Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full self driving necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery of S Plaid this weekend! Is Full Self Driving recommended?
I would like to use auto-park, radar guided cruise control, and lane keeping assist ... are those already included with Autopilot?

Which extra features would I miss out on if I skipped the Full Self Driving $10k upgrade?

FSD - definitely not worth 10k. (i have had it since 2017)

auto-park - no
radar guided cruise control - yes
lane keeping assist - yes

all the videos you see of FSD beta so well; the videos are made in a way to promote FSD by investors. watching a video of it working well and sitting behind the wheel are extremely different experience.

also note, you can buy "FSD" anytime you get the car by using your app.

Reactions: GDawg614
You’ll get lane keep / radar cruise.

I don’t think you’ll get auto park.

I’ve bought it twice and probably will a 3rd time because I’m a stupid sucker.

The only useful features today are changing lane automatically with the blinker and the green light beep.

I have the Beta FSD and as much as it has tried to kill me it has not succeeded yet.

Many will swear they use Nav on Autopilot and FSD Beta city streets every day and love it.

You can buy it on monthly subscription to try it first.

FSD - definitely not worth 10k. (i have had it since 2017)

auto-park - no
radar guided cruise control - yes
lane keeping assist - no

all the videos you see of FSD beta so well; the videos are made in a way to promote FSD by investors. watching a video of it working well and sitting behind the wheel are extremely different experience.

also note, you can buy "FSD" anytime you get the car by using your app.
He will get lane keep assist. Also known as “Auto Pilot”.

I would like to use auto-park, radar guided cruise control, and lane keeping assist ... are those already included with Autopilot?

Which extra features would I miss out on if I skipped the Full Self Driving $10k upgrade?
Not recommended and not needed.

If you really want to waste your money, try adding the monthly subscription and try it out first before committing to the $12K purchase price.

According to Tesla, your $12,000 FSD today will be worth in excess of $100,000:

But to be prudent, you might want to first try it out before buying. That means, take delivery of your car, make sure your car doesn't get stuck in Service Center for weeks and months due to QA problems, then you can experiment with FSD with a monthly subscription first. After the first generation Autopilot that was introduced in 2014, and now with your experimental month of FSD, I think you can make a speculation of how true the $100,000 FSD price tag will be soon during the life of your new car.

• Funny
Reactions: GDawg614 and glide
I would rent FSD and see what you think. I am not sure you can get the Beta version when renting rather than buying, though. I bought it and still do not have the Beta and have had a 99 driving score for at least two weeks now. "Worth it"???? tough question. Autopilot is really good. The FSD features you get without the FSD beta that are quite nice are lane-change and exit assistance. I rely heavily on lane-change when traveling and it really allows me to relax. If you don't get on the highway a lot, I can't see much value for FSD until the beta is no longer early release. Also, the financial value of it only can be gotten if you utilize the car as a car service and monetize it.