Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving, Model 3, 2020 only.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not see or hear any blindspot warning on the Model 3 I tested. And the mirrors are small.

You can pay extra for a computer to tell you what it thinks is in your blind spot and hope it's right and you interpret the signals correctly, or you can learn to use your side mirrors correctly to eliminate blind spots all together and see for yourself at a glance what it is actually all around you.

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

You're welcome.

Reactions: clydeiii
Getting a little off-topic here, but when I bought my 3 in October of 2018, I was thrilled to pay for what was then EAP (enhanced auto pilot), which ultimately included NoA, advanced summon, parking etc. I did not pay the extra amount for the incremental FSD and I do not regret it.

But if I had to buy today, and it was basically an "all or nothing" proposition, (basic AP or FSD with no in between) it would be a tough decision. Not because of the traffic light recognition and city NoA which is supposedly coming with FSD, I don't have that, and (as of yet - maybe because it doesn't exist) I don't miss it. But I would miss NoA (even with some of its flaws) and auto lane changes.

You can pay extra for a computer to tell you what it thinks is in your blind spot and hope it's right and you interpret the signals correctly, or you can learn to use your side mirrors correctly to eliminate blind spots all together and see for yourself at a glance what it is actually all around you.

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

You're welcome.

I am aware that Blindspot Driver's Aids are a backup system like Automatic Emergency Braking is. I drove over a million miles before they were invented.

In theory, there is no need for any driver's aids, not even ABS. Skill can make up for deficiencies. I race with no ABS/TC/SC.

However, if backup systems are available, I don't have a problem with buying them, in fact, I demand them today. The M3 will be the car with the least amount of DA's I purchased recently.

Reactions: Yang_H
Does anyone have regrets after ordering their Model 3 with FSD? Not price, but functionality.

1) Can you see the stop light status on the center display yet?
2) Is the lane change logic very safe? Does it see motorcycles quickly enough?
3) Is the summon useful?

And any other thoughts? I'm primarily considering it as a safety system for blindspot monitoring (auto lane change) since the mirrors don't light up. They would only demonstrate it on the Model S, and only with the salesperson driving, so I have no point of reference for it.

1) Yes HW3 versions see stoplights stop signs, cones, trash cans etc. They don’t do anything yet, this is just a preview of the next release. You can of course see the cars around you as well.
2) In my experience hwy lane changes have gotten very good recently, and there is a more aggressive setting if you want that. I do use full “Navigate on Autopilot” on most HWY trips. Sometimes it is a little too polite and gets out of the passing lane more quickly than I would.
3) The standard summon works great for backing out of my tight garage, with no one in the car, when there is a lot of stuff in there. The smart summon is cool, but I have found it of limited practical value.

Basic autopilot comes with the vehicle. Navigate on Autopilot, is a nice feature for HWY trips, that is working it’s way very slowing towards city driving. As they improve it, the price to buy goes up.

All safety features come standard.

• Informative
Reactions: CrayZ1
Kymartyn: Exactly the feedback level I'm looking for. The Model S seemed to be acceptable from a distance, but they would not let me test it personally. Hate buying software without trying it first.

The fundamental problem I see with the M3 blind spot alert is that you can't see it when you are checking to the left. Hence the auto lane change being the safety backup for us.

There's supposed to be an auditory tone setting as well - not sure I've heard it though.
You're right, there is a setting for that (Controls/Autopilot/Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime).

I don't have a 2020 model, but my opinion regarding auto lane change: the auto lane change in regular Autopilot mode (i.e. triggered by the driver) is useful, since you don't have to take the car out of auto steering and re-engage after the lane change very time. Whether that luxury (and promises of future features that may or may not be usable) is worth $7K is up to you to decide. I use it a lot on long highway drives, but almost never in dense traffic since I don't trust it in that situation.

Navigate on Autopilot, in my opinion, is completely useless in its current state since it often makes nonsensical lane change decisions, often slows down way too much when it takes an exit and has a number of other issues. I never use it.

Reactions: tvad
You're right, there is a setting for that (Controls/Autopilot/Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime).

I don't have a 2020 model, but my opinion regarding auto lane change: the auto lane change in regular Autopilot mode (i.e. triggered by the driver) is useful, since you don't have to take the car out of auto steering and re-engage after the lane change very time. Whether that luxury (and promises of future features that may or may not be usable) is worth $7K is up to you to decide. I use it a lot on long highway drives.

Navigate on Autopilot, in my opinion, is completely useless in its current state since it often makes nonsensical lane change decisions, often slows down way too much when it takes an exit and has a number of other issues. I never use it.

Agreed on all counts. The manually-activated auto-lane-change alone is excellent. It kinda "completes" highway Autopilot for me.

Mine is a 2019 as well, and my FSD package was $5k when I purchased (for both FSD & EAP functions, I guess you could say.) I'd do it again.

I have only had my M3P for a couple weeks now, but starting to trust the FSD abilities. Not sure if the auto pilot is the same as the FSD experience. I have it set so I need to put the turn signal on before lane change and that works well. Adaptive cruise control (ACC) seams to work pretty good. I do miss a blind spot monitor on the mirror. The summon feature is a little bit of a gimmick right now, but as it get developed, I can see using it. Now, it is super slow and more of a show off feature.

I have a 2019 Honda Ridgeline that has all the bells and whistles. It has a lane hold ability that works well, but when you lose the painted lines it disengages. It works really well for highway driving. Also the steering wheel feedback with lane wandering is better than a beep alert. The ACC is not as good as the Tesla. Slows way down and slow to pick back up.

All in all, I spent the 7k for the up coming features. It will be nice when the FSD stops at lights and follows side road navigation. That hopefully will be coming soon. I would say get it now if you can afford it, but if not you can always add it. The car will be a hoot no matter your decision.

Reactions: CrayZ1
If by "completely useless" you mean "drives you but you don't like how it drives so you refuse to use it," then ok.
Yeah, I don't like it if the car suddenly slows way down on an exit lane and almost causes me to be rear ended, or decides to move to the left-most lane a mile before it needs to take an exit and then misses said exit. If you enjoy supervising this half-baked feature, more power to you.

Yeah, I don't like it if the car suddenly slows way down on an exit lane and almost causes me to be rear ended, or decides to move to the left-most lane a mile before it needs to take an exit and then misses said exit. If you enjoy supervising this half-baked feature, more power to you.
Most people spend 18 years raising a kid, so I assume it's a similar instinct? Luckily I haven't really experienced anything like that.

I would not call it half baked, but rather rapidly improving, and pretty good on the last rev. Though yes for some reason it will move to the left passing lane, in heavy traffic slowing for and exit, when I would not. Never missed an exit though. Now I just roll the scroll wheel back to match the set speed slower to traffic flow, so it does not do that. Certainly seems fixable.

There are many. See this table for reference:
Tesla Autopilot - Wikipedia
Auto lane change, NoA, auto park, summon, smart summon, traffic light recognition.

I disagree that table is a list of Tesla features as they correspond to the packages they sell (Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, "FSD"). I still stand by my statement there are no production FSD features out on general release. The term "self-driving" by definition means little to no human intervention required. When people talk "Full Self-driving" that implies no human intervention required. Not one of the features you listed requires "no human intervention" to operate. Even Smart Summon which would be the first production "driverless" feature requires a human to hold a button down to operate it. Tesla is being very careful with its wording and rollout of these features but all of them require human intervention.

Auto Lane Change - Requires human to either; use the turn signal stalk to initiate, use the AP stalk to confirm, or provide wheel torque to confirm a lane change (Speed based lane changes).

Navigate on AP - Requires a human to have their hands on the wheel to provide wheel torque. Also requires you to engage and disengage once on the off/on ramps.

Auto Park - Requires a human to scan for the spot by driving past it.

Summon/Smart Summon - Requires a human to hold a button (Smart Summon -Come to me). Regular summon only goes forward and backward so more like rolling than full self-driving.

Traffic Light Recognition - The car does not obey the lights or signs just sees them and warns if you are going to run the light, so no functionality here.

When Tesla releases City NoA and does not require wheel torque then City+highway NOA = FSD. Input navigation destination and sit back and let the car take you there from you house to the highway to the destination. Eagerly awaiting but we are not there yet.

Does anyone have regrets after ordering their Model 3 with FSD? Not price, but functionality.

1) Can you see the stop light status on the center display yet?
2) Is the lane change logic very safe? Does it see motorcycles quickly enough?
3) Is the summon useful?

And any other thoughts? I'm primarily considering it as a safety system for blindspot monitoring (auto lane change) since the mirrors don't light up. They would only demonstrate it on the Model S, and only with the salesperson driving, so I have no point of reference for it.
No regrets. I look forward to additional features though software updates.

2) Is the lane change logic very safe?

If you get the update and then don't feel safe. The update has one really amazing feature where you can control exactly when the car changes lanes. You don't need to have Navigate on Autopilot enabled either. Is basically does the lane change without having to disable it and re enable it like you do with the base autopilot. It's pretty amazing. All you do is when you want to change a lane you hit the blinker and the car will change the lane for you so... You have total control about how much automation you feel safe with is what I'm getting at.

Also, even with FSD you are required to be checking for blindspots and making sure the car is driving correctly so it doesn't really add any extra safety features.

I just saw other people mentioned this too... that's how great it is. :) . I wouldn't be surprised though if one day it gets added to regular autopilot and not lumped with the paid upgrade

Last edited: