Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self-Driving Hardware and front license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot from 2017-01-20 04-13-08.png
My Model X has the new full self-driving hardware. Do you know if the "The Law - Tesla Model X Front License plate Bracket X7340" from Torklift will or will not obscure any of the front cameras or the radar unit?

View attachment 211363 My Model X has the new full self-driving hardware. Do you know if the "The Law - Tesla Model X Front License plate Bracket X7340" from Torklift will or will not obscure any of the front cameras or the radar unit?
It certainly won't obscure the front cameras which are on the windshield near the rear view mirror.
Don't know exactly where the radar is.

I would think Tesla was aware of font license plates when they designed the car and placed the radar and sensors (We don't have them here in QC, but they are pretty common elsewhere). Euro plates are often much wider than NA.

I can attest that 1/2" of frozen slush all over the nosecone *will* blind the radar and disable Cruise Control. That, they probably don't see so often in Fremont.

If that picture is your car, it has to be the palest shade of Deep Blue Metallic ever! Glad I chose black.

I asked the question with the picture of another owner's car demonstrating a mounted license plate. I want to be sure not to cause trouble if I mount a license plate like this. Interestingly, Torklift let me know that they cannot guarantee that their plateholder with a mounted license plate will not interfere with the sensors of AP2 in some way. So, at this point, we still don't know the answer.

The radar is a bit higher up, higher than the law plate for sure and regular plate. Usually see a little dimple on most Xs that you know it is behind. The law plate should obscure it on the AP2 cars, and definitely doesn't on AP1.
Hmm, this is so confusing. There is no dimple in the center of the front of the X. Wished I knew exactly where the sensors are on the front of the AP2 Model X. Also, does anyone know if radar on the Tesla is obscured by a license plate?