Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self-Driving Capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP for $5000 seems like an obvious upgrade choice. FSD capability activates 4 additional cameras for another $3000. FSD is not legal in many places as far as I know. So, my question is, does EAP take advantage of the additional active cameras if I pay extra for FSD. Will I get any benefit now, before self driving is legally allowed. Will EAP work better?

Reactions: P100DHG.
Here is a quote from HX_Guy's post from here FSD Features to be Available in 3 to 6 months
"
A quick breakdown of each as described on Tesla's website...

Enhanced Auto Pilot
• TACC
• Autosteering
• Auto change lanes without driver input (I assume this would be to keep TACC at a constant speed)
• Exit the freeway (based on Navigation directions)
• Park itself
• Summon in/out of garage

Full Self-Driving Capability
• Conduct short and long trips with no action required by the driver
• Manage intersections and roundabouts
See stop lights and stop sights
• Drop you off at an entry, auto seek parking, park itself and then come pick you back up with a summon from your phone
"

FSD:
This doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at what we believe will be a probability of safety at least twice as good as the average human driver.
"

Emphasis mine - I expect stop signs will be the first and the only one difference delivered in reasonable time (there were already some signs of it in earlier firmwares).
All other ones; after Tesla will have their own Samsung's made SoC that will be drop-in replacement for current (too weak for FSD) basic 2CPU nVidia computer.

As for a question - I expect that 8 cameras might some day be used by "basic" EAP for lane changing - no matter if you paid for FSD or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman