Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full self driving option - custom order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone looking to put in a custom order right now, one of the boxes to check is "full self-driving capability". Anyone in the know about what this means for the function of your new Model S now? i.e. if you check the box, take delivery and use enhanced autopilot does it work better since more cameras are available? OR, does this box actually have zero effect on function until the software and legislators are ready to give it the ok?

Thanks in advance.

Zero difference right now. The most obvious school of thought is "don't get it right now".

On the flip side, some people think the after-market activation price is going to go up once it starts offering something. Others suspect it will start offering incremental features beyond EAP (e.g. stopping for red lights / stop signs in TACC mode) in the near future.

Obviously, if you are leasing and believe you'd want to get it before the end of your lease term, it saves money to get it ahead of time (your residual value is not increased when you purchase after-market unlocks).

But for now, basically everyone agrees, don't expect your car to be delivered with any functionality differences.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
It's an expensive way to fund further development by Tesla. I paid for it but looking back that was probably stupid since even EAP doesn't remotely live up to its promises. I may well have had my vehicle for 7 years and then upgraded and FSD is still not available. If you fancy giving Tesla a donation to fund further R&D then by all means pay for it, but don't pay for it expecting the feature any time in the foreseeable future.

At present it looks like FSD is stuck in the same sort of development hell which delayed the FWD on Model X.

But while problems of the FWD were known-unknowns - and you couldn't buy the car until they were solved - the challenges of FSD lie more toward the unknown-unknown end of the spectrum and you can buy a piece of that uncertainty. :)

So you can pay $$$$ for - essentially - faith in the Timeline of the Blessed Elon, although a further difficulty is that EAP isn't as well-behaved as it should be, which is kinda rocking the shrine.

TL;DR - pay for FSD and/or EAP, and try-to-stay-Zen. Alternatively, ignore both for your current purchase and maybe reconsider them if/when you buy another car from Tesla (assuming no other manufacturers can exceed the whole package)

Well, I went for a test drive and I liked what eap was capable of. I have never driven an ap1 car, but I am sure my commute will be much nicer with eap, even in it's current state. Also love the ota updates... the gift that keeps on giving. If reliability or new features become available with the fsd option I will probably be trying those out too. I am very excited about the possibilities here.