Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full self driving capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the camp where I would rather change lanes myself now and only spend the money for FSD when it is actually providing legal to use self driving. Most likely I will have switched cars at least twice before the legality to not look at the road is there so for me buying FSD now makes little sense.

The included Autopilot also provides most of the functionality availiable today for highways, sure I have to change lanes myself and then pull the stalk to re-engage Autosteer but that isn’t really cumbersome.

If the choice is Standard Range + with FSD or LR AWD I would go LR AWD any day.

Reactions: hellocar and logan
I wanted both, didn't want to pay full price for both, so I ended up buying used. Well not quite FSD, I got enhanced autopilot. I've only had the car for two weeks so my experience is limited. What I can say if you drive the highway a lot the autopilot functionality is great. The autosteer and adaptive cruise work great, and takes much of the stress out of highway driving. However, the only enhanced autopilot feature that I feel I really get use of is lane change. While in autopilot if I pull the turn signal stalk up or down, the car signals, checks the lane and changes automatically. If the lane change cannot be executed safely it will not change until able to do so. Without it you have to disengage autopilot to change lane, then reengage in the new lane. If I could buy that feature a-la-carte with just standard autopilot it's all I'd need. I have mixed feelings about navigate on autopilot. I don't really care for the way it takes on and off ramps. And as for automatic lane changes with no user intervention, I'd rather just initiate the lane change myself (using the turn signal, and the car changing lanes by itself)

Smart summon feels not quite ready, autopark I have never tried (it's only came up as available once, in a neighbors driveway, and I don't know if it wanted to autopark on the sidewalk or the street).

I have more range than I need now, but will welcome the extra battery in the winter. I'm also getting closer to retirement and anticipate more long trips in the car.

It’’s fascinating how accounts of FSD in the US differ from those in the rest of the world. It seems that FSD is optimised for the USA, which is slightly annoying if you’ve spent the same money outside of the US for the same function. I live in the UK, west of Exeter, where it was rumoured that Tesla were going to build a new service centre but haven’t. I have a late 2017 Model X With ‘full’ SD, and it not only doesn’t SD (self drive), but it even stopped doing basic stuff like changing lane on the turn signal some time last year. My experience is that the self driving ability of the car has in fact got worse over time. It’s become more nervous and erratic, but still likes to drive 12” from 18 wheelers as it overtakes them - frankly I’ve had less scary fairground rides, and as bad as my driving is my wife refuses to sit in the car if I put the FSD on. It doesn’t help that we’re miles from a service centre where we live, and so it’s not simply a matter of dropping in and having a cup of tea and a chat about the lack of FSD in an FSD car, nor any of the other problems we have with the lane keeping and adaptive cruise control. Otherwise it’s a great car and largely trouble free, albeit too big to drive comfortably on European roads other than motorways, but just don't mention the self driving!

@100XSCD that's obviously frustrating. The terminology and feature sets keep changing. Do you have the "full FSD" upgrade with NOA (navigate on Autopilot, using the GPS map) or "Autopilot"? Do you have the new 3.0 hardware? The base Autopilot doesn't do lane change on turn signal. If it did initially on your X, then I guess they've brought your car to the standard Autopilot least common denominator, and that feature is gone, though it's alive and well, even on city streets, with the FSD/NOA upgrade. I'm not sure how your car is "overtaking" 18 wheelers if you don't have auto-lane change.

At this point NOA is only for multi-lane "freeways", i.e. Motorways and Autobahns. Personally I love NOA, but the basic Autopilot, not as much. And there are both improvement and regressions with every new version as they work on the code. Apparently they are in the throes of a major re-write. On the "nervousness" it's helped to set the default to "5 miles below speed limit", and bring it up with the scroll wheel.

As they continue releasing more street level capabilities, there's every commercial self-interest reason to believe the system will get better on narrower European roads. Hang in there.

Last edited:
Yeah I bought it when autopilot plus FSD was 5000(6600 cdn) for about 3 weeks mainly to get the new computer and keep resale. I rarely use the highway and it has been pretty much useless for me. I'm glad the option has not lost any value and that may allow me to get another Tesla without FSD for less out of my pocket . I don't find it reliable unless it is going straight without lane changes. Every time I use it , it can't handle our concrete Hwys well due to the sun reflecting. I just turn it off unless the trip is longer than 20 min.

