Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving "Capability"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a 2017 Model S from Tesla (not a third party) and their website listed it as having FSD capability. So I've been driving it for about a week, and while it's on the interstate, I can pull back on the knob twice and it will perform adaptive cruise control and prompt me to signal for lane change, which sometimes doesn't work at all but most of the time does. Prior to purchasing the car, I asked Tesla if the FSD was fully enabled (vs spending $8k for it) and they said yes. So my question is, is the capability I just described really FSD? Disclaimer - I'm not expecting to get in my driveway and tell my car to take me to Publix while I sleep on the way. I'm reasonable and understand the need for constant human attention.

Also, I've heard I should get my computer upgraded (it's very laggy right now). Perhaps this piece of information will be helpful to you. There's no traffic light stuff on it right now.

Thanks

...So my question is, is the capability I just described really FSD?...

Yes.

Make sure to go to the "Autopilot" menu and enable any features that you want such as "Navigation on Autopilot"...

You should use your app and schedule a free upgrade to Hardware 3.0.

That upgrade alone is free but I would suggest paying $2,5000 additionally to upgrade your MCU1 to MCU2 too.

+1 on HW 3.0 upgrade. FSD on highways is much better with the hardware upgrade. City driving is still a work in progress.
Also the ding when the stop light you are stopped at turns green is a great new feature. Perfect for a safe quick look at phone.

Reactions: Tam
I'm thinking if u just bought it from Tesla then it should have HW3 in it already if it is FSD. this month I just bought a model S from Tesla and got HW3 but only has MCU-1. Check your software and see what updates it's on. Mine was not up to date. Also you must set up FSD in the menus. Once it's set up then u just pull the cruise stalk back twice for autoPilot. But to FSD you have to Navigate to a location.

I'm thinking if u just bought it from Tesla then it should have HW3 in it already if it is FSD. this month I just bought a model S from Tesla and got HW3 but only has MCU-1. Check your software and see what updates it's on. Mine was not up to date. Also you must set up FSD in the menus. Once it's set up then u just pull the cruise stalk back twice for autoPilot. But to FSD you have to Navigate to a location.

I bought a Model S with FSD from Tesla in late August and it didn’t have HW3 pre-installed. The used car adviser told me that I’d have to set up the installation myself after delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: Prowler