Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving Capability - Not having full self driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to the Tesla service center today, and they keep insisting I don't have Full Self Driving. Their argument is that my car is "capable" to get it upgraded with infotainment to HW 3.0 BUT they keep insisting I have to pay monthly or yearly subscription.

The Tesla service center also said "Full Self Driving Capability - included in the package" does not mean I really have it. He kept saying any cars with enhanced autopilot will show "Full Self Driving Capability - included in the package"

I feel like I am being ripped off.

When I first got my car from the original seller, so I got premium connectivity package, full self driving capability package INCLUDED and free unlimited supercharging included.

I tried to go myTesla app, and there is no option I can buy the full self driving. It shows as if I have maxed out.

So I should not have to pay monthly or yearly premium subscription, right? This is super frustrating.

Attachments

• Nothing to Upgrade on subscription.PNG
    Nothing to Upgrade on subscription.PNG
    212.7 KB · Views: 599
  • Clicked the Software Upgrades.PNG
    Clicked the Software Upgrades.PNG
    500.4 KB · Views: 297
  • Nothing to Upgrade on Buy.PNG
    Nothing to Upgrade on Buy.PNG
    209.9 KB · Views: 426
  • Model X Software Page.jpg
    Model X Software Page.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 1,559
  • My Tesla in Car Details.png
    My Tesla in Car Details.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 446
  • My Tesla from web.png
    My Tesla from web.png
    284.4 KB · Views: 424
They gave you all kinds of bad information. You will never have to pay for it, you clearly have it, when it is released. That's the caveat. Teslas are not fully self driving yet, so you have all of the advanced auto pilot features, navigate on auto pilot, etc. I forget which screen it is on, but in the car you can request to be part of the FSD beta program. Once you have done that, there will be a "Safety" section in the app on your phone. Tesla will monitor your driving habits, and you can check your score daily.

I think you need 90 or above to actually get it. It took me three or four weeks before I got it. I live in New England, and our back roads are not very FSD friendly, so I have to really keep my hands on the wheel. It is definitely not for prime time yet. I am going on a 2000+ mile trip starting this weekend, and will try it more then, but the sudden braking on a clear divided road and occasionally jerking the wheel is a little unnerving.

Telsa offers FSD when you buy the car, but you don't actually get it. I have my doubts that any Teslas on the road today will ever be able to Self-Drive reliably.

@Maximilien I’ve always thought Tesla throwing in the term “capability” confuses things. If I were using logic, I would also conclude that FSD capability might not be the same thing as having purchased the package. But as you know, that term does mean that the FSD package has been purchased. I see it has the 2.0 computer, so were you trying to get the 3.0 upgrade and the camera update scheduled? Are they still parsing that out by VIN, or is it currently available to all?

They gave you all kinds of bad information. You will never have to pay for it, you clearly have it, when it is released. That's the caveat. Teslas are not fully self driving yet, so you have all of the advanced auto pilot features, navigate on auto pilot, etc. I forget which screen it is on, but in the car you can request to be part of the FSD beta program. Once you have done that, there will be a "Safety" section in the app on your phone. Tesla will monitor your driving habits, and you can check your score daily.

I think you need 90 or above to actually get it. It took me three or four weeks before I got it. I live in New England, and our back roads are not very FSD friendly, so I have to really keep my hands on the wheel. It is definitely not for prime time yet. I am going on a 2000+ mile trip starting this weekend, and will try it more then, but the sudden braking on a clear divided road and occasionally jerking the wheel is a little unnerving.

Telsa offers FSD when you buy the car, but you don't actually get it. I have my doubts that any Teslas on the road today will ever be able to Self-Drive reliably.
That's helpful. Thank you. I didn't know about FSD beta program and will try to ask for it tomorrow. I will see how they will say it.

Actually, I am in my other home in MA (which I am in now), and I agree that autopilot feature is not very smooth.

But don't I need infotainment upgrade to use HW3.0? Will it still work on old MCU?
Yes, HW3 works with MCU1.

BTW if your car didn’t have FSD, you could not do the $199/month subscription without first paying for the hardware upgrades. They put a price of $1k, I think, on the FSD computer. I don’t know if they’ve made the camera upgrade a stand-alone option. But these hardware upgrades are covered within the FSD purchase price; no extra cost.

HW3 upgrade has been easy to get for the past year (IMO) *but* camera upgrades (the missing piece to be able to activate FSD) are in short supply (or some similar excuse they give me) and I have to be "invited" for the upgrade.

My driver side fender camera failed and they owe me color cameras for FSD and they are charging me money to replace the useless b/w cameras while I still wait for the free color ones. I've got that fight waiting for me on the 30th of March but I can't use any AP/EAP features until this is fixed (or sentry but Dashcam minus that camera works). The other fender camera started failing yesterday. So I might have to pay to replace everything and then get them replaced again shortly (whenever Tesla feels they can install the color cameras).

Tesla FSD is just pure fraud. The actual software sucks a lot too (only fanboys can tolerate the massive issues). Luckily I dropped FSD on my new car.

Yes, HW3 works with MCU1.

BTW if your car didn’t have FSD, you could not do the $199/month subscription without first paying for the hardware upgrades. They put a price of $1k, I think, on the FSD computer. I don’t know if they’ve made the camera upgrade a stand-alone option. But these hardware upgrades are covered within the FSD purchase price; no extra cost.

MCU1 is not eligible for FSD. They say it works but it doesn't. Tesla likely will eventually offer a free upgrade for FSD MCU1 owners but given the delays with paid MCU2/FSD owners getting color cameras, I don't think Tesla cares.

Reactions: pilotSteve
But don't I need infotainment upgrade to use HW3.0? Will it still work on old MCU?
Definitely get the MCU upgrade. I'm in an AP1 vehicle and it was worth it. Plenty of threads on that.

I seem to remember some folks saying the MCU upgrade also got them the AP upgrade, so that's another reason to go for it.

To bad on the stubborn ignorant service guys. For me they have always been the best Tesla employees to work with.

Reactions: pilotSteve