It’’s fascinating how accounts of FSD in the US differ from those in the rest of the world. It seems that FSD is optimised for the USA, which is slightly annoying if you’ve spent the same money outside of the US for the same function. I live in the UK, west of Exeter, where it was rumoured that Tesla were going to build a new service centre but haven’t. I have a late 2017 Model X With ‘full’ SD, and it not only doesn’t SD (self drive), but it even stopped doing basic stuff like changing lane on the turn signal some time last year. My experience is that the self driving ability of the car has in fact got worse over time. It’s become more nervous and erratic, but still likes to drive 12” from 18 wheelers as it overtakes them - frankly I’ve had less scary fairground rides, and as bad as my driving is my wife refuses to sit in the car if I put the FSD on. It doesn’t help that we’re miles from a service centre where we live, and so it’s not simply a matter of dropping in and having a cup of tea and a chat about the lack of FSD in an FSD car, nor any of the other problems we have with the lane keeping and adaptive cruise control. Otherwise it’s a great car and largely trouble free, albeit too big to drive comfortably on European roads other than motorways, but just don't mention the self driving!

My understanding is at least some of the crippling of FSD in europe is due to EU regulations forcing Tesla to do that.

Tesla Autopilot Europe restrictions explained: How regulations are hindering a Full Self-Driving future

I bought FSD a few weeks ago, when the price increase appeared to be a foregone conclusion. Up until today, the only feature I really used was the lane change simply by signalling whilst in Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC). Then today, I had access to the stop signs and red lights beta (which only came to Canada late last week).

If you do any driving in stop and go traffic in the city, it makes TACC actually useful. Before, any time you came to a stop (for a light or a sign), you'd have to brake, which would turn off TACC. Then you would have to re-engage it. In some places, with a light every block or so, or some residential areas, with a stop sign at every intersection, it would be useless to use TACC. Now, granted at the moment, you need to 'allow' the car to continue at every light/sign, but that it because it is a beta feature, still providing data to Tesla HQ. Once it is out of beta, and you don't need to authorize continuing at every green light, you can set TACC, it will stop at red lights and go on green.

You can also usefully use Autopilot in the city now, too. You can change lanes just by signaling, it will keep you in your lane, and stop and go not only with traffic but with the lights/signs (with confirmation, for now).

Autosteer in the city may or may not be coming this year, as prognosticated by Mr. Musk (whose record of accuracy is not great), but I imagine it will be coming sooner, rather than later (you can find a thread talking about the upcoming ability to read speed signs and recognize roundabouts). Then it will be even more worthwhile (and to be clear, I am happy having gotten FSD just for what it has right now).

I agree with everyone that if range is at all a concern, pay for that now. (Who know, maybe your ability to pay for FSD later will arise). But if you are certain that you don't need more range (or more power, or AWD) I recommend FSD because it will not only make your car safer (I know that I have run a red light or stop sign or two in my 35 years of driving, from inattention), but it will also make it so much less tedious in circumstances that are pretty commonplace (or were and will be once the pandemic paucity of commuters ends).

I also agree with everyone that you will love your new car when you get it. I am absolutely delighted that I get to drive one of the most efficient vehicles on the road, that is also one of the quickest, with almost no maintenance requirements, and which allows so much customization of the driving experience, as well as the parking experience.

Im with you Im here in Orlando I bought mine 2 weeks before the new HW 3.0 was being shipped Im still awaiting for my Update but I'm waiting patiently hopping a 3.5 is announce and not missed to boat again. Dont be too impatient at the end only thing we are missing is the stop lights and stop signs that is still in beta and dont forget to be able to view the trash and cones.

Ok, my finger crossing worked (um, kind of). Today was the big day. I showed up at 10:30 for my 11 am appointment. Cars were parked all over the place with many of them double parked. But as my day was going, there was an empty spot right at the front door. I don't know why I got out of my car? There were signs taped all over the door saying to not come in. Go to www..... and tell us you are here. So I got back in my car and did what the signs said waiting for a phone call. Justin (Sarasota) called and said we have no record of your appointment! What? I'll show you my appointment scheduled on my app. He said no need and that he believed me. But they are jammed full all day. But let me talk to the guys and see if we can squeeze your car in at 4 (they close at 5). He came back on the phone and said, they would use one of the 3.0s meant for another car in July. Then he asked, how do you feel about leaving your car and Uber home. I told him I live 45 minutes away. He said that it wasn't a problem and that they would give me an Uber voucher for $200. I agreed, Ubered home. Got a text close to closing saying it was done. Justin agreed to park it out front with the key locked inside. I Ubered back and drove it out around 6 pm. Things I wasn't expecting...lost driver profiles including seat locations and entry settings, lost favorites in GPS, etc. I just wasn't thinking that these are saved on that system.

About putting off this retrofit and waiting for the 3.5. The next version is estimated to come out in Q3 of 2021, over a year away. I'll get that when it comes out since I paid for it when I bought the car. Speaking of the retrofit for the Model 3, there's a really good article explaining what you have and what you get at https://www.eetimes.com/a-tesla-model-3-tear-down-after-a-hardware-retrofit/. It opened my eyes about the car I drive. This article not only discusses the 3.0 but also all the hardware you already have such as cameras and radar etc.