Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving Capability - Not having full self driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the FSD computer upgrade before I got the MCU2 upgrade. So I know it is possible for the configuration of HW3 and MCU1 to exist. But I do wholeheartedly encourage the MCU2 upgrade. Nothing ever worked quite right with the electronics with MCU1.

Yes you can have HW3 plus MCU1 but it won't result in FSD because you need MCU2 to get it despite Tesla's lies. You'll also need upgraded cameras in that config unless HW2.5.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
@Maximilien I’ve always thought Tesla throwing in the term “capability” confuses things. If I were using logic, I would also conclude that FSD capability might not be the same thing as having purchased the package. But as you know, that term does mean that the FSD package has been purchased. I see it has the 2.0 computer, so were you trying to get the 3.0 upgrade and the camera update scheduled? Are they still parsing that out by VIN, or is it currently available to all?
My Model S has same Full Self Driving Capability, and the service guy in the Dedham, MA center said Model S has full self driving, but model X doesn't. But on the front screen, both cars have "Full Self Driving Capability Package Included" on the main screen. Also on my myTesla app, I also cannot upgrade the software just like my Model X.

To make more confusing, he said my Model S will cost only $1500 without radio tuner but my model X will need to be $2000 for the upgrade.

I am calling them now and I miss Tesla 2 years ago, when I could talk to a human rep in less than 5-15 min of call. These days it takes easily over 1 hour just to talk to them about any issues. Anyway, I will give updates after I talk with them.

To make more confusing, he said my Model S will cost only $1500 without radio tuner but my model X will need to be $2000 for the upgrade
This is referring to the MCU2 upgrade, not the FSD computer upgrade. Perhaps this helps some.

I went to the Tesla service center today, and they keep insisting I don't have Full Self Driving. Their argument is that my car is "capable" to get it upgraded with infotainment to HW 3.0 BUT they keep insisting I have to pay monthly or yearly subscription.

The Tesla service center also said "Full Self Driving Capability - included in the package" does not mean I really have it. He kept saying any cars with enhanced autopilot will show "Full Self Driving Capability - included in the package"

I feel like I am being ripped off.

When I first got my car from the original seller, so I got premium connectivity package, full self driving capability package INCLUDED and free unlimited supercharging included.

I tried to go myTesla app, and there is no option I can buy the full self driving. It shows as if I have maxed out.

So I should not have to pay monthly or yearly premium subscription, right? This is super frustrating.
Looks identical to mine and I have it!

Reactions: Maximilien
I talked with them over the phone for over 1 hour, nothing resolved.

They keep saying I only have enhanced autopilot on my Model X.
Two possibilities:
1. Original owner probably paid FSD package $3,000 AFTER THE DELIVERY (back then after purchasing $5,000 EA) but somehow Tesla didn't/couldn't update.
2. Maybe the car was in the transition state where original owner was lucky to get EA+FSD for the price of AP 1.0 (I remember it was either $2500 or $3000 back then.) and the service people may not be aware of grandfathered EA and FSD.
3. Maybe the original owner didn't buy FSD but Tesla screwed up with FSD Package included by accident. I highly doubt this. If the original owner never paid for it, they would somehow have removed it at one point.

Both service centers and the Tesla CSR say, I have to pay additional cost to get the full selfdriving. To make even worse, he doesn't know how much I have to pay more. He keeps saying the price is up to the service team. But when I talked with the service team, they say they have standardized pricing so price is fixed. But several reps in the service center give me different pricing.

And we are talking about the NUMBER 1 car manufacturer in the world whose market cap is bigger than all automakers combined in the world.
🤪
😖

Last edited:
Reactions: henderrj
I talked with them over the phone for over 1 hour, nothing resolved.

They keep saying I only have enhanced autopilot on my Model X.
Two possibilities:
1. Original owner probably paid FSD package $3,000 AFTER THE DELIVERY (back then after purchasing $5,000 EA) but somehow Tesla didn't/couldn't update.
2. Maybe the car was in the transition state where original owner was lucky to get EA+FSD for the price of AP 1.0 (I remember it was either $2500 or $3000 back then.)

Both service centers and the Tesla CSR say, I have to pay additional cost to get the full selfdriving. To make even worse, he doesn't know how much I have to pay more. He keeps saying the price is up to the service team. But when I talked with the service team, they say they have standardized pricing so price is fixed.

And we are talking about the NUMBER 1 car manufacturer in the world whose market cap is bigger than all automakers combined in the world.
🤪
😖
I bought three cars within six months and paid three different prices. What a shitshow for sure.

• Funny
Reactions: Maximilien
HW3 upgrade has been easy to get for the past year (IMO) *but* camera upgrades (the missing piece to be able to activate FSD) are in short supply (or some similar excuse they give me) and I have to be "invited" for the upgrade.
The problem with the supply of cameras, as I found out during my retrofit last week, is the “new” front fender cameras are shipped with the black housing on them. The rangers have to fit them with the silver housings before installing them into our (older) vehicles. I was postponed 4 times due to this. They had the cameras but not the trim.

• Helpful
Just an update that I do have FSD after upgrades. I don't have to pay $199/mo. subscription.

Service in Dedham lied. Full Self Driving Capabilities on the dashboard means Full Self Driving.
Bunch of idiots & crooks with their bromance running the center. They think customers are retards and probably think they can get away. It was full 1+ hour waste of time arguing with them. Too bad I cannot get my time back.

I will never visit Dedham, MA center, ever again. I would rather drive down to Rhode Islands service center despite longer drive distance because they are prompt, honest and more professional.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solar40 and blodg1
@Maximilien - I am in similar boat. I have FSD included and have scheduled MCU2 upgrade. How do I know version of my camera? Once I upgrade MCU how do I enroll into FSD beta?
Once you have all the requisite hardware, then the option to request the FSD Beta and join the queue is in the settings menu, under autopilot (or whatever they call the screen where you configure the autopilot settings).

EDIT: I think in mine that section is called “Driving and Steering”.