Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving Option vs Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on what I understand, the full self driving option for Model 3 is a software-only thing and installs no new hardware. At the same time, because of software limitations, it doesn't currently provide actual autonomous capability.

My questions:
* Is my understanding accurate?
* What functionality do you get one day 1 that's beyond the $5,000 autopilot option?
* For those who are planning to select the full self driving option, what is your reason for doing this? Is choosing the option more or less like prepaying for the feature early in order to lock in a cheaper price?

thanks

* Is my understanding accurate?
--> Yes
* What functionality do you get one day 1 that's beyond the $5,000 autopilot option?
--> None
* For those who are planning to select the full self driving option, what is your reason for doing this? Is choosing the option more or less like prepaying for the feature early in order to lock in a cheaper price?
--> I guess. I don't really understand why you would do that. Fear of a price increase perhaps?

Cheaper to unlock at time of vehicle purchase.

As features roll out you will get them incrementally till level 5 achieved.

I expect EAP will not get additional features beyond what it is now, so you will need to unlock full autonomy for these incremental features.

....* For those who are planning to select the full self driving option, what is your reason for doing this?...

1) Cheaper to prepay
2) be a part of funding the development before it will be finished.
3) grow with the system: right now, there's no difference but once the features will be activated such as from 4 cameras to 8 cameras, that will be great to experience the evolution of the system from infancy to a future finish.

Reactions: landis and EinSV
Perhaps Off Topic - idea for "special gift" for the people who waited in line to reserve Model 3.

- purchase AutoPilot $5000 and get Full Self Driving at no charge ($3000 value)
- OR when you add AutoPilot /FSD after purchase you get a discount on the $1000ea upgrade price?
Could easily be retroactive for the few cars delivered and perhaps a $1000 to $3000 credit for those who already have paid for the premium version toward their next Tesla purchase (of any product Tesla product like Powerwall, solar roof etc.)?
Where to cut off? First 24 hours? Only those physically in line? etc...

- Free paint color option or discount for paint color option.
- Free SuperCharger just like the Model S/X.

OK, my head is hurting, and what if I had to choose?

Also, these kind of options might be used to increase orders if & when needed.
As in "Tesla Summer Sale".
Always fun thinking of the future. Whiners will have plenty to whine about no doubt.

Last edited: