Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full self driving- how can i tell if a car has it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can someone advise me how I would know whether a car has full self-driving capability installed?

e.g. what do i look for on the touchscreen?

In the 'autopilot' menu underneath the 'cruise follow distance' there are two switches, one says autosteer (beta) the other underneath this says "full self drive visualization preview", does this mean that full self driving is activated?

Once full self driving is activated is it then free-for-life or is there a further subscription fees?

is this FSD.png

can someone advise me how I would know whether a car has full self-driving capability installed?

e.g. what do i look for on the touchscreen?

In the 'autopilot' menu underneath the 'cruise follow distance' there are two switches, one says autosteer (beta) the other underneath this says "full self drive visualization preview", does this mean that full self driving is activated?

Once full self driving is activated is it then free-for-life or is there a further subscription fees?

View attachment 581922
No subscription.

In the app if it's available. Or under additional vehicle info on software tab.

If buying from Tesla you need their written confirmation that you are buying FSD. Private party it should stay with car but you need to look at history of car (when and where it was purchased from. Trade and auction are harder to be sure. Written confirmation from Tesla might help.

This is based on assuming someone is thinking of buying a car and wants to know what is included.

Last edited:
Pretty sure there would be options on that screen for automatic lane changes, etc. if it had FSD.

"Full self drive visualization preview" is not FSD, even cars without FSD have it. It just shows more stuff in the visualizer (like cones, trash cars, etc.).

And for the love of god, charge that car!

FSD = Autosteer (Beta), Navigate on Autopilot, Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta), Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview and Summon (Beta). HW 3.0 is required to have all these features.
EAP = Autosteer (Beta), Navigate on Autopilot, and Summon (Beta). This option will be on 2018/early 2019 models and has HW 2.5 and will not have an option for the Full Self-Driving Visualizations. It is currently a $5k upgrade to go from EAP to FSD, which includes upgrading to the HW3.0 computer.

Basic AP with HW 3.0 = Missing NoA but you will have the option for Full Self-Driving Visualizations Preview. I believe this is currently a $8K upgrade option to go to FSD.
Basic AP with HW 3.0 = Missing NoA and missing option for Full Self-Driving Visualizations Preview. I believe this is also currently a $8K upgrade option to go to FSD.

Based on the screen shot you provided, looks like that is Basic AP with HW 3.0.

Thanks to all for the clarification.

The reason that I submitted this query was I have seen a pre-owned model 3 for sale, the sales representative was stating that the "Full self-drive visualization preview" (as displayed on the screen) indicated that it had FSD installed, which now appears to be an inaccurate and misleading statement.

The guy clearly has no understanding of Tesla's.