during this fiscal year to boost the quarterly/annual results (hence launch on 31 December).

They had to get the Beta and production levels together before they could introduce V11 Beta
There was probably quite a bit of work on the production vehicle software side such as ensuring FSD Beta compatibility with the holiday update, new vehicles with factory software versions, MCU1 with its displays, and multiple release channels on the same version with different release notes and behaviors. There was probably some future compatibility testing as well to make sure updates continue to work now that it looks like Safety Score group is going away.

Even with all that, Tesla added some new features too that they tested with the initial rollout of 10.69.25.1 such as the new tip to "Try Full Self-Driving (Beta)" with one tap:

try fsd beta.jpg

The communication from Tesla was misleading: as late as November 2022 they were telling people that MCU1 could not get the beta indefinitely
Was this particular communication with Tesla Service? Some experiences people have had with RCCB camera retrofits was surprisingly bad with many delays that then ended up with wrong cameras getting installed multiple times even after explaining to the customer not to trust part numbers from online forums.

The FSD Computer retrofit process used to at least have a timeline showing when people could expect to request the service, but the same page now showing camera replacements has an unsatisfying "We are working through supply constraints, and the invitations will be staggered as supply allows."

Would it have been any better if Tesla more explicitly upfront said MCU1 would not be eligible for early access testing? It could at least have been some indication that Tesla was still intending to get FSD working with MCU1 and might have avoided the miscommunications from Service.

Well, various people have higher expectations than this current milestone of FSD Beta going to vehicles even without first requesting FSD Beta such as better quality and comfort or even wider deployment closer to a million vehicles or more capabilities like single stack highway driving and actually smart summon for parking lots. Or more broadly, FSD is still driver assistance and not robotaxi.
Translation: "When I said FSD will never work and never see light of day and is a joke what I meant is it wouldn't have (insert obscure quasi-important feature here that I just made up to save face)."

FSD Beta release notes used to be titled "Early Access Program | FSD Beta" but now that's gone:

10-69-25-1-no-more-early-access-jpg.890830

Additionally the strikes system for improper usage now results in a suspension of "approximately two weeks." The number of strikes allowed is five or three depending on availability of the interior camera.

People who haven't even opted in to FSD Beta with the request button are getting the same software version 2022.44.30.5 which was previously only available to those accepted to FSD Beta:

This version also introduces a tip / message to turn on Full Self-Driving if the driver profile has not turned it on to help increase discoverability of the new feature now that it's available without early access terms.

Additionally, MCU1 vehicles are getting 2022.8.10.10 as FSD Beta 10.69.3.3 also as regular production vehicle software and not "Early Access Program." Most of the FSD Beta visualizations show up in the instrument cluster albeit at lower framerate than vehicles with MCU2+.

just to point out that they are making the claim that they prediction has come true is based on two cars. While the TeslaFi fleet shows a radically different story. Maybe we are there, maybe we aren't, but it seems way too early to call. Especially when V11 is already in the mix.
It seems possible that 10.69.x could be the default maybe with V11 on different branches - but thats a complete guess, just like Teslascope.
The next few releases will prove it for sure, if its true then every new release will have FSD built in (obviously only enabled for subscribers/owners of FSD)
Love to be proved wrong though :D

Last edited:
Was this particular communication with Tesla Service? Some experiences people have had with RCCB camera retrofits was surprisingly bad with many delays that then ended up with wrong cameras getting installed multiple times even after explaining to the customer not to trust part numbers from online forums.

The FSD Computer retrofit process used to at least have a timeline showing when people could expect to request the service, but the same page now showing camera replacements has an unsatisfying "We are working through supply constraints, and the invitations will be staggered as supply allows."

Would it have been any better if Tesla more explicitly upfront said MCU1 would not be eligible for early access testing? It could at least have been some indication that Tesla was still intending to get FSD working with MCU1 and might have avoided the miscommunications from Service.
Yup, Tesla Service communication combined with MCU1 specific radio silence from Elon (given that Tesla doesn’t really do any other form of communication). The camera retrofits seem to have been handled very poorly compared to the FSD retrofits, at least the early ones (mine was surprisingly easy, and I got the MCU1 eMMC recall/replacement done at the same time).

I think being upfront would have been better than saying nothing, but I suspect they didn’t do this because of potential legal issues. They also haven’t been clear about how long the FSD beta will last (I mean, Autosteer is still in beta!) so that might have been concerning for early adopters too (wait another five years, c’mon!). Even just restating that all Tesla vehicles with FSD purchases will receive FSD beta, including free hardware upgrades as necessary (but beyond FSD computer and RCCB cameras, unlikely to be needed), would have been nice.

But hey, live and learn! Looks like it’s out there now and beyond sorting out hardware upgrades, it’s here to stay.

Translation: "When I said FSD will never work and never see light of day and is a joke what I meant is it wouldn't have (insert obscure quasi-important feature here that I just made up to save face)."
Well… ;) I suppose one thing I thought would arrive with wide release was FSD Beta visualizations available to everyone. So far it still requires the driving functionality to be toggled, and the vehicle software is currently only for those who have purchased FSD Capability instead of those with compatible hardware.

There's probably a lot of cleanup that can happen such as replacing FSD Visualization Preview (which I believe doesn't even appear in the owner's manual) although that requires a bit of work to hook into the FSD Beta neural networks as it's been using neural networks that have been around since 2019's holiday update. Maybe I was actually expecting this as part of single stack?