Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self-Driving Capability... Worth it?

Is Full Self-Driving Capability For $10,000+ Worth It?

• Yes, it is definiitely worth the price.

• No, do not waste your money for it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought a Tesla Model 3 and I was just wondering is the $10,000 fee for the full self-driving capability worth it? Im in Canada and I'm curious to whether I should purchase this option or not... let me know what you think!
I don't think it's worth it. Actual full self driving is not coming any time soon. We'll continue to see improvements to Autopilot, however FSD is not going to happen any time soon despite what we hear/read on a daily basis.

Reactions: cdswm3
@CarFoxSuperior tough question. I'd really really like it, but for me, the pricing is out of reach. If I did more driving, I'd consider it more seriously. That said, if you are on the fence, you may want to purchase it sooner than later; it's expected to go up in price fairly soon when the FSD beta that's currently in some limited testing in the US gets released in Canada, just like it did there. In the US, the pricing went from $8k USD to $10k USD about a week after the beta went out to the hand-picked testers. If we assume a similar ~25% increase here, that would mean it could end up costing in the neighbourhood of $14k CAD once the pricing is adjusted. Of course, this is just speculation, but I think it's safe to assume the pricing will not remain "at par" (currently 10k USD or 10k CAD) indefinitely.

• Funny
When FSD is fully functional, car which equipped with FSD will automatically increase its value, we will have clear picture toward end of 2021 next year. Tesla will just keep increase FSD price, this is their goal to make vehicle sustainable in term of value.

• Funny
I really feel like it depends how new your car is. If you got in when it was cheap you probably feel OK with how far EAP has come etc. If you are buying a new car the price is pretty prohibitive and probably not worth it.

I just joined the Tesla family spending 65k+ on a 2018 Model X and I just don't think the value proposition is there. I have EAP and I don't think I would really get anything out of spending another 10k+. If they ever moved to a monthly payment option I would probably do that or if it was tied to the driver or somehow grandfathered you into a discount on your next car I would also give it greater though.

not worth it, until it is, by which time it will cost more than it does now.
Its a gamble.
I got it, but I plan on keeping my car.
If you're on a 2/3 year lease I wouldn't get it - but its really down to your preference/circumstance.

Cost is a big consideration for many. It was for me.

I think another big consideration is how long a person plans to own the car. Another consideration for me was the driver’s age.

if I had planned to own the car for two or three years, I would not have considered it. I plan to keep the car for a minimum of 10 years, hopefully 15-20 years.

I am on my 60s. I have seen people’s driving skills deteriorate in their 70s. (I’ve also seen people in their 50s and 40s who demonstrate terrible driving skills, but that is a whole different topic.). Even if FSD (autonomous driving level 4 or 5) doesn’t happen for the current TM3 cars, I am confident that additional FSD-capability enhancements will serve to assist if my driving abilities deteriorate.

Considering these factors, paying for FSD-capability made sense for me and I bought it in 2019.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Cost is a big consideration for many. It was for me.

I think another big consideration is how long a person plans to own the car. Another consideration for me was the driver’s age.

if I had planned to own the car for two or three years, I would not have considered it. I plan to keep the car for a minimum of 10 years, hopefully 15-20 years.

I am on my 60s. I have seen people’s driving skills deteriorate in their 70s. (I’ve also seen people in their 50s and 40s who demonstrate terrible driving skills, but that is a whole different topic.). Even if FSD (autonomous driving level 4 or 5) doesn’t happen for the current TM3 cars, I am confident that additional FSD-capability enhancements will serve to assist if my driving abilities deteriorate.

Considering these factors, paying for FSD-capability made sense for me and I bought it in 2019.

Don’t mean to be negative, on my 2nd Tesla and had one of the first Nissan Leafs...

But 15-20 yrs out of a current Tesla, in Canada?

I am rooting for you but I doubt it. The build quality just isn’t there for the abuse our cars take here with salt and crappy roads.

Lets hope!

• Funny
Reactions: Biscuitman
I’m planning to add it on my 2021 Model X that we picked up last week.

Honestly doesn’t seem worth it (that’s why we didn’t purchase the car with the FSD package in the first place) but I think I’m just in that honeymoon phase

On my test drives, the best part of FSD was the auto lane changes... and I guess Navigate on Autopilot, but I found it to wait too longer before switching lanes to get on to an exit ramp

Don’t mean to be negative, on my 2nd Tesla and had one of the first Nissan Leafs...

I am rooting for you but I doubt it. The build quality just isn’t there for the abuse our cars take here with salt and crappy roads.

Lets hope!

we have a 2014 AP1 model S with over 230,000 miles on it. Still the original battery. I have no doubt at all that the cybertruck that I've got an order will last me 15 to 20 years. I'm pretty sure most current Tesla cars can be expected to last that long. you might need a battery, might not, but I think you'll still be driving it if you want. Or rather, it will be driving you if you want!

Reactions: Cybr.Myk
we have a 2014 AP1 model S with over 230,000 miles on it. Still the original battery. I have no doubt at all that the cybertruck that I've got an order will last me 15 to 20 years. I'm pretty sure most current Tesla cars can be expected to last that long. you might need a battery, might not, but I think you'll still be driving it if you want. Or rather, it will be driving you if you want!

By the fact that you said 230k Miles I am guessing you are not in Canada. Lots of mileage in 6 yrs is not a problem for any car.

This is a Canada forum and we use a lot of salt on our roads...

The salt and bad roads will wreak havoc, if you have ever pulled a fender camera out and seen how flimsy and unprotected the wiring is....

Like I said I am hoping for the best, I have driven my BMW’s from new to 15 yrs with lots of preventive maintenance done on my own. Not sure how this car will be .

I got in when it was C$ 7900 and am happy with my purchase, but I don't think I'd be a buyer at the current price (C$10600) unless Tesla makes the license transferable. If robo taxi level autonomy ever becomes a reality, does it really make sense that a software failure (write-off crash) destroys the very license that was tasked with keeping the car safe?

Lets hope!

What salt and crappy roads? I live on Vancouver Island.

Here we save our salt for our “slow cuisine”. Even then it is sea salt that we use. :)

• Funny
Reactions: duanra