Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full self driving capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't need the extra 70something range, nor all wheel drive, so the extra $9,000 isn't worth it to me.

The dirty little EV secret:

You should only charge a Tesla to 90% max routinely. And everybody gets nervous at 10% left. Your freeway range at 75 mph is about 70% of the EPA rating. So your 232 mile EPA All-Highway rating is really 162. Now your normal 80% window is 130 miles. Rain, cold, winds, and mountains drop the range even further.

My "351 mile" Model X is about 260-270 miles x 80% window or a practical daily range of 216 miles. (However, I'm an 'enthusiastic' driver and the MX is a big pig).

The Model 3 AWD also comes with a big jump in acceleration. And if you feel the need, you can pay 2 grand and make it go faster.

Last edited:
I don't need the extra 70something range, nor all wheel drive, so the extra $9,000 isn't worth it to me.

If that "sometimes" 100 mile trip is 100 miles 1 way, then you definitely would benefit from the longer range. As indicated, the charging range of an EV for "optimal" battery health is something like 90% to 20%. EPA range is driving like 55 MPH, which unless you spend most of your driving in traffic, your not driving that speed in california. Since you mention you are retired, it likely means that you can go places "when you want to" so likely avoid traffic when you can.

Driving at 70-75, with heat on in the winter ( you will likely still use heat in winter, and in a model 3 it directly effects range), and the standard "battery degradation" of around 5% that will occur in the first year mean your "effective" range is in the 150 range. You can charge to 100% for trips, but you wont want to charge to 100% all the time.

While my own model 3 is the performance model , and I have the full self driving option on my car (and think its "worth it"), If the choice was between the standard autopilot the car comes with and spending the money for more engine, or buying FSD, I would pick the engine 100 times out of 100. Full disclosure though, I like cars with some speed to them.

I think the "engine" (battery) is worth the money before FSD. I think both are worth it, but if I had budget to only choose 1 thats the one I would choose.

I also find it interesting that tesla is telling you they can hold your order until next year. They likely are putting you on a do not deliver list or something, but will this really protect you from price changes for that long? I dont know tesla's policies on such a thing, but most places would not let you hold a price for 7 months.

In any case, welcome to TMC. This place is generally friendly, but there are a few hot button items that get people riled up (just like any place people gather all the time to discuss things). One of them here is "Is full self driving worth it?"

Another is " why does my car only show 210 miles when I purchased 240 miles range??? its only 8 months old????"

Still another is " I only drove 8 miles, why does my car show that it lost 22 miles range?????"

All variations on the same thing of "lost" range. Everything in the car uses "range", and some more than others. Turning on the sentry mode takes 1-2 miles of range an hour, for example.

With this car, one can purchase the full self driving add on at any time, but you cant change the battery (range), just like in a regular car, you can typically change / add options, but a 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder choice is not generally changed after purchase, at least not until someone is doing motor swaps on old cars.

Good luck with your decision(s).

Thanks.

Well, I am a techie; former Apple and other Silicon Valley companies employee, yada yada. :)

I'm retired, and with rare exceptions, my freeway driving is about 20 miles each way three or four days a week. Once or twice a month, I'll drive 100 miles round trip on freeways.
I bought FSD capability on my SR+ a year ago. Like you I am retired. I don’t really expect to have fully autonomous driving on my car, even though that is what Tesla promotes as being FSD capability. I do hope that as my driving abilities deteriorate over time the car’s driving enhancements will increase to offset that.

Having said that, I have driven 35,000+ km in less than a year. If I drove as few kilometres as you, I’m not sure I would pay the premium.

I ordered a Model 3 Standard Range + last week for delivery in the January-February 2021 time frame.
I'm trying to decide whether to order the Full Self-Driving option. Is it worth the $7,000?

Y. O. L. O.

You don't want half a Tesla. Get it and finance it. End of story.

Totaly agree! Would someone buy an Audi 2WD instead of an Audi Quatro AWD?

If you get a Tesla Model 3, get the AWD and get the LR battery.

Also, a Tesla without FSD is a no-no.

The additional cost from SR+ to LR AWD is worthwhile:
- you will get back the price difference if you sell your car, or
- if you keep your car for a long time, you will get less concerned about the annual battery degradation.

Also why not considering getting a Model Y for additional practicality?

I ordered a MY with FSD. Been waiting on Johnny cab tech ever since I watched Total Recall thirty years ago. For me, the $7k upgrade is one step towards making that dream a reality. And I don't mind the wait if it means making the tech safer for real world conditions. Wouldn't want a rushed product and then suffer the same fate as the aforementioned Johnny cab.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Been waiting on Johnny cab tech ever since I watched Total Recall thirty years ago.

