Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving Hugs Center Line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
Is there any way to adjust the position of the car in a lane when it is self-driving? My car hugs the center line, and I think it is dangerous. I prefer to drive in the middle or slightly to the side of the road in the driving lane instead of being so close to a head-on collision. When the car has trouble keeping in the lane automatically, it crosses into the oncoming lane. If the car were positioned further to the shoulder this danger would happen much less. I have tried re-calibration of the cameras and it is no better, maybe worse.

I wish it was more centered as well. Would be nice if there was an option like the stalk with the following distance adjustment. I do have to manually pull away occasionally when I feel like I am too close to a passing or oncoming car. And when I set it it aggressively hugs that center line like it is mad at me :p

Mine hugs the left hand side of the lane (I am in the UK where we drive on the left).

That's great for normal driving.

But when you are on a two or three lane road in traffic and are not in the far left lane then you are generally too close to the vehicle on your left. In real life this means motorbikes cannot get through in traffic and get mad with you.

As a result I hardly ever use FSD when in traffic, which is kind of it's easiest use case.

Another Tesla "feature"!

I just made a post a few days ago about an observation I have been making about the type of center line affecting where its centered. I have some pics to illustrate .
its in the main S forum , here is a link if your interested , and it will save me a lot of typing...lol

maybe not same thing as you are experiencing, but then again, maybe it is. At any rate, maybe I am the only one.

Type of center line affects AP lane centering??

Reactions: madcal
yeah no, autopilot software in its current state definitely isnt designed to be used on streets without a center divider. you are putting your life in danger.

lol, I just picked my 2020LRP up, noticed the same thing, I figured with it being out in the wild for so long it'd be ready for this kind of driving, guess I'll do the single lane stuff manually from now on...

Thanks.