Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving Price - $4K upgrade no longer honored?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solid Level 3 is well worth $5,000 to me. No nag and warning to take over only in the most difficult of scenarios.
So EAP is level 2.5? I'm not sure. Anyway, I decided to see what the "levels" actually mean. Reading the Wiki article below Tesla comes off rather poorly in the miles between disengagements. Must read more about Waymo. Oh, I see Waymo is non-production vehicle. That really doesn't count.

Self-driving car - Wikipedia

So EAP is level 2.5? I'm not sure. Anyway, I decided to see what the "levels" actually mean. Reading the Wiki article below Tesla comes off rather poorly in the miles between disengagements. Must read more about Waymo. Oh, I see Waymo is non-production vehicle. That really doesn't count.

Self-driving car - Wikipedia

EAP is 2...there is no 2.5

The difference between 2 and 3 is if the driver is required to always be paying attention and ready to take over immediately if required....if so, that's level 2.

If you can take your eyes off the road, and only be expected to take over in non-emergencies, that's 3. You still need to be there and awake, but not having to pay attention minute to minute.

In 4 you never, ever, will be required to take over and could go to sleep if you wished.

5 is pretty much just 4 that works everywhere... (all lower levels can be restricted to only working in specific situations or locations, like say 'Only on divided highways' or "Only in Chandler Arizona" (which is what Waymo is mostly doing)

That miles between disengagement chart FWIW appears to be from 2016, so pretty worthless compared to the current version of EAP

Reactions: MXWing
How many people leased for 30 or 36 months and will never see FSD?
Paying for a speculative bit of software that may never be delivered on a 30-36 month lease would be a bad financial decision. At least the FSD should increase the residual value so they will get some of the money back, although they wouldn't have received any value from the feature.

Disclaimer: I paid for FSD

Yeah paying for optional, future, software features on a car you're only leasing for 3 years or less seems...an odd choice.... (then again so does leasing most cars in general unless you're seeing a significant tax benefit like from a business lease)

Yeah paying for optional, future, software features on a car you're only leasing for 3 years or less seems...an odd choice.... (then again so does leasing most cars in general unless you're seeing a significant tax benefit like from a business lease)

With a 50% residual though, you are only paying 50% of the initial cost so it is a much cheaper punt from that point of view.

As others have said it isn't and 'all or nothing' deal, Tesla only have to deliver something that FSD does that EAP doesn't and there will be some value in the deal....

Reactions: MXWing
Where did I say it was surprising?. You shouldn't make assumptions. I found it more amusing than surprising.
You made note of this information and put "lol" at the end. That indicates to me that you weren't expecting them to already be doing what you described, and/or that it wasn't already common knowledge that they've been doing that for a while now.

So, what makes it "amusing"?

Seems that those ordering the standard autopilot got much more than they had bargained for, with all the updates and additional features, while the FSD benefits have not yet clicked in.

Why do you say that? I would argue that AP buyers still haven't gotten what they bargained for. AP 2.0 (or 2.5) has only recently started to outperform AP 1.0. Prior to that AP 1.0 was better even though 2.0/2.5 was much more expensive.

Autopilot was advertised as providing "on-ramp to off-ramp" automation which still hasn't been delivered. All of the improvements (and there have been improvements) bring it closer to what was promised. AP hasn't over delivered yet (although I hope it does some day).

Hm. So with FSD off the ordering menu, I’m thinking I should bite while it’s avaialble for only one week.

However it’s frustrating that my local service center is saying the original 4K price to upgrade isn’t being honoured to anyone.

Anyone successfully able to do this recently? How did you do it?

However it’s frustrating that my local service center is saying the original 4K price to upgrade isn’t being honoured to anyone. Anyone successfully able to do this recently? How did you do it?

Wondering the same. You can still order it under 'autopilot upgrades' for 5k but not the 4k stated while placing the order in june or before... Guess I should have ordered initially for 3k...

Glad to hear that worked for you, @SSonnentag !

I've been assured by the person I've been emailing with on the Executive Care team that if you purchase for $5000 they will refund the $1000 within 30 days (for people who ordered their cars before June 25).

I'm about to pull the trigger on that -- just waiting another day for my credit card to cycle, so hopefully the charge and refund will be on the same billing cycle. Also need to talk with my insurance company - I want to be sure that they'll cover the cost of FSD if the car happens to be in a collision...

Hmm, I could have swore it said 4k after delivery for mine and I ordered on June 30th.

In my conversation with the rep. at Tesla, he said all orders placed June 25 or earlier would honor the $4k price. I know they increased the price to $5k during that week (hence the cutoff around the end of the month), but I don't know exactly what day they changed it on the website, sorry! Maybe someone else has a screenshot?

Update:
Here are some reports on June 26 of the price increase:
FSD after purchase software upgrade now $5000?

According to my service center, it is now a $5k upgrade regardless of when you purchased your model 3. Take that with a bucket of salt though. Service centers aren't exactly on the forefront of Tesla knowledge when it comes to policy, changes, etc.

What I don't get is that they're apparently confident enough in their FSD software to up the upgrade price yet they recently had to increase the autopilot nags. If they have solid FSD code, why not port bits to autopilot to increase safety/reliability rather than increase nags.

Also, I'd like to know what's going to happen in a situation where an autopilot failure (while hands off wheel) results in a death but if FSD had been purchased, the driver would have likely survived. I feel like they're going to *have* to add some of the FSD features (additional active cameras, etc) to autopilot but require hands on the wheel or it deactivates as usual. Basically, FSD would get you a hands off experience but the safety features would be present in standard autopilot (with the hands on wheel requirement).
So far the human is always still responsible. If you don’t buy a feature the car company isn’t going to be held responsible for not giving it away for free.

I have been asking my service center since June (June!) for response on this. After many escalations here is the response from HQ:

“On 6/26/2018, the post-delivery price of Full Self-Driving (FSD) increased from $4,000 to $5,000. Tesla is no longer offering refunds for owners who had ordered before 6/25/18.”

Basically they are saying we used to offer refunds like when you started asking but since we told you "we don't know, we are looking into it" for months, it's now officially too late. Mildly frustrating :)