Didn't that movie also feature a "Boring Company" tunneling machine? And space rockets? And people living on Mars?? I think I know where Elon gets his ideas

52038fbeecad04636a00000c

Reactions: DanCar
Thanks.

Well, I am a techie; former Apple and other Silicon Valley companies employee, yada yada. :)

I'm retired, and with rare exceptions, my freeway driving is about 20 miles each way three or four days a week. Once or twice a month, I'll drive 100 miles round trip on freeways.

As a retiree, not sure you'll ever receive the value from it; just not enuf driving to make it worthwhile, IMO. (I am a recent retiree with EAP, and rarely use it. Glad I did not bite on the $2k fire sale; truth be told, I was about to spring for it, bcos, well, FOMO, but then it got cancelled.)

Much better to take that $7k and buy TSLA stock.

@Michelle_eriw Here's my take (63yo male; test engineer in Silicon Valley for over 43 years but now semi-retired, no military experience):

I rented a Model 3 through Turo.com in January 2018 and posted about it here in the forum. I ordered my LR RWD car June 2018 without EAP or FSD and received it in July. I initially said to everyone here that I wanted a car I drove myself and wasn't interested in something that would chauffeur me around. After having the car for several months, Tesla offered a two week free trial of EAP. I ended up liking it so much that I bought it ($5500, excluding tax). Almost a year later there was an announcement that the FSD price would increase soon (from $3K). A major benefit was that the hardware upgrade to HW3 (from 2.5) would be included. I figured that the price would never come down (it did at one point), and as I had just got an MBO payout at work, I caved and purchased the option. So I went from "no way I'd buy those things" to "yup, here's my credit card" in less than a year.

Was it worth it? At just slightly more than $9K when you include CA sales tax, I think it was. Although I'm not driving as much as I used to I do appreciate the Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) function, as well as Auto Lane Change (ALC) every time I'm out on the highway and the wifey is not with me; she is still not a convert to the technology. I've used Auto Park a couple of times to impress my family, but otherwise think I can park the car myself a bit faster than the AI. Smart Summon is a gimmick to me and have never used it but I have used the regular Summon to fit the car into a tight parking space at work several times. I have currently enabled the traffic light visualization function but NOT allowed the car to automatically stop at signs and lights. I'll leave it up to others to teach the AI to be smart enough to correctly handle 99.99% of the times that the car needs to be aware of its surroundings. That the technology should only improve over time and be downloaded into the car for free, convinced me to buy in.

If that's your normal usage then I'd say yes, the FSD option is probably useful to have. It will make even longer trips more relaxing, if you don't mind keeping your hands on the steering wheel and foot hovering over the brake. I've taken my car from San Jose to Disneyland via I-5 once and last year I went up to Squaw Valley and skied the 4th of July. Both trips were easy to do using the Supercharger network and NoA/ALC functions. If you haven't already, try to rent or borrow a Model 3 with the FSD package and try it out yourself. That should give you enough information to see if it's something you like/want or not.
Interesting. I am 81, purchased the model 3 in November of 2019 and did get the full autopilot thing. I have engaged it a few times and find it has a long way to go for me to feel comfortable with it. I just finished reading "The Robots of Dawn" by Isaac Asimov which was published in 1983. When automobiles attain the capabilities expressed in this novel, I might feel comfortable with it.

Reactions: RBowen
LRAWD 3 owner who took the $3k upgrade to FSD from EAP here. The acceleration is nice, although, as a former Subaru driver, any trim level Tesla acceleration would have blown me away. The range is key if you have a longer commute (mine is 60-80 miles round trip daily) and/or make longer trips (who doesn’t from time to time?). Totally agree with MX owner’s comment on range above. FSD for me was more about the future than the present. Navigate on Autopilot doesn’t impress me that much (maybe that’s because I live in NYC and it’s not aggressive enough about lane changes). Smart Summon is cool, but I don’t use it that much. AWD is peace of mind, though. How the car handles in the rain/snow is a dream—I don’t think it knows how to fishtail/hydroplane.

So, let me add in my 2 cents to the discussion - a little background, I'm a former USAF pilot who loves the hands-on feel of driving, took some advanced driving courses at Atlanta International, and love the feel of driving rather than using the Autosteer capabilities on my Model S. Having said that I did order FSD on our MY a) because I love tech, b) because I believe the 'story' that full function will be delivered before either the car or I die and 3) it will give me one additional argument to postpone when the kids take away my keys :)