TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Full Self-Driving Hardware and front license plate

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by volkerbradley, Jan 20, 2017.

1. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

Screenshot from 2017-01-20 04-13-08.png My Model X has the new full self-driving hardware. Do you know if the "The Law - Tesla Model X Front License plate Bracket X7340" from Torklift will or will not obscure any of the front cameras or the radar unit?

2. thimel

thimel Member

It certainly won't obscure the front cameras which are on the windshield near the rear view mirror.
    Don't know exactly where the radar is.

3. NormP

NormP Member

I would think Tesla was aware of font license plates when they designed the car and placed the radar and sensors (We don't have them here in QC, but they are pretty common elsewhere). Euro plates are often much wider than NA.

I can attest that 1/2" of frozen slush all over the nosecone *will* blind the radar and disable Cruise Control. That, they probably don't see so often in Fremont.

If that picture is your car, it has to be the palest shade of Deep Blue Metallic ever! Glad I chose black.

• Funny x 2
  4. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

I asked the question with the picture of another owner's car demonstrating a mounted license plate. I want to be sure not to cause trouble if I mount a license plate like this. Interestingly, Torklift let me know that they cannot guarantee that their plateholder with a mounted license plate will not interfere with the sensors of AP2 in some way. So, at this point, we still don't know the answer.

5. Yinn

Yinn Member

I don't recall which thread, and couldn't find it just now. But someone posted a picture showing the radar was slightly offset I believe, front right side of the car.

6. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

Yes, that info is in the manual. However, I am not sure if there are more sensors and need to get a definite answer from someone who has been able to test this or who has spoken to a Tesla engineer.

7. travwill

travwill Active Member

The radar is a bit higher up, higher than the law plate for sure and regular plate. Usually see a little dimple on most Xs that you know it is behind. The law plate should obscure it on the AP2 cars, and definitely doesn't on AP1.

• Informative x 1
  8. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

Hmm, this is so confusing. There is no dimple in the center of the front of the X. Wished I knew exactly where the sensors are on the front of the AP2 Model X. Also, does anyone know if radar on the Tesla is obscured by a license plate?

9. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Its far right. In the manual (11/7/2016) its on page 76.
    upload_2017-3-6_8-6-36.png

10. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

Yes, I am aware of this manual entry. This entry is the same in the manual that was published last July.
    For that reason I am wondering if these are these the sensors for AP1 or AP2?

11. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

I don't see why they would have moved it from AP1 to AP2.

12. croman

croman Active Member

I heard that they moved the radar higher up to lessen snow/slush interference.

13. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

If you look at the picture notice the area just below the grill V and see how the image is distorted.

IMG_4675 (Large).JPG

14. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

So, we still only have conjecture. At some point, someone with contacts at Tesla will hopefully give us the definitive answer.