Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self-Driving Capability In Model S Sold By Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post so please be gentle!

I am looking at purchasing a 2018 Model S 75D from Tesla (I know, I know, the horror stories but….) and it lists the following:

Key Features

1. Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint
  2. 19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
  3. Cream Premium Interior
  4. Full Self-Driving Capability
  5. Smart Air Suspension
  6. Glass Roof
  7. Keyless Entry
  8. Power Liftgate
  9. GPS Enabled Homelink
  10. Oak Décor
  11. Light Headliner
  12. Infotainment Upgrade
  13. 30-Day Premium Connectivity Trial
What I’m curious about is number 4 “Full Self-Driving Capability”……..

Full Self-Driving Capability​

Included

1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon
  5. Full Self-Driving Computer
  6. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

Coming Soon​

1. Autosteer on city streets
The currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. The activation and use of these features are dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

So is this part of the car and not subscription based? I haven’t called Tesla yet because I wanted opinions from the group here so I will understand exactly what I am working with.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and comments.

Sorry I forgot to add will Tesla send actual photos of the car or is it wait to be delivered and then you see the car?
When I purchased (~1 year ago), they would not send actual photos, so basically you have to accept that it may have some number of scratches, etc. Oddly, though, they still seem to be *taking* the photos, and I was able to find the photos on one of the 3rd party sites (can't remember which one).

UPDATE:

Well I was fortunate and drove to Memphis from Nashville on 12/23 to look over the car (2018 Model S CPO car) described above. It was in excellent shape and they had just marked it down on on Wednesday 12/22 to $61,800. I guess those year-end sales can work. ;) They did say that the FSD capability is part of the car and it's not subscription so that's a relief. After driving it and looking at all the information I bought the car and had it delivered to Nashville where I picked it up on 12/31 about 4 pm!

When I was looking at the car I did notice the front tires and back tires were two different manufacturers (Michelin and Goodyear). I also noticed the main screen had the yellow strip around the edges like i've seen in examples from this website. I was helped by a wonderful young lady who truly tried to make sure all my questions were answered and concerns addressed. She said she would put my "asks" in the order, ie. new tires and take care of the yellow strip on the monitor but she said don't hold your breath on the tires being replaced.

Flash forward to 12/31 and when I went to pick up (in the Brentwood location just south of Nashville) my car it actually had four brand new Michelin Primacy tires! That's probably north of $1,200 of rubber. Very surprised by the "goodwill" gesture by Tesla as they didn't have to do that.

The also said they "UV'd" the screen but it still had the strip although I think it was a little lighter. I wasn't going to quibble at that point in time with anyone due to the nice tire gesture. I'll work on that later since I have 1,000 miles or 6 months with the original warranty and the 10,000 mile 12 month extended CPO warranty.

All in all I was very impressed with my first experience with Tesla. Everything being done from the initial sale - financing - pickup through the Tesla app was fun and stress-free. Now if anyone has a strategy about how to get rid of the yellow strip on the screen I would like to know. I want to force them to replace the screen since I don't think the "UV" thing is a long-term solution.

I am coming from a Toyota Avalon Limited Hybrid so I didn't have "plug-in" experience but I did have some battery experience. I had the Tesla Level 2 home charger installed and it's really pretty cool. Enjoy your day!

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
UPDATE:

Well I was fortunate and drove to Memphis from Nashville on 12/23 to look over the car (2018 Model S CPO car) described above. It was in excellent shape and they had just marked it down on on Wednesday 12/22 to $61,800. I guess those year-end sales can work. ;) They did say that the FSD capability is part of the car and it's not subscription so that's a relief. After driving it and looking at all the information I bought the car and had it delivered to Nashville where I picked it up on 12/31 about 4 pm!

When I was looking at the car I did notice the front tires and back tires were two different manufacturers (Michelin and Goodyear). I also noticed the main screen had the yellow strip around the edges like i've seen in examples from this website. I was helped by a wonderful young lady who truly tried to make sure all my questions were answered and concerns addressed. She said she would put my "asks" in the order, ie. new tires and take care of the yellow strip on the monitor but she said don't hold your breath on the tires being replaced.

Flash forward to 12/31 and when I went to pick up (in the Brentwood location just south of Nashville) my car it actually had four brand new Michelin Primacy tires! That's probably north of $1,200 of rubber. Very surprised by the "goodwill" gesture by Tesla as they didn't have to do that.

The also said they "UV'd" the screen but it still had the strip although I think it was a little lighter. I wasn't going to quibble at that point in time with anyone due to the nice tire gesture. I'll work on that later since I have 1,000 miles or 6 months with the original warranty and the 10,000 mile 12 month extended CPO warranty.

All in all I was very impressed with my first experience with Tesla. Everything being done from the initial sale - financing - pickup through the Tesla app was fun and stress-free. Now if anyone has a strategy about how to get rid of the yellow strip on the screen I would like to know. I want to force them to replace the screen since I don't think the "UV" thing is a long-term solution.

I am coming from a Toyota Avalon Limited Hybrid so I didn't have "plug-in" experience but I did have some battery experience. I had the Tesla Level 2 home charger installed and it's really pretty cool. Enjoy your day!
Congrats! Glad you had a good experience. I had great success with the UV treatment on my 2018. So perhaps you can give that another go after some time passes. Tesla has declared this is wear & tear, and typically will not replace the entire screen (YMMV). Also, I suggest you try the map in satellite view which typically makes the yellow band less visible.

It has MCU 2 since it has full self driving capability. Ironically the car, when I test drove it, had FM radio (didn’t check for XM) but it’s gone now. I stream my XM app through the infotainment and it’s not bad. I just wish I could control the app from the screen. I have spent a lot on the car so far and I’m not sure if I want to spend an additional $500 on the upgrade to get FM and XM.

It has MCU 2 since it has full self driving capability. Ironically the car, when I test drove it, had FM radio (didn’t check for XM) but it’s gone now. I stream my XM app through the infotainment and it’s not bad. I just wish I could control the app from the screen. I have spent a lot on the car so far and I’m not sure if I want to spend an additional $500 on the upgrade to get FM and XM.
Having MCU 2 and having FSD capability are not necessarily linked (unless you mean FSD beta). I wonder if this car originally had MCU 1 but they didn't replace the screens and that's why you have the yellowing.

Having MCU 2 and having FSD capability are not necessarily linked (unless you mean FSD beta). I wonder if this car originally had MCU 1 but they didn't replace the screens and that's why you have the yellowing.
Check the mfg. date inside driver’s door. Anything 3/18 or later had MCU2 originally and was not upgraded. And that would mean you still have FM.

That car likely came with AP2.5 hardware, and if it’s sold with FSD, would require the free AP3 upgrade to get the capability.

Here is my sticker

IMG_1619 2.jpg

So I guess I have at least 2.5 but I do have full FSD capability plus I can participate in the full FSD beta if I take a test.

I couldn't find the radio in the infotainment system. Now I have Spotify and streaming radio but couldn't find anything else but I've been slammed with work so I haven't spent much time exploring.

Last edited:
Here is my sticker

View attachment 753016

So I guess I have at least 2.5 but I do have full FSD capability plus I can participate in the full FSD beta if I take a test.

I couldn't find the radio in the infotainment system. Now I have Spotify and streaming radio but couldn't find anything else but I've been slammed with work so I haven't spent much time exploring.
So your car came with MCU2 and AP2.5. AP3 came out in April ‘19. Tesla may have updated the AP hardware already given it comes with FSD; check under Software-Additional Vehicle Info.

Radio should be it’s own icon when you press … on menu bar (depending on your current firmware release).

I found my FM radio plus TuneIn etc. but no XM. I have a glass roof (no sun roof) so am I outta luck? I can stream XM fine from my phone app through Bluetooth but I would my channels on the screen instead of having to scroll through the app. I also looked and I have a Full Self-Driving computer

Last edited:
Well I still can't figure out why/how I have FM radio which obviously means I have the radio upgrade but no XM symbol. I don't see how you can have one without the other but I guess you can because I seem to. If it costs $500 to get XM I'll just listen to the app through my iPhone into the infotainment system.

I have sent an email to my Nashville Tesla location outlining my question/confusion and hopefully I will get an answer that makes sense. I have a full self driving computer with an infotainment upgrade (see my first post from Tesla's website). My car was built in July 2018. The image below is from my MSRP window sticker that Tesla sent me.

1642376307866